globefish23 wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

This is one of the reasons America is so fat... We have to get the biggest bang for our buck, and everyone charges more for healthier foods.
What a striking affinity to the big, gas-guzzling SUVs that Americans drive.

Another affinity:
Drive a less energy-wasting car -> save the environment.
Spend the money on healthy food -> get thinner.
save the environment.

a new British study suggests that electric vehicles might not be as green as environmentalists think. Because of pollution from the factories that make batteries, an electric car has a bigger carbon footprint than a gas-burning vehicles until it's traveled 80,000 miles, according to the research, which was financed by the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership.
Electric cars just aren't "a green option," says Ed Morrissey at Hot Air. "Not only do electric vehicles produce just as much carbon in their overall cycle as internal-combustion engines, the need to replace the batteries actually makes them less green than current technology." If we want a cleaner way to get around, "the answer is natural gas, not electric vehicles."
source http://theweek.com/article/index/216263 … nvironment

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-03-13 07:56:40)

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6469|Graz, Austria

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

This is one of the reasons America is so fat... We have to get the biggest bang for our buck, and everyone charges more for healthier foods.

Another affinity:
save the environment.

a new British study suggests that electric vehicles might not be as green as environmentalists think. Because of pollution from the factories that make batteries, an electric car has a bigger carbon footprint than a gas-burning vehicles until it's traveled 80,000 miles, according to the research, which was financed by the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership.
Electric cars just aren't "a green option," says Ed Morrissey at Hot Air. "Not only do electric vehicles produce just as much carbon in their overall cycle as internal-combustion engines, the need to replace the batteries actually makes them less green than current technology." If we want a cleaner way to get around, "the answer is natural gas, not electric vehicles."
Well, that's because most batteries are made in China, which gives a crap about saving the environment (except for pandas).

Besides, my point was a 'less energy-wasting car', i.e. not a SUV.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

globefish23 wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Another affinity:
save the environment.

Well, that's because most batteries are made in China, which gives a crap about saving the environment (except for pandas).

Besides, my point was a 'less energy-wasting car', i.e. not a SUV.
Yeah, it's because they are made in China

You do understand that every joule of energy has to come from somewhere right? Whether it's from burning gasoline in the engine, or coal in a power plant to fill a battery, the energy ultimately comes from carbon. If you ride on a train, you have a carbon footprint from the overhead electric lines. Just because it is out of your immediate vision does not mean it doesn't exist.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-13 08:29:23)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,738|6882|Oxferd Ohire
Seems your point was wrong
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,738|6882|Oxferd Ohire
Black sand studios site is down
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
HITNRUNXX
+220|6855|Oklahoma City

Jaekus wrote:

It's the same story here, pisses me off. Not sure how a salad is expensive to prepare when you can buy a whole bag of salad that is enough for four meals for $3 at the supermarket, and one chicken breast is like $3. So $6 to make four meals and they charge $10 per meal??

Karma System wrote:

You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6855|Oklahoma City

globefish23 wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Another affinity:
Good thing I get decent gas mileage in a non-SUV AND ate a salad.

I am obviously awesome.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Get excited when package at the door, pen missing from pen and pencil set ordered
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6642

Jay wrote:

Get excited when package at the door, pen missing from pen and pencil set ordered
it's good to see you graduated from crayon. sorry to hear about the pen.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6534

must see pen & pencil set
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

west-phoenix-az wrote:

must see pen & pencil set
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NSYj9-N9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H3 … 00_details
-Frederick Bastiat
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6799
A mechanic just quoted me $450 to replace a water pump on my S10 ($200 for the pump, according to him...plus a couple of hours of labor, and a fluid flush)

Called an auto parts store, and a brand new water pump is $50.

After talking to the mechanic again (it was hard, with his foot in his mouth), he explained how he has no problem putting on a "lower quality" pump, as if the one he was going to put on was handcrafted on Vulcan's forge...

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-03-13 13:04:32)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
west-phoenix-az
+632|6534
I've had good results with the Checker/O'Reilly/AutoZone/Napa water pumps, alternators, starters, and power steering pumps. Many of them have outlasted more expensive name brands, plus you can get them with lifetime warranty, which really pays off if you keep the vehicle for a long time. If you do the work yourself, you know its done right and you save money.

If you'd rather go with original brand parts you can usually find them online for much less than local or the dealer. Amazon has pretty good prices on a lot of auto parts.

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2012-03-13 13:19:21)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6799
Yeah a water pump is something I could actually probably replace, if I was at my parent's house with my dad's shop at my disposal...but I'm stuck in an apartment complex 4 hours away, during midterms before Spring Break...

I don't want to drive home with the pump busted, as it's leaking like a bastard at this point.

I told the guy O'Reilly's price was 1/4 what he told me, which was when he was all "oh, well I can look and see if I can find a cheaper part, no problem"...look and see, huh...I just told you where to go to get it for $50!

It's all very first world problem-ey....

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-03-13 13:22:13)

west-phoenix-az
+632|6534
Did you ask him what brand the part was and where he was getting it?
Sounds like you should be looking for a different shop.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6799

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Did you ask him what brand the part was and where he was getting it?
Sounds like you should be looking for a different shop.
He's not going to put anything in until tomorrow, since the part has to be ordered this afternoon. I'm actually going to pick the truck up later today, just so I have a vehicle tonight. (This place is brand new, and literally a block from my apt on the way to school...which is why I went there in the first place)

...so when I go in I'm going to ask him what the new price is. If it's not more reasonable (as in, ~$75 or less...I know they're going to mark it up some, and I don't mind an additional $20, but the $150 markup was obviously way too fucking much), I won't bring the truck back, and he can do whatever he wants with the part he just ordered.

There's actually another place that's only a minute further away, which I haven't been to either, but I'll take my chances there if it comes to that.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6855|Oklahoma City
A lot of shops only put on factory/dealer parts unless you ask otherwise. My mechanic I love, and he will always tell me "This part is the generic version from O"Reilly's and costs $. In my opinion, for this part, it is a good replacement for the factory part which would cost you $$$$. It will last as long as your car."

Once or twice he has said "Hey, I can get this part here for $, but we see a lot of repeat business from this particular generic part. In this case, I would recommend the more durable factory part that costs $$$$. If you are only going to have this another year or 18 months, you could get away with the cheaper one, I have seen some go faulty in as little as 2-3 months though. If you plan on keeping this car longer, or want it to be good for whoever you sell it to, then I think in this case it is worth the extra money..." And if I say yes to the more expensive one, he usually says "Cool, I will cut you a break on the labor to mitigate some of that, because it is cheaper for me to fix it once than for you to bring it back in 3 months because the part was faulty or something."

But then he actually charges me actual labor, so everyone else tells me that job they do in an hour was rated for 5 hours, so they charge me 5 hours labor... He just charges me the one. Usually about 50% of everyone else.

(I.E. Intake Gaskets = $750+ everywhere else... $300 for him.)
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6777|949

Pooing at work.

Spit through my legs into the toilet below

Spit gets caught on the hairs on my thigh.

End up wiping front and back
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6799

HITNRUNXX wrote:

A lot of shops only put on factory/dealer parts unless you ask otherwise. My mechanic I love, and he will always tell me "This part is the generic version from O"Reilly's and costs $. In my opinion, for this part, it is a good replacement for the factory part which would cost you $$$$. It will last as long as your car."

Once or twice he has said "Hey, I can get this part here for $, but we see a lot of repeat business from this particular generic part. In this case, I would recommend the more durable factory part that costs $$$$. If you are only going to have this another year or 18 months, you could get away with the cheaper one, I have seen some go faulty in as little as 2-3 months though. If you plan on keeping this car longer, or want it to be good for whoever you sell it to, then I think in this case it is worth the extra money..." And if I say yes to the more expensive one, he usually says "Cool, I will cut you a break on the labor to mitigate some of that, because it is cheaper for me to fix it once than for you to bring it back in 3 months because the part was faulty or something."

But then he actually charges me actual labor, so everyone else tells me that job they do in an hour was rated for 5 hours, so they charge me 5 hours labor... He just charges me the one. Usually about 50% of everyone else.

(I.E. Intake Gaskets = $750+ everywhere else... $300 for him.)
Well, a water pump is a part that I have no problem getting from O'Reilly or NAPA. My last car was chock full of O'Reilly parts, and was still going strong at 240,000 miles...the only reason I replaced it was for peace of mind in knowing I had a car with less miles!

I went to a different shop, and right off the bat they said what I want to hear: the part costs $80 (from NAPA), it's a couple of hours of labor, plus fluid replacement...you're looking at roughly $250+tax when all is said and done, and it will be done in half a day. Versus the $480(!!!) first estimate from that other guy, who also acted like he's unsure if it could be done in half a day, when his mechanic was sitting around with nothing to do when I walked in...

(this must be how Reciprocity affords all those cool guns )

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-03-13 14:40:32)

HITNRUNXX
+220|6855|Oklahoma City

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Well, a water pump is a part that I have no problem getting from O'Reilly or NAPA. My last car was chock full of O'Reilly parts, and was still going strong at 240,000 miles...the only reason I replaced it was for peace of mind in knowing I had a car with less miles!

I went to a different shop, and right off the bat they said what I want to hear: the part costs $80 (from NAPA), it's a couple of hours of labor, plus fluid replacement...you're looking at roughly $250+tax when all is said and done, and it will be done in half a day. Versus the $480(!!!) first estimate from that other guy, who also acted like he's unsure if it could be done in half a day, when his mechanic was sitting around with nothing to do when I walked in...
Oh for sure. Good job shopping around!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Some asshole broke live!
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6859|Purplicious Wisconsin

Jaekus wrote:

It's the same story here, pisses me off. Not sure how a salad is expensive to prepare when you can buy a whole bag of salad that is enough for four meals for $3 at the supermarket, and one chicken breast is like $3. So $6 to make four meals and they charge $10 per meal??
You are not only paying for the food, but for the work the people did to make the salad for you with their hands.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6645|so randum
going by jakes example, $3 to buy (far cheaper for the actual salad place because of bulk buy etc) works as 75c per salad per meal. do you honestly think someone gets paid $9.25 for each salad they put together

you are dumb, but occasionally try to be less dumb. there is a huge markup on stuff like that.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
west-phoenix-az
+632|6534
there is a lot of markup, but there are many more costs involved

cost of building
insurance
utilities
garbage collection
landscaping
fat cat paychecks
licenses
maintenance/repair/replacement
advertising
accounting
etc.

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2012-03-13 15:50:58)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6859|Purplicious Wisconsin

FatherTed wrote:

going by jakes example, $3 to buy (far cheaper for the actual salad place because of bulk buy etc) works as 75c per salad per meal. do you honestly think someone gets paid $9.25 for each salad they put together

you are dumb, but occasionally try to be less dumb. there is a huge markup on stuff like that.
Well aware of the markup, but it's there for reasons.

Then if it is cheaper to get salad for yourself, why not prepare for it yourself? What's stopping you?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard