Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

I hope there is a war with Iran. I also hope it leads to a draft of all U.S. males.

I'll be exempt from the draft so while all the male competition is fighting in the war I'll be back here chilling with the Azn girls.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...
why would you be exempt
inane little opines
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

he's puerto rican
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Shocking wrote:

Nobody believed curveball after it had become known that curveball was curveball. He wasn't all that important in the bigger picture anyway, as intelligence is gathered from many more sources than just one guy.

Germany and France weren't convinced by the reports. That's not the same as disregarding the accuracy or factuality of the reports. At that point everyone was suspicious of Iraq's alleged WMD programs, though some parties such as France and Germany didn't see it as enough proof to warrant an invasion, instead opting for more sanctions/inspections and a diplomatic approach.
France could have vetoed the UN SC 1441 resolution but they didn't so...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia

Shocking wrote:

Oh really now, those weren't empty bluffs you reckon? Did he have a monopoly on oil? No. If he was going to sell his oil for anything other than dollars he would've destroyed his own economy.
oh, yeah, sadam was in such an awesome economical position that it would hurt him so fucking much! pffft. this discussion is getting more ridiculous by the minute: "oh, but wmd's were a ruse", "oh, but withdrawal from dollar-based oil market was a bluff", ffs, admit it already - the whole adventure had no legitimate basis at all. you went in to destroy saddam who refused to play by your rules, end of story.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-03-05 21:01:18)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5969|Blue Mountain State

Macbeth wrote:

I hope there is a war with Iran. I also hope it leads to a draft of all U.S. males.

I'll be exempt from the draft so while all the male competition is fighting in the war I'll be back here chilling with the Azn girls.
being gay doesn't exempt you anymore
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...

Shahter wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Oh really now, those weren't empty bluffs you reckon? Did he have a monopoly on oil? No. If he was going to sell his oil for anything other than dollars he would've destroyed his own economy.
oh, yeah, sadam was in such an awesome economical position that it would hurt him so fucking much! pffft. this discussion is getting more ridiculous by the minute: "oh, but wmd's were a ruse", "oh, but withdrawal from dollar-based oil market was a bluff", ffs, admit it already - the whole adventure had no legitimate basis at all. you went in to destroy saddam who refused to play by your rules, end of story.

Shocking wrote:

Same shit happened in Libya. Gadaffi yelled he was going to sell his oil for gold, all the foreign investors withdrew from his country, he retracted the statement to get them back in because he wasn't getting enough money anymore.
Well, you're right in stating that Saddam didn't like to play by the (international) rules, no.
inane little opines
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia

Shocking wrote:

Well, you're right in stating that Saddam didn't like to play by the (international) rules, no.
international rules? lol. there's only one true international rule - might makes right. in that regard, no, saddam wasn't tough enough to impose his rules on anybody, but it had nothing to do with why he got fucked up.

p.s. and would you stop posting, highlighting and whatever else you do there with irrelevant passages. thanks.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-03-06 01:37:50)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...

Shahter wrote:

international rules? lol. there's only one true international rule - might makes right. in that regard, no, saddam wasn't tough enough to impose his rules on anybody, but it had nothing to do with why he got fucked up.

p.s. and would you stop posting, highlighting and whatever else you do there with irrelevant passages. thanks.
It's highly relevant because it's exactly the same situation. Gadaffi nor Saddam were in a position to 'demand' anything in this regard. If they went on with their plans it'd simply be economic masochism on their part.

Ultimately, might does make right. If someone doesn't play by the rules they need to be enforced. These laws were internationally agreed upon, Iraq was a signatory of the geneva convention and many other such treaties.
Saddam violated a couple hundred of them.
The rules got enforced.

I don't see the problem with that.
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

Shocking wrote:

Shahter wrote:

It's highly relevant because it's exactly the same situation. Gadaffi nor Saddam were in a position to 'demand' anything in this regard. If they went on with their plans it'd simply be economic masochism on their part.

Ultimately, might does make right. If someone doesn't play by the rules they need to be enforced. These laws were internationally agreed upon, Iraq was a signatory of the geneva convention and many other such treaties.
Saddam violated a couple hundred of them.
The rules got enforced.

I don't see the problem with that.
What it seems to come down to is that it's wrong if we lead it, but it's ok if Europe leads it.

We got a lot of crap from France over Iraq, and then they do the same thing in Libya while getting our support.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6464|Kakanien
yeah, iraq war and the air campaign against gaddafi's troops were totally the same
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

yeah, iraq war and the air campaign against gaddafi's troops were totally the same
Neither invasion had much justification.  Both were primarily driven by ulterior motives.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6182|Roma

Turquoise wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Neither invasion had much justification.  Both were primarily driven by ulterior motives.
Citizens in Libya were asking for help. Popular uprising, getting battered by heavy equipment. Iraq was relatively stable compared.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Sovereignty

Gaddafi was putting down a rebellion, and stopping a civil war. We had no more a right to interfere than the British had to intervene in our civil war on the behalf of the confederates.

Sovereignty

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-03-07 09:42:22)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Same with Syria then Mac? They're just putting down a civil war/rebellion.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
libya was doable for the UK+France, Syria wouldn't be
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...

FatherTed wrote:

libya was doable for the UK+France,
It wasn't, the whole 'intervention' was a horrible clusterfuck. More than anything it exposed the weakness of European militaries. It's sad that even supposed world players as France and the UK struggled to field the necessary equipment and manpower to tackle a country that was literally in their backyard, in which only 5 million people live, with an insignificant military to boot.
inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

AussieReaper wrote:

Same with Syria then Mac? They're just putting down a civil war/rebellion.
Yup.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
i'm pretty sure they did actually manage to get stuff done in the end, so yes it was do-able. a stretch definitely, but outside of the US i doubt anyone wouldn't find 3 simultaneous deployments difficult.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...
It's not about the involvement of the UK / France in other conflicts (which in the case of France is marginal really) it's about them not having the necessary military hardware to tackle the problem. The US had to compensate heavily in the initial attack because noone else could field what was necessary. Beyond that there were ammo shortages, understaffed airfields etc. To not even mention the horrible 'cooperation' in Libya. Nobody wanted to take the lead and after a long, drawn out debate it was eventually transferred to NATO.

It was terrible. Just like EU 'cooperation' in former Yugoslavia and the other balkan conflicts. And as in those conflicts, it seems that lessons will not be learned, but ignored.
inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

You guys should just pay us to cover your military commitments for you. Seriously. We already do cover you guys in the great geopolitical scheme of things and we need the money. We could then use the money to provide military related jobs to bring down our unemployment. The money you guys save outsourcing to us you can roll back into your social services.

It would be a great system. Too bad it would never happen.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

EU countries should be like the US and stage periodic wars and conflicts just to make sure the logistics an personnel are up to par.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...

Macbeth wrote:

You guys should just pay us to cover your military commitments for you. Seriously. We already do cover you guys in the great geopolitical scheme of things and we need the money. We could then use the money to provide military related jobs to bring down our unemployment. The money you guys save outsourcing to us you can roll back into your social services.

It would be a great system. Too bad it would never happen.
I prefer the unification route, it would solve the problem and it's inevitable anyway.
inane little opines
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6723|Cambridge, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

EU countries should be like the US and stage periodic wars and conflicts just to make sure the logistics an personnel are up to par.
We do :p
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Well you should do it more often!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard