Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York

mikkel wrote:

I was so sorely disappointed with this game. Half the length of the other games, and half of that was spent being herded from one pointless "Oh, hey, I know you from the other games!" encounter to the next. I suppose it was to be expected, given the developer and the publisher.
I disagree. While there was room in the actual gameplay to be improved, the game as a whole was pretty awesome. You see old people you'd met in previous games because that was the point. Shepard was riling up the galaxy, addressing the need to band together - and depending on how much you explored/tried, he did.

But the ending still bothers me and probably always will.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Without the Mass Relays, everything you've done means nothing. Trillions will still die. The Krogans will die due to lack of supply/overpopulation (if you cured the genophage). The Turians and Quarians will die due to a lack of supply lines. The Asari will most likely die off. And what makes the least sense is that if the lore of the Arrival DLC is true, exploding a Mass Relay kills off the majority of the population of any system that a Mass Relay is housed. So everything is gone, everything you've done is for nothing if the Mass Relays are gone, and everything is destroyed if they are as well. It just doesn't make any sense. Not to mention there's little change in the endings themselves.

The indoctrination theory seems to be the most likely reason for the ending as is, and you have to think with just the very indication that DLC is being released that it's on the right track. And yet on the other hand, the Reaper on Rannoch seemed to be sure that regardless of what Shepard did, it was destiny that the Galaxy was going to be devoid of space-faring life regardless of the outcome. So in the end... all the choices you made, as much as it might anger you, really never did mean anything. This was meant to happen as it always had throughout the universe's billions of years of existence.

It's the first video game ending that actually has me pissed off and had me truly going back and forth, so I'll give them that. With Arkham City, I was disappointed in the ending but I didn't really care in the end. It's still easily one of my favorite series of all time.
firebolt5
+114|6154
Can you imagine if the rumored DLC ending still sucks?  Oh man...
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma
Just finished it and didn't think the ending was THAT horrible.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Chou
+737|6790
The fact that BW is now doing everything to please everyone with ME3 makes them even more of a joke than when they pumped out the garbage that was DAII.

BW needs to die, creativity has, now it's their turn.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma
I feel so bad for the geth.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6574|London

Chou wrote:

The fact that BW is now doing everything to please everyone with ME3 makes them even more of a joke than when they pumped out the garbage that was DAII.

BW needs to die, creativity has, now it's their turn.
harsh words

I think they're still capable of making good games. ME3 isn't completely terrible. But it's obvious they're being rushed and so everything is half the experience it should be. If people stop buying their shit it will be a good wake-up call for them and they can go back to putting effort into their games.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

Effort issues like the Tali mess aside, I think it's the whole DLC model that has ruined my taste of the industry.  And because of it, with the exception of Skyrim, I'm held off purchasing single player games until the GOTY with all DLC comes out.  I purchased ME2 that way.  ME3 will be the same way.  BTW, ME3 at $40 in the Microsoft Store...
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6468

The ending

Last edited by NooBesT (2012-03-19 11:12:56)

https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

mikkel wrote:

I was so sorely disappointed with this game. Half the length of the other games, and half of that was spent being herded from one pointless "Oh, hey, I know you from the other games!" encounter to the next. I suppose it was to be expected, given the developer and the publisher.
Uh how much of the game did you actually complete?

My first playthrough took longer than my ME2 playthrough.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mikkel
+383|6600

Spark wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Uh how much of the game did you actually complete?

My first playthrough took longer than my ME2 playthrough.
Every part of it. All the side quests, all the random conversations, and it didn't take more than a bit over 20 hours. I got at least 30 out of Mass Effect 2 on my first play-through.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
I see... my first playthrough was 35 hours compared to 25 on ME2. Definitely didn't feel shorter.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
GR34
+215|6544|ALBERTA> CANADA

Spark wrote:

I see... my first playthrough was 35 hours compared to 25 on ME2. Definitely didn't feel shorter.
wowI did the whole game is 22 all the war assets all the side quests
firebolt5
+114|6154
I think both my first time playthroughs for ME2 and ME3 were about the same, 40 hours.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
So Bioware's co-founder basically confirmed there will be add-on DLC for the ending providing "clarity".

There is a successful and a terrible way to do this.

Successful:

1) Maintain the original ending, simply elaborate on everything you left out (perhaps with the indoctrination theory)
2) Make your choices throughout the series really affect the ending
3) Explain what happens post-ending to crew members/earth/mass relays/etc.
4) Make it free.

Terrible:

1) Completely change the ending to a happy fun time smiles all around ending
2) Still have basically the same endings no matter what you've done throughout the series
3) Give no further details on crew members
4) Charge $10.

My bet's on the latter.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
(1) + (4) of the former would do fine for me

Last edited by Spark (2012-03-21 18:20:51)

~ Richard Feynman
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
Making it free might be an impossibility given how anal MicroSoft is about DLC pricing.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Making it free might be an impossibility given how anal MicroSoft is about DLC pricing.
Gears MP maps?
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6467

Ilocano wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Gears MP maps?
True, MS does let some shit slide. I think they let you have 1 free DLC pack.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia
boy, does russian so called "localization" suck! i torrented in the original english files at release (had the game pre-ordered myself) but the game has been updated since and now some dialogues and stuff don't seem to work for me. could somebody help by uploading a coupla files from the latest updated verion, please? i need GDFBinary_en_US.dll from ME3 install dir and BIOGame_INT.tlk from <ME3 install dir>\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole\. thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-03-25 08:05:16)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
They announced an extended cut DLC is coming this summer. For free.

Can't complain.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
but we will
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6467
Asking gamers to not complain about everything is like asking a dog to not bark at anything.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6630|New Hampshire, USA
Just finished ME3, I know i'm a little late, but

I've loved this series since ME1, and though the third game was lacking a little compared to the first two as far as gameplay, the story makes up for it imo.

I loved ME3 just up until I Spoiler (highlight to read):
was beamed onto the citadel.  from that point on, it wasn't horrible, but I feel.... I dont know what to feel.  The mass relays being destroyed kinda breaks apart the whole point of saving the current cycle.  I chose to destroy the reapers, but now it kind of feels all in vain.  Idk, I'm still kinda numb from the ending but I don't think it was totally horrible... just alot left unanswered I guess.

Last edited by Eagle (2012-04-09 21:50:49)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6720|Ireland | Monaghan

where the fook is the vid com panel thing?

nvm found it

Last edited by IrishGrimReaper (2012-04-10 07:45:54)

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6630|New Hampshire, USA
So my friend showed me this really interesting theory about the ending:
It has been theorized that everything after the reaper beam hits you before you make it to the citadel takes place inside Shepard's head as a part of reaper indoctrination.  When I first heard this, I rolled my eyes, but after watching the video and considering the evidence, it is a compelling argument.

The video is just over 20 min, but if you like the mass effect series it's definitely worth a look.  Helps fix up the ending at least.

Oh super spoilers btw:

Oh, another interesting though as well:
Shepard was the key to defeat the Reapers. "No organic ever made it that far" but Shepard resisted indoctrination and the temptation of seemingly infinitife power, he ultimately rejected it. The Crucible could only be build in a joint effort by many civilizations (without being sabotaged) and Harbinger was the Catalyst, the examiner. Shepard was the representative of the people? of the galaxy.

And he passed the trial, he proofed the worth of him and the other people.

Shepard united a galaxy. He prooved that in a time when the galaxy is threatened by a greater menace (synthetic enemy) all the different races would rally and fight for their future together, without being divided and seduced by indoctrination and hunger for power.

The guardians of organic life, the Reapers, had fullfilled their mission. Because of them a galactic civilization has evolved that could defend itself against a greater synthetic threat.

Last edited by Eagle (2012-04-10 14:06:27)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard