mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6744|Oxferd Ohire
civic isnt cramped unless youre fat or a giant
or require a ton of personal space
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England
I dislike smashing my head on the roof every time I hit a bump. This is why I like larger cars.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

RTHKI wrote:

civic isnt cramped unless youre fat or a giant
or require a ton of personal space
I doubt thats a problem for Sh1fty
I dislike smashing my head on the roof every time I hit a bump. This is why I like larger cars.
Or that.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6723|Riva, MD
Yeah, I like all the personal space in my car too, I have a naturally wide frame so I especially love my split bench seats that don't squeeze on my hips and back like my mom's 08 Jetta and grandma's 04 Corolla do, really any econobox I've been in recently

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-03-11 17:08:43)

HITNRUNXX
+220|6716|Oklahoma City
I think attacking anyone's choice in cars is really ridiculous, to be honest. My first vehicle was a Jeep Pickup and I loved it. It was also at the time in the late 90s when gas dropped down to $0.63/gallon. It was on the bad side of gas mileage, but not very bad... Probably averaged 16mpg. For an 80s vehicle, not awful. Compared to my current 24ish, not great. Compared to the newer 35+ cars, pretty bad. However, we sold that to someone that lives by my parents, and they still drive that thing.

I frequently would like to have a small pickup for basic things. Hauling off stuff... Picking up stuff... Etc. Someone just gave us some really nice furniture, but we have to go pick it up... So I have to find or rent a truck. This happens a lot.

However, I don't just buy a new truck, because they are not practical for every day use for me... They don't get good gas mileage to and from work. They are harder to park in a narrow parking garage. They SUCK on ice/snow. They are crappy in rain. Unless you buy a giant truck,you aren't going to be taking friends places. There is a group of 4-5 of us that go to lunch about 3 times a week. We alternate who drives... Except of course the Ford Ranger guy. So hey, he saves some gas there.

The thing is, like I said before, don't just settle for something available. Decide what all you want out of a vehicle first.

If you don't own a house/live on a farm, want to take more than one person with you places, and want decent gas mileage, then why even look very seriously at trucks?

If that is what you want though, then more power to you. Don't let the bizarre hatred on this forum scare you off.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6716|Oklahoma City
By the way, for those of you that are complaining about space in cars, go sit in a Sonata... I was shocked and amazed and loved it... Roomiest non-luxury sedan I have ever been in. It is on my "possibly buy when I need a new car list." The turbo engine that gets 34mpg isn't a negative either.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6665|BC, Canada
May be getting a job soon where I don't have to commute. Would love to trade in my 2 current cars for a Tacoma. Then to buy a sled to sit in the back of the thing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

HITNRUNXX wrote:

If you don't own a house/live on a farm, want to take more than one person with you places, and want decent gas mileage, then why even look very seriously at trucks?
Gardummit you hate freedom.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6723|Riva, MD

HITNRUNXX wrote:

By the way, for those of you that are complaining about space in cars, go sit in a Sonata... I was shocked and amazed and loved it... Roomiest non-luxury sedan I have ever been in. It is on my "possibly buy when I need a new car list." The turbo engine that gets 34mpg isn't a negative either.
Makes me wish even more that my dad got that instead of his smaller 2011 Elantra, the main reason he got it was because he thought he was going to get above 30 MPG and it turns out he averages 28 on it and the seats are tight on it too.  He said the gas mileage was the whole reason he bought it too, otherwise he would've probably gotten something else or kept waiting till the diesel Minis finally came out over here.  He had an 05 turbo-diesel Jetta station wagon that got MPG in the mid-40s before he got the Elantra
13/f/taiwan
+940|5705

PrivateVendetta wrote:

TO HAUL ALL THAT PUSSY
so that's why you became a pilot...
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5043|Massachusetts, USA
On the fair side, I really hate schmucks who trick out their trucks with massive exhausts, lift kits, huge tires, and then never take them offroading. A waste of a vehicle. Customizing a vehicle meant for working is a travesty.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6350

_j5689_ wrote:

Not everybody cares about fuel economy or wants to have a small unlikeable ugly cramped little car, sometimes people just want a car that they like and for many people, that's not a hatchback

I personally don't think I ever wanna get something that's not an SUV or a full-sized sedan
My point was that shifty and people in general should think about fuel economy. This isn´t the 80´s anymore, oil is finite, smoking defiantely kills and the money doesn´t lie on the street.
The hatchback statement was brought up by jay, and even though there are enough hatchbacks that are not ugly and cramped, its this "I need the biggest car there is" sentiment that grinds my gears. The very dumb american stereotype I mentioned before and the one you are now reinforcing.
If you need space a sedan or kombi is fine too, but thinking about fuel economy should be one of the main factors in making a decision. A SUV is just dumb.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5987|Toronto

Sisco wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Not everybody cares about fuel economy or wants to have a small unlikeable ugly cramped little car, sometimes people just want a car that they like and for many people, that's not a hatchback

I personally don't think I ever wanna get something that's not an SUV or a full-sized sedan
My point was that shifty and people in general should think about fuel economy. This isn´t the 80´s anymore, oil is finite, smoking defiantely kills and the money doesn´t lie on the street.
The hatchback statement was brought up by jay, and even though there are enough hatchbacks that are not ugly and cramped, its this "I need the biggest car there is" sentiment that grinds my gears. The very dumb american stereotype I mentioned before and the one you are now reinforcing.
If you need space a sedan or kombi is fine too, but thinking about fuel economy should be one of the main factors in making a decision. A SUV is just dumb.
I agree with you in principle, but having lived on both sides of the pond, I can tell you that American gas prices have always been lower than European ones (or at least, in the last 25 years). Sicne fuel represents less of an expense per unit, Americans can buy more of it. They've grown accustomed to that, and carmakers have responded in kind.

That being said, as the prices climb, so does the number of small cars populating the US. The question faced by most American car buyers, I think, is "how much metal can I afford to run?" Since large cars are not very expensive (shitty equipment helps, although that is drastically changing--see new buicks/opels), they can affrod bigger ones.

Also, it is unequivocally a part of the lifestyle. Americans live a suburbia-driven lifestyle (pun unintended)...and let's face it, for soccer-mom Sally, a SUV gives her a false sense of security that she craves because of her woeful driver education.

/rant
/only owned german cars
I like pie.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5185|Sydney
American gas prices are far cheaper than what we pay for petrol here. Whenever I hear an American complain I just think "man, get some perspective".
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6723

Jaekus wrote:

American gas prices are far cheaper than what we pay for petrol here. Whenever I hear an American complain I just think "man, get some perspective".
but remember america is full of suburbs and to get anywhere its 20-30 minutes away, its a lot more spread out.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6480|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

but remember america is full of suburbs and to get anywhere its 20-30 minutes away, its a lot more spread out.
And the rest of the world lives 5min away from everything?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5480|Ventura, California
I found some really nice Accords and Civics. Going to get check some out with a mechanic friend this Wednesday.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Jaekus
+957|5185|Sydney

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

It took me 45 minutes to drive to work this arvo.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6330|Graz, Austria
If you can, buy a car from a pensioner who didn't drive much with it and now can't drive it at all.
You'll most likely end up with a car that has been sheltered in a garage and well-maintained.
Jaekus
+957|5185|Sydney

globefish23 wrote:

If you can, buy a car from a pensioner who didn't drive much with it and now can't drive it at all.
You'll most likely end up with a car that has been sheltered in a garage and well-maintained.
Very true. As long as it hasn't been sitting the garage for more than 12 months without the engine being turned over you'll get a sweet deal most of the time.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6638|Finland

Jaekus wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Very true. As long as it hasn't been sitting the garage for more than 12 months without the engine being turned over you'll get a sweet deal most of the time.
Unless it's a manual transmission, in which case the clutch plate has been scorched.
I need around tree fiddy.
Jaekus
+957|5185|Sydney
New clutch isn't too expensive if it's a cheap and common car. But if you get it checked over first you can usually bargain the difference out of the seller.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6723

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

And the rest of the world lives 5min away from everything?
not as urbanized. and public transport in lots of places is fucking ass in the USA.

australian petrol prices is just fucking retarded in general.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5185|Sydney
I had to laugh when a couple years ago in the US everyone was complaining about petrol being up to around $3.70 US a gallon at the pump.

We pay on average $5.30 AUD a gallon (which is currently worth more than USD), except priced in litres. If you live somewhere remote you'll pay double that with five times the driving distances to everything.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-03-12 04:23:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard