Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6812

Dilbert_X wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

You do understand that every joule of energy has to come from somewhere right? Whether it's from burning gasoline in the engine, or coal in a power plant to fill a battery, the energy ultimately comes from carbon. If you ride on a train, you have a carbon footprint from the overhead electric lines. Just because it is out of your immediate vision does not mean it doesn't exist.
Yes, but you can produce energy with hydro, wind and solar power in a power plant without a carbon footprint.
You can't do that directly in a car or a train.
Power plants are also more efficient with up 90% efficiency from cogeneration and use of both electricity and heating.

Also, renewable sources (like biomass) is also preferable to burning gas and oil.
We need the latter for much more than producing energy and driving cars.
Synthesizing plastics or producing chemical and pharmaceutical products from wood on the other hand is still near impossible.

So, the only logic step is to further increase sources like hydro and wind power as much as possible and wherever possible.
Not by ignoring it all and looking for ways to find and extract for oil and gas.
I guess Jay didn't do thermodynamics.

So many 'engineers' who don't understand the basics /fwp
Uh, among others, the carbon footprint to manufacture the generators and cells?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

globefish23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

You do understand that every joule of energy has to come from somewhere right? Whether it's from burning gasoline in the engine, or coal in a power plant to fill a battery, the energy ultimately comes from carbon. If you ride on a train, you have a carbon footprint from the overhead electric lines. Just because it is out of your immediate vision does not mean it doesn't exist.
Yes, but you can produce energy with hydro, wind and solar power in a power plant without a carbon footprint.
Power plants are also more efficient with up 90% efficiency from cogeneration and use of both electricity and heating.

Also, renewable sources (like biomass) is also preferable to burning gas and oil.
Synthesizing plastics or producing chemical and pharmaceutical products from wood on the other hand is still near impossible.

So, the only logic step is to further increase sources like hydro and wind power as much as possible and wherever possible.
Not by ignoring it all and looking for ways to find and extract for oil and gas.
You can not have more than a fraction of your energy sources coming from renewables. Please stop believing Green propaganda. ktnxbai.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Jay wrote:

I guess Jay didn't do thermodynamics.

So many 'engineers' who don't understand the basics /fwp
Thermo was actually one of my favorite classes. If you lived in an ideal world and could ration power and force people to use it at certain times, and could keep the overall population within the constraints of whatever power is being generated, then sure, renewables are viable. Except you can't, so they're not. When it's cold you need power to heat homes, except when its cold you generally have a lot less sunlight to play with i.e. solar is supplemental only. The wind does not always blow i.e. wind generation is supplemental only. So unless you plan on constructing massive battery banks and about four times the number of plants that are necessary to keep a grid going during optimal conditions (because 75%+ of the time, conditions are non-optimal), then you're living in a fantasy world. You claim to be an engineer, but obviously they left logic out of your curriculum.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6336|Roma
Tidal, Hydro and geo-thermal don't count as renewable?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Tidal, Hydro and geo-thermal don't count as renewable?
They are all location specific. Hydro is great, but there are only so many rivers and people complain about fish kills. Geo-thermal is only viable near a crust hot spot, and not everyone lives on the coast.
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6336|Roma
It is true that power stations have to be outside my front door because power travel though. you have a good point.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The problem really has nothing to do with power generation. Generation is easy. It's storage that is the problem. Batteries are expensive, toxic, and for the really high end ones, they require Rare Earth Minerals which China has the majority of, and is hoarding.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

PrivateVendetta wrote:

It is true that power stations have to be outside my front door because power travel though. you have a good point.
Stick to flying planes please.
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6336|Roma

Jay wrote:

The problem really has nothing to do with power generation. Generation is easy. It's storage that is the problem. Batteries are expensive, toxic, and for the really high end ones, they require Rare Earth Minerals which China has the majority of, and is hoarding.
back to one of the first points about energy having to be made somewhere, and electric vehicles etc. just shift the generation from the vehicle to the power station - power stations are multiples more efficient at producing the equivalent power required for 10 cars than 10 petrol engines are they not? I'm not going to comment on batteries, I know nothing about them being made, and you're probably right about the actual footprint.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Jay wrote:

back to one of the first points about energy having to be made somewhere, and electric vehicles etc. just shift the generation from the vehicle to the power station - power stations are multiples more efficient at producing the equivalent power required for 10 cars than 10 petrol engines are they not? I'm not going to comment on batteries, I know nothing about them being made, and you're probably right about the actual footprint.
No, not really. Have you ever compared the cost of heating a home with electricity versus gas?

With gas (or oil) heat, you buy the gas from the gas company, pump it into a furnace and send steam throughout the pipes of your home in order to heat it. If you have electric heat, you'll pay about three times as much. Yes, they're boiling the water in their steam plants for you, but they lose a ton of efficiency when they convert that steam into electricity, lose more of it when they transport the electricity to your home, and when all is said and done, you've tripled the cost for the same gain.

A gasoline powered engine has a certain efficiency rating attached to it, usually in the 25-30% range i.e. 25-30% of the energy it produces when it ignites gasoline is transferred into usable power via the pistons, driveshaft etc. 70-75% is lost to the atmosphere as heat exhaust.

A modern steam plant (i.e. all non-wind, photovoltaic etc.power plants) has an efficiency of around 40-45% tops. After conversion, transfer, and losses in the battery, I guarantee that you end up using more energy to run a battery driven car than you would by simply burning the fuel directly.

It just allows people to make the unpleasantness go out of sight, out of mind, kind of like all the environmental regs did with our heavy industry. Chase em all out, get rid of the smokestacks and turn the old factory into parkland, except it just moved to the other side of the planet and pollutes more than ever now
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6336|Roma
Even with non-perfect and inefficient driving styles?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6336|Roma
And I'm going to assume someone running a 2L engine is going to use a shit load more equivalent power than someone using an equivalent battery motor that just draws the power it needs to get it somewhere?

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2012-03-16 13:14:07)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum

Jay wrote:

it's not so much that china has it all, while being called rare earth, they're surprisingly common - far more than silver/gold for example. it's more a case of china got in very early on getting to grips with finding+extracting it. everyone else is basically decades behind
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

Jay wrote:

it's not so much that china has it all, while being called rare earth, they're surprisingly common - far more than silver/gold for example. it's more a case of china got in very early on getting to grips with finding+extracting it. everyone else is basically decades behind
I'm not a geologist, but I do know that they have at least half of the worlds supply. They recently made huge finds in Greenland... and in the Taliban controlled areas of Afghanistan
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum
known sizeable deposits yes, but it really is a case of they looked very very hard for it. with the landmass they have it's no surprise they have an awful lot, but similarly there's probably assloads of it in north america, russia and northern europe, but everyone else was quite content to let the chinese get their hands dirty (it's quite a pain in the arse seperating it all out apparently, more so than normal ore) doing the job
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum
your point on renewable energy is a good one though, it's not green (at all) at the moment but the more attention/research/money it gets, hopefully the better and more viable it gets. until then we should be shovelling money into nuclear and moving away from coal/gas/oil imo (except for places where nuclear really isn't viable because of the geology)
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Anyway, the way to become a billionaire in this world is to find an energy storage device that is better than carbon
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum
the fukishima one is a funny example, people declare nuclear unsafe and blah blah 50yr old design... it still took a fucking earthquake AND a tsunami to make that old facility go critical. yet the germans cancel all their plans to construct new reactors germany, the land renowned for chart-topping earthquakes and tsunamis
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum

Jay wrote:

Anyway, the way to become a billionaire in this world is to find an energy storage device that is better than carbon
c
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

the fukishima one is a funny example, people declare nuclear unsafe and blah blah 50yr old design... it still took a fucking earthquake AND a tsunami to make that old facility go critical. yet the germans cancel all their plans to construct new reactors germany, the land renowned for chart-topping earthquakes and tsunamis
the land with the least sunny days and largest concentration of solar
-Frederick Bastiat
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6816|UK
Germany was to decommission all its nuclear sites by 2025 anyway, no one actually knew or more to the point cared.

all fukishima did was to reduce that by 3 years cos of the national outcry & to please the green lot.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum
irregardless, they were dumb to place their energy security on oil and gas. as far as natural resources go, all germany really has is (some) coal and an assload of iron. they have a little bit of uranium, but the majority of the stuff in their reactors comes from france, which comes from africa. hedging your bets on some renewable (germany doesn't have the coastal or geothermal options scotland or the scandanavian countries have) and coal/oil/gas all from russia is very shortsighted.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6917|PNW

I had to watch an ad for Dark Shadows before watching the trailer for Dark Shadows on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWvkFlyl4M
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX

The King of Derp wrote:

Thermo was actually one of my favorite classes. If you lived in an ideal world and could ration power and force people to use it at certain times, and could keep the overall population within the constraints of whatever power is being generated, then sure, renewables are viable. Except you can't, so they're not. When it's cold you need power to heat homes, except when its cold you generally have a lot less sunlight to play with i.e. solar is supplemental only. The wind does not always blow i.e. wind generation is supplemental only. So unless you plan on constructing massive battery banks and about four times the number of plants that are necessary to keep a grid going during optimal conditions (because 75%+ of the time, conditions are non-optimal), then you're living in a fantasy world. You claim to be an engineer, but obviously they left logic out of your curriculum.
Yes of course, non-carbon energy and temporary energy storage are unpossible
It just takes a little planning and lateral thinking, for example:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-07/asia … _s=PM:ASIA

http://beyondzeroemissions.org/zero-car … ralia-2020

But we've been over this before, you didn't get it the last time either, despite being shown it is feasible, demonstrated and in commercial use.

And I did a real engineering degree, not a two-bit boat management course at community college
Lateral thinking is hard to teach too.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-03-16 16:59:05)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX
I can't get the glasses I want, opticians only stock high-priced designer hipster glasses now /fwp
https://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/034/Hipster%20Glasses%20You%20know%20it%20s%20true_286934_1915044.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard