Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

An offshoot of this from EE chat. Long fucking read but it's good if you want to learn about our college system and debate the merits of ours and yours. This really should the last college thread we ever have since of it's size. I could get citations for everything but I don't have the time to cit everything. The fourth part, what changes I would put in place to fix the issues with our system, will come later. I have a life too you know.

FatherTed wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

are you not slightly disappointed in your society that it costs so much to learn?
I was just joking. The student loan/college cost thing over here is crazy.

I don't think we should adopt your system though. It needs radical change but nothing radical in the way yours is. I could explain further if you care.
please do. our system isn't perfect either, especially the tripling of fees in the last few years. but the loan is a very small apr, and we get (nationally) large grants also
The word, college and university are mostly interchangeable over here so if you see me switch between the two don't get confused.

First off an explanation of how our system works for our European friends:

There are two kinds of colleges in the U.S. state and private. State colleges receive tax money for just being state colleges. State tax money offsets the tuition cost in theory. That's why if you apply to a state university they will have in state and out of state tuition fields.The average in state tuition cost for an U.S. university is $10,000 per year.

Private universities only receive government money in the form of research grants. They usually only get these form the Federal government. The 50 states almost never give out research grants. Since Private colleges are private and don't receive government money they can set any tution they want and have no controls set in place to keep it down. The average private university cost about $30,000 a year here in tuition.

Since the U.S. median income is between $26,000 and $40,000, depending on how you decide to measure it, the federal government steps in to make sure a sizable chunk of the U.S. population can receive an education. Due to this 30% of the U.S. population has at least a B.A.

Now the Federal government has two programs to make sure people can go to college. The Federal student load system and the Pell grant system. The Pell Grant system, the one Mr. Libertarian Jay used, gives out roughly $6000 a year to students who make under the federal poverty line. This used to cover an entire year of school when it was enacted but the cos of college has gone up to where it is now and the pell grant amount hasn't been raised to match.

The way our student loan program works is tricky- There are two loans, private and federal. The private loans aren't really private. The government guarantees all of the private loans given out. Meaning you will always get a private loan since the Federal government promises to pay it out if something happens. This is why if you have a student loan contract you will notice there is a section that says your loan will be discharged if you die or are ruled disabled by the Federal government. Rates and plans on these loans vary. The public federal loans work by giving you a very low interest rate and in some cases covering the interest while you are in school. You only have to pay them back when you finish school.

Now that you understand how the system works I'll explain the problems with it.

1. College cost go up every year. It rises faster than inflation. Sometimes 3 times as fast. The cost goes up due to the loans the U.S. gives out. Because the U.S. promises to cover the loans, loan providers will always give out loans no matter how silly or extreme they are. Because a B.A. is the cost of entry into the white collar work market, people will always take out loans to go to school no matter how big they are. Because of schools don't have any incentive to manage cost or to make sure tuition stays low. Because of the exclusiveness of private schools, they are allowed to go crazy with their cost even if the school doesn't justify it. In short tuition will always rise without anything to stop it. The government gives out the money with no oversight up until recently.

2. Because of this constantly flow of money, money gets wasted in many many way. For instance our college sports teams have budgets, and stadiums that rival national sports teams. Imagine if Oxford had their very own Manchester United. That's how money gets spent at a lot of state universes. To make it worse, how much schools spend on their sports team is rising quicker than how they spend on educating students.

3. Because of the cost to go to school there are two big gaps that exist between the college population and the general. The race and income gap. Both gaps are getting bigger. Blacks and Hispanics are very much under represented on U.S. colleges across the country. They also tend to make it too the finish line in much smaller numbers. The even bigger gap is the income gap. Any minority you meet on campus will not be your average minority. They will be in the upper tier of the income distribution for their race. This same thing affects whites. Poor whites do not exist on campuses mostly.Your race and intelligence doesn't matter so much when it comes to education, it's what income bracket you were born into. Because of the cost of college the must intelligent people don't always get to go but the mostly intelligent and wealthy or the least intelligence and wealthy do. That's a problem since our education system should be the great equalizer in our society.

4. To take advantage of the loan money a new monster has shown up. For Profit Universities. These schools are the ones you will will see running ads on television promising careers and degrees in sort amounts of time. The degrees they give are mostly worthless. The cost of their schools are on par with private universities. Their enrollment standards are nonexistent and their students overwhelmingly from the poorest communities. They have enrolled military veterans and suck them dry of their G.I. bills. Their recruiters are told to promise students anything in order to get them to enroll. There was even an instance of the largest for profit school enrolling homeless people in order to get the loan money the government promises. Only recently has there been an attempt by Obama and Congress to stop the for profit industry. It met predictable resistance.

5. The fifth and final issue is with our loan system on the student side. The federal government outsources their federal student loans out to private student loan providers to service. Meaning that federal student loan I mentioned before, the one where the interest is covered and you only have to pay it back after school, is collected by student loan providers. This puts student loan providers in the position of debt gives and debt collectors. Because of the government guaranteeing the loans and the debt collection agency getting a sliver of uncollected debt payments, it is more profitable for the student loan provider for you to default on your student loans. But when you defult on your loans it doesn't mean they disappear. It only means the federal government is going to move in and take away your income tax return or withhold services and other things until the provider gets it's money. Student loans can not be discharged due to bankruptcy.

3. What works about this sytem.

1. Because of how restrictive it is, the system prevents academic inflation like the one the U.K. is suffering.

2. U.S. schools are ranked the best in world by leaps. Our schools are still the goal of students from all over the world. The rest of the world measures their academic standards by our schools. We still suck some of the best and brightest from around the world into our system.

There are other things that work about the system that I will explain later.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Since it looks like I am going to end up being a history teacher in a few years education is a bit of an interest to me

I also left out some stuff under the problems tab, mainly how Pell grants are no longer viable.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-04-01 12:47:23)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5361|London, England
I don't really think it's broken. If money is an issue, go to a community college for two years and then finish at a state school for the cost of a single semester at a private university. Will the education be equal? No, but it's plenty to get a career started.

The people that complain usually went to a private university they couldn't afford because they wanted the prestige even though their future earnings wouldn't be able to pay down the debt without struggle.

It's like being poor and buying a macbook when all you need is a lenovo. Silly decision based on wanting a brand name.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Well Mr. Pell Grant, our countries student loan debt is 1 trillion dollars. It's larger than our credit card debt and there is no tangibles to back up our student loan debt so I think it might be a problem since we live in a connected credit market and global economy.

I could be wrong!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The problem is that the loans aren't tied to future earning potential. All degrees are treated equal.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Okay, Mr. Sold his soul to the military industrial complex to pay for school, I'm guessing you are in favor of only giving out loans to pay for engineering degrees?

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-04-01 13:10:36)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
No, but every other type of loan is tied to income, why are college loans exceptional? If you make access to credit more difficult, universities will be forced to lower tuition. Easy credit fueled the housing bubble, and it's been fueling the college bubble.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6002|...

Macbeth wrote:

Okay, Mr. Sold his soul to the military industrial complex to pay for school,
lol

you have your moments macbeth
inane little opines
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6735|Cambridge, England
I take issue with the last bit of your post where you state that US schools are leaps ahead of everybody else. Cambridge and Oxford are always in the top 10 universitys world wide. Considering how much smaller the UK is thats worth a mention.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6002|...
the 'best universities' lists are horribly, horribly anglocentric. Usually about 70% of the universities in a top 100 are located in english-speaking countries. It's bullcrap really.
inane little opines
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6674|UK
well he's right

here is the perception of 17000 academics

Harvard
    MIT
    Cambridge
    Stanford
    California, Berkeley
    Oxford
    Princeton
    Tokyo
    California, Los Angeles
    Yale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17368108
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5704|College Park, MD
I'm always shocked by the number of students at my uni who are from Pennsylvania. Penn State is about equal with us on almost all fronts, yet UMD is a hell of a lot more expensive for them since they're out of state! I've even met kids from Virginia who could go to VTech or UVA or William & Mary for cheap.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

m3thod wrote:

well he's right

here is the perception of 17000 academics

Harvard
    MIT
    Cambridge
    Stanford
    California, Berkeley
    Oxford
    Princeton
    Tokyo
    California, Los Angeles
    Yale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17368108
+
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11317176
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_R … iversities
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'm always shocked by the number of students at my uni who are from Pennsylvania. Penn State is about equal with us on almost all fronts, yet UMD is a hell of a lot more expensive for them since they're out of state! I've even met kids from Virginia who could go to VTech or UVA or William & Mary for cheap.
Going to school out of state 'for the experience' is pretty standard. So is crying about the debt accumulated afterwards.
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6594
Design a new college system?

A.Sci - Assistant of Science (2 yr /60Cr)
E.Sci - Engineer of Science (4yr /120Cr)
M.Sci - Mad Scientist (6 yr )
PhA - Professor hiding in Academia (8+ years)

Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6735|Cambridge, England
The rankings take into account Nobel prizes and journal publishing. I would imagine that journals especially are predominately English therefore English speakers will likely have far more involvement?

I would guess higher level academia would be / is highly conservative and would insist on all sorts of red tape that favours western / english speakers. Hence the disproportionately high representation on the league tables. America being by far the biggest group of (nearly) english speakers means they dominate the tables.

With that in mind to get a fair comparison you would have to assess the countries education systems differently.

What is the purpose of the education system?

To give your entire population letters after their name?
To lift the academics from poverty?
To prepare people for "life" ?
To get a job?
To create a heavily technological economy?

Just about every person you ask will have a different view on it. So it stands to reason that each nation will have a different view on it. To indulge in some sweeping generalizations, could we say that Japan has the most successful education system as they have very low crime rates despite a high population density and a very technological society? You could argue that the Chinese work ethic is a result of their education and certainly is something we lack in the UK. The German system has bought up a very engineer orientated accurate culture whereas in the UK (and USA?) going to uni is seen very much as a life experience and something worth getting in to a whole load of debt for even when it will not increase your lifetime earnings (media studies, outdoor activities all that stuff).

In the UK we are being pretty stupid really. We have pumped everybody through university and given them a "degree" which is great except we now have a severe shortage of skilled labour; plumbers, electricians, etc. We now have a situation where a large proportion of graduates are either unemployed (and on social benefits) or stacking shelves / similar as a "temporary" job because they dont want a career as just a plumber.

Daft.

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2012-04-02 15:21:16)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5546|Toronto

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

The rankings take into account Nobel prizes and journal publishing. I would imagine that journals especially are predominately English therefore English speakers will likely have far more involvement?

I would guess higher level academia would be / is highly conservative and would insist on all sorts of red tape that favours western / english speakers. Hence the disproportionately high representation on the league tables. America being by far the biggest group of (nearly) english speakers means they dominate the tables.
This whole assumption is shoddy.

Academics who are not comfortable with English will often have their articles translated by other academics who are, just so they can have their articles published in the most prestigious journals.

Most university rankings also account for journal citations from non-english journals. Just look at the number of Chinese and Japanese schools in the top 50.

It has everything to do with academic merit, and little to do with the language the work was originally conceived in.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719
we do it pretty well here in aussie
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6002|Vortex Ring State

rdx-fx wrote:

bahahahaha

Also Cybargs you like aussie cause you got in with just an SAT score.

Free public college here (community college) needs to be stratified imo, differentiate between good students and bad within them and possibly send them to separate schools.

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2012-04-02 18:07:25)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719

Trotskygrad wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

bahahahaha

Also Cybargs you like aussie cause you got in with just an SAT score.
And I don't shell out a ton of money for tuition either. Our debt system is designed fairly well too.

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/fees/costs.shtml

Science nerds get shit on the cheap

HECS loans are pretty much student loans that are covered by the Fed Gov and are payed back via taxes once you make a salary over 45k. Works fine now but I feel in the future we'd be pretty fucked once too many people go to uni... Then again they can just raise the entrance scores and allow more intl' students who pay 30k+ a year
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6670

Macbeth wrote:

That's a problem since our education system should be the great equalizer in our society.
No, this is the problem.  A society of entitlement, made through loans to those who should never have gone to college.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6635|949

LOL at community college being free.  Why should students be separated at the community college level?  What happens to people who think they know what they want and enroll into a 4 year school only to realize they have no idea?  You're either not college age yet or ignorant to the fact a large chunk of college students change their majors after they are enrolled.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yeah really, community colleges are one step above high school. They're the fallback for those that have no idea what they want to do, don't have much money, or flunked out of a four year and need to pick their grades up. Making them free is a bad idea though... It just means there will be a ton of people wasting everyones time on campus
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

That's a problem since our education system should be the great equalizer in our society.
No, this is the problem.  A society of entitlement, made through loans to those who should never have gone to college.
Society of entitlement old man spiel okay.

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. I think our education system should be designed in a way that people of lower socioeconomic standing have an opportunity for genuine advancement through higher education. As I have posted, that is not the case now.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It is 100% the case.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard