Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

Our posts on here do not widely influence how people think. Limbaugh's comments on the radio, do.
There's zero difference. If I grab a megaphone and insult people in public is it any different than if I went up to them each individually and did it that way? No.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
You're missing the point.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

HITNRUNXX wrote:

How is it any different than the armchair opinions that everyone on this site throws out on every person that speaks out for something? He is on the air, we are on the internet. If his opinions are slander, than all of our opinions are liable... Think real seriously about what it means to NOT be allowed to say what you think about someone.

Personally, I think he had no reason to personally attack her, but I also think that is his opinion, and IN CONTEXT it was on topic... An unmarried student that has sex three or four times a day and thinks that is normal could very well be called a slut... A Nympho... A sex-addict... Horny... etc.

So flipping what was said around: Can he silence someone by calling them names? Maybe so, and that sucks. Should we censor him because it hurts our widdle feelings? No, he is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else.

In legal terms, she opened the door.
He isn't an armchair commenter. He is a paid one with sponsors, large audience, he is a public figure and holds influence.

He also called her a prostitute. Is that fair to say?

He is entitled to his opinion. But presenting it to an audience with character attacks based on zero evidence on a private citizen, in legal terms is slander and defamation. Which newsflash, is illegal.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Not at all.

There's no law that says people have to be nice in public, I run into nasty people every day on the streets of Manhattan. Limbaugh is no different, he just happens to have a microphone. The fact that he has a mic doesn't change his rights.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
It's not about being nice.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City
I am suing every rapper now!!! They are on the radio and they called me a MOFO!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

She is a political activist that stood before Congress to testify on her pet issue. She is a lobbyist. A poor one, but a lobbyist. No, she has no special right to privacy anymore than a politician does.

As for intimidation, she's profiting from this. Would she have gone on The View otherwise? Would anyone even know who she is? No. If Rush had intimidated her she'd have gone back home. Instead, she's using it as a platform to boost herself even more fully into the political sphere. Sorry, I have less than zero compassion for her.
She isn't a lobbyist. What special interest group pays her to represent them? She is a private citizen and only in the political spotlight at such a level now, because of Rush's attacks. You even make this argument by saying she can now profit from the added media attention. You said it yourself, would anyone even know who she is? No.

So your argument goes "she's a public figure so not classed as a private citizen" freedom of speech applies.

Then go on to state "nobody would know who she is without Rush's attacks"

You're incredibly dense if you think you can argue these two contradictory points.
She is a lobbyist. She has a pet issue and she stood before Congress to convince them to support her cause. She's as much a private citizen as whoever runs Greenpeace or MoveOn.

Even if she was a 'private citizen', she's just as open to insults as anyone else. I can call you a fucking moron (and I have, many many times here) anytime I want to. Are you going to sue me for libel? No.

It amazes me that you're not even American and yet you are as staunchly Democrat as a New York City Jew. So weird.
She was never in the public spot light. Would anyone even know who she was had Rush not attacked her? You said no.

So explain how the above reconciles with her being a public figure.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2012-03-06 05:41:23)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Not at all.

There's no law that says people have to be nice in public, I run into nasty people every day on the streets of Manhattan. Limbaugh is no different, he just happens to have a microphone. The fact that he has a mic doesn't change his rights.
Defamation. I suggest you google it.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
Obviously it's because Limbaugh made her a public figure he is then allowed to defame her.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jaekus wrote:

Obviously it's because Limbaugh made her a public figure he is then allowed to defame her.
By defaming her which makes her a public figure. Genius!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Yes it is. He called her a bad name. He was mean. That's become the story rather than her ridiculous numbers and entitled attitude. She deserved to be destroyed in public based on her message, but it's instead been turned around on Rush. Too bad.

Here is some of what she said
Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that’s practically an entire summer’s salary. Forty percent of female students at Georgetown Law report struggling financially as a result of this policy.
Is sex voluntary? Yes. It's also cheaper than she makes it out to be.

- She could have the men she sleeps with pay for half of the birth control
- She could use condoms instead, which cost about $50 for a 100 pack (or go to Planned Parenthood and get them for free). She could have sex three times a day, every day, for $0.50*3timesaday*3years*365days=$1,642.50 or half of what she has her hand out begging for.
- Or she could go to WalMart and buy generic brand birth control for $4 a month. $4*3*12=$144 and she's covered for the whole three years.

She may not be a slut, but she's certainly an entitled moron who deserved to get slapped down for her shit ideas.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Not at all.

Defamation. I suggest you google it.
You're a fucking moron. Sue me.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

She voluntarily stood before Congress. She was on C-SPAN. She made herself a public figure.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

She voluntarily stood before Congress. She was on C-SPAN. She made herself a public figure.
Without Limbaugh's attacks

Jay wrote:

Would anyone even know who she is? No.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

that's semantic bullshit. a citizen voicing an opinion is not a politician running for elected office. c-span is not access hollywood you muppet, and limbaugh is now reaping what he's sown.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

that's semantic bullshit. a citizen voicing an opinion is not a politician running for elected office. c-span is not access hollywood you muppet, and limbaugh is now reaping what he's sown.
She's a lobbyist.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

Public figures do not deserve and are not untitled to respect regardless of their political affiliation. Rush doesn't have any sort of responsibility to the public to not defame a public or political figures.

This whole thing is just another instance of the pussification of American society. I'm not joking. This sort of irrational melodramatic response to Rush calling a women a slut is the sort of thing that makes our culture and country look weak and stupid.
I think it just makes us look bored.

Technically, Fluke could sue for defamation.  Should she?  Not really.

I wouldn't say our society is being "pussified", but we are ridiculously litigious.

On the other hand, Rush did basically put himself in a vulnerable position by choosing to call her a slut.  Even if he doesn't face a lawsuit, he's just pushed himself further in the Howard Stern direction.  He may appeal to right wingers, but he's essentially given the left wing fodder for the "conservatives are misogynists" angle.

He hasn't quite reached the Glenn Beck level of embarassment, but he's getting there.

A lot of right wingers have been pointing out that Bill Maher hasn't apologized in the past for his insults to women, but I think they're missing the point.  Bill Maher isn't really respected outside of the left wing now.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City
People are too damn sensitive. /thread
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

Turquoise wrote:

On the other hand, Rush did basically put himself in a vulnerable position by choosing to call her a slut.
he's not losing advertisers because he called her a slut. he's losing them because he went on to say that she should post her sextapes to the internet, because if "we" pay for her contraception, "we" should get our monies worth.

one of the most unintended, brilliant moves obama has made was to mandate contraception. women voters are well aware that the little blue pill is covered, but to see the right react both religiously and fiscally conservatively in regard to contraception just drew a sharper contrast amongst a big block of voters.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

13urnzz wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

On the other hand, Rush did basically put himself in a vulnerable position by choosing to call her a slut.
he's not losing advertisers because he called her a slut. he's losing them because he went on to say that she should post her sextapes to the internet, because if "we" pay for her contraception, "we" should get our monies worth.

one of the most unintended, brilliant moves obama has made was to mandate contraception. women voters are well aware that the little blue pill is covered, but to see the right react both religiously and fiscally conservatively in regard to contraception just drew a sharper contrast amongst a big block of voters.
Pretty much.  The funny thing is...  Obama is really not that liberal or even proactive about much.  It's just that the GOP has moved so far to the right that he doesn't have to do much to be viewed as moderate and somewhat appealing.

This whole election cycle is like a reverse of 2004.  Few people liked Bush that much by then, but the Democrats had such a poor selection of candidates and ultimately went with the most boring candidate possible.  The GOP is doing the same thing, because Romney is basically the GOP's Kerry.

Obama is going to win partially because of how boring Romney is and partially because of how insane some of the blowhards on the right are.  The blowhards on the left have been more measured in their responses as of late.

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-03-06 08:54:03)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13urnzz wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

They should cover other voluntary health items too then right? Tattoo removal, breast implants, calf implants, vasectomies etc.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-06 09:03:24)

-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Rush didn't make her famous. She showed up on the top 3 news blogs (who are also the top blogs in the world) a few days before Rush made his comments. Drudge (the news blog that broke the Monica Lewinsky story), Huffington post (an asset of AOL) and Hotair were all commenting on her testimony. Rush just picked up on something that was going around on the internet already.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Yes it is. He called her a bad name. He was mean. That's become the story rather than her ridiculous numbers and entitled attitude. She deserved to be destroyed in public based on her message, but it's instead been turned around on Rush. Too bad.

Here is some of what she said
Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that’s practically an entire summer’s salary. Forty percent of female students at Georgetown Law report struggling financially as a result of this policy.
Is sex voluntary? Yes. It's also cheaper than she makes it out to be.

- She could have the men she sleeps with pay for half of the birth control
- She could use condoms instead, which cost about $50 for a 100 pack (or go to Planned Parenthood and get them for free). She could have sex three times a day, every day, for $0.50*3timesaday*3years*365days=$1,642.50 or half of what she has her hand out begging for.
- Or she could go to WalMart and buy generic brand birth control for $4 a month. $4*3*12=$144 and she's covered for the whole three years.

She may not be a slut, but she's certainly an entitled moron who deserved to get slapped down for her shit ideas.
lol seriously who the fuck spends 3000 dollars for birth control a year =.=

GF pays 20 bucks for 3 months worth so thats like what, 80 bucks a year?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Well, Taiwan is like a third world country so that makes sense
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Macbeth wrote:

Well, Taiwan is like a third world country so that makes sense
That'd only apply if I'm actually living in Taiwan now

edit: I've been in Aus for the past year macbeth.

Last edited by Cybargs (2012-03-06 09:20:21)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard