Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Jenspm wrote:

Jay wrote:

Rich white girl whining over $3000 in voluntary living expenses. I'd say he was in the right on this issue.
You might agree on the principle (of not funding contraception), but Limbaugh's blatant sexism is shocking, and the attack way over the top and far too personal. It's scary to think that this guy actually influences people. How does he even get air time, jesus.
I've never listened to his show so I dunno
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Rush said nothing that was any worse than what is already said about politicians and others in this country. Besides, she put herself in the public arena and isn't a normal private citizen anymore. If she didn't want her feelings hurt, she shouldn't have went in front of congress.

The Georgetown law student who drew an apology from Rush Limbaugh this weekend after the conservative radio host called her a “slut” on his show said that his public apology wasn’t sufficient during an appearance on ABC’s “The View” today.

“I don’t think that a statement like this issued, saying that his choice of words was not the best, changes anything, and especially when that statement is issued when he’s under significant pressure from his sponsors who have begun to pull their support,” said the 30-year-old student, Sandra Fluke. …

Fluke said she has not heard from Limbaugh personally but added that she’s not hoping to speak with him.

“The statements he’s made about me over the air are personal enough, so I’d rather not have a personal phone call with him,” Fluke said.
What a bitch
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
Good on her.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Jaekus wrote:

Good on her.
Ed said this weekend he thinks Rush was right to apologize, but I’m not so sure. He was wrong to use the word “slut” in the first place — it’s just a disgusting word that’s better left unsaid and Rush’s use of it conveniently played into the leftist narrative that conservative men are misogynistic (i.e. it was both tasteless and strategically stupid of Rush to say it) — but his apology makes it seem as though he did something wrong by expressing his opinion about a legitimate subject of national commentary.

Folks have made the argument that Rush’s “personal attack” was somehow different than similar name-calling directed to the likes of Laura Ingraham, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. The argument typically goes something like this: Sarah Palin et. al. are public figures, while Sandra Fluke is a private citizen. But, in this instance, Fluke isn’t exactly a “private citizen.” She’s a seasoned activist who introduced the subject of Georgetown law students’ sex lives to the national debate about the Obama administration’s religious-liberty-violating contraception mandate.

Indeed, her unwillingness to accept Rush’s apology underscores that she’s far from a naive private individual who unexpectedly found herself at the center of a national controversy; she made it clear by her remarks on The View that she’s prepared to stoke this controversy as long as she derives a benefit from it. As long as advertisers continue to withdraw support for Limbaugh and the left continues to rally around Ms. Fluke, she’ll milk his remarks for all they’re worth.
No fuck her. Seriously F-U-C-K her.

This whole thing makes me red eyed and furious. If you felt bad for her you are a media sheep.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-03-05 13:17:49)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
Perhaps, but if you listen to Rush, you are too.

There are a million other more important issues than this mess, but the media loves a good soap opera story.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney

Macbeth wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Good on her.
Ed said this weekend he thinks Rush was right to apologize, but I’m not so sure. He was wrong to use the word “slut” in the first place — it’s just a disgusting word that’s better left unsaid and Rush’s use of it conveniently played into the leftist narrative that conservative men are misogynistic (i.e. it was both tasteless and strategically stupid of Rush to say it) — but his apology makes it seem as though he did something wrong by expressing his opinion about a legitimate subject of national commentary.

Folks have made the argument that Rush’s “personal attack” was somehow different than similar name-calling directed to the likes of Laura Ingraham, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. The argument typically goes something like this: Sarah Palin et. al. are public figures, while Sandra Fluke is a private citizen. But, in this instance, Fluke isn’t exactly a “private citizen.” She’s a seasoned activist who introduced the subject of Georgetown law students’ sex lives to the national debate about the Obama administration’s religious-liberty-violating contraception mandate.

Indeed, her unwillingness to accept Rush’s apology underscores that she’s far from a naive private individual who unexpectedly found herself at the center of a national controversy; she made it clear by her remarks on The View that she’s prepared to stoke this controversy as long as she derives a benefit from it. As long as advertisers continue to withdraw support for Limbaugh and the left continues to rally around Ms. Fluke, she’ll milk his remarks for all they’re worth.
No fuck her. Seriously F-U-C-K her.

This whole thing makes me red eyed and furious. If you felt bad for her you are a media sheep.
lol

I don't care if she's in the public arena. People like Rush have a civic responsibility to at least not be defaming towards others by calling them "slut" and "prositute" simply because they're on opposite sides of the fence.

Fuck Rush. Seriously F-U-C-K him.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Public figures do not deserve and are not untitled to respect regardless of their political affiliation. Rush doesn't have any sort of responsibility to the public to not defame a public or political figures.

This whole thing is just another instance of the pussification of American society. I'm not joking. This sort of irrational melodramatic response to Rush calling a women a slut is the sort of thing that makes our culture and country look weak and stupid.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney

Turquoise wrote:

Perhaps, but if you listen to Rush, you are too.

There are a million other more important issues than this mess, but the media loves a good soap opera story.
All too true.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Macbeth wrote:

This whole thing is just another instance of the pussification of American society. I'm not joking. This sort of irrational melodramatic response to Rush calling a women a slut is the sort of thing that makes our culture and country look weak and stupid.
You think its right and reasonable to call people you know nothing about 'sluts'?

People like Limbaugh make your country look pig-headed and retarded.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

If I was her I would be suing for defamation, slander, etc, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You think its right and reasonable to call people you know nothing about 'sluts'?

People like Limbaugh make your country look pig-headed and retarded.
you do a fantastic job representing your country...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Better than imbeciles like Limbaugh.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

AussieReaper wrote:

If I was her I would be suing ...
very American
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

jsnipy wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

very American
I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want compensation after being slandered in such a way on not just a national but now global attack against your character since this has made global news.

Would she be wrong to claim that she was unfairly labelled?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

very American
I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want compensation after being slandered in such a way on not just a national but now global attack against your character since this has made global news.

Freedom of speech. And how was she unfairly labelled? Has she divulged the details of her sex life to you?
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

very American

Freedom of speech. And how was she unfairly labelled? Has she divulged the details of her sex life to you?
Freedom of speech doesn't cover character assassinations does it?

"Law student Sandra Fluke can "definitely" sue Rush Limbaugh for slander over the talk-show host's ugly remarks on his radio program, legal experts say. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/ … 9420120306

No it doesn't.

Had she divulged the details of her sex life to Limbaugh? See that works both ways.

I don't see how you're defending Limbaugh. Unless she is a prostitute, his remarks were defamation in every sense of the word.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2012-03-06 05:07:37)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

"Law student Sandra Fluke can "definitely" sue Rush Limbaugh for slander over the talk-show host's ugly remarks on his radio program, legal experts say. "

No it doesn't.

Had she divulged the details of her sex life to Limbaugh? See that works both ways.

I don't see how you're defending Limbaugh. Unless she is a prostitute, his remarks were defamation in every sense of the word.
She doesn't have the same right to privacy as other people in a situation like that. She chose to step before Congress and make herself a public figure. We have about 100 celebrity magazines that talk about their sex lives and various body parts and they aren't sued for libel, even when they fabricate stuff. People that put themselves in the public spotlight, especially on a political issue, have to roll with the punches. Or stay the fuck home.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

No it doesn't.

What he’s really trying to do is silence a young woman. See that works both ways.

She doesn't have the same right to privacy as other people in a situation like that. She chose to step before Congress and make herself a public figure. We have about 100 celebrity magazines that talk about their sex lives and various body parts and they aren't sued for libel, even when they fabricate stuff. People that put themselves in the public spotlight, especially on a political issue, have to roll with the punches. Or stay the fuck home.
Really? You're arguing that she is not a private citizen? She isn't a public figure. Isn't a celebrity, not a polititian either.

Private citizens are entitled to stronger protections against slander because the above lead highly visible lives. She does not.

If anyone who steps up as you say and is suddenly the target of personal attacks, then people like Limbaugh can effectively silence them through intimidation tactics and smear. How is that in anyway fair in your mind? "Roll with the punches or stay the fuck home" Seriously?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City

Dilbert_X wrote:

Better than imbeciles like Limbaugh.
OMG... DX vs Rush for President... This would be the shitty type of decision we have to face every election...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

No it doesn't.

What he’s really trying to do is silence a young woman. See that works both ways.

Really? You're arguing that she is not a private citizen? She isn't a public figure. Isn't a celebrity, not a polititian either.

Private citizens are entitled to stronger protections against slander because the above lead highly visible lives. She does not.

If anyone who steps up as you say and is suddenly the target of personal attacks, then people like Limbaugh can effectively silence them through intimidation tactics and smear. How is that in anyway fair in your mind? "Roll with the punches or stay the fuck home" Seriously?
She is a political activist that stood before Congress to testify on her pet issue. She is a lobbyist. A poor one, but a lobbyist. No, she has no special right to privacy anymore than a politician does.

As for intimidation, she's profiting from this. Would she have gone on The View otherwise? Would anyone even know who she is? No. If Rush had intimidated her she'd have gone back home. Instead, she's using it as a platform to boost herself even more fully into the political sphere. Sorry, I have less than zero compassion for her.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-06 05:18:17)

-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

No it doesn't.

How is it any different than the armchair opinions that everyone on this site throws out on every person that speaks out for something? He is on the air, we are on the internet. If his opinions are slander, than all of our opinions are liable... Think real seriously about what it means to NOT be allowed to say what you think about someone.

Personally, I think he had no reason to personally attack her, but I also think that is his opinion, and IN CONTEXT it was on topic... An unmarried student that has sex three or four times a day and thinks that is normal could very well be called a slut... A Nympho... A sex-addict... Horny... etc.

So flipping what was said around: Can he silence someone by calling them names? Maybe so, and that sucks. Should we censor him because it hurts our widdle feelings? No, he is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else.

In legal terms, she opened the door.

Last edited by HITNRUNXX (2012-03-06 05:24:26)

Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
Our posts on here do not widely influence how people think. Limbaugh's comments on the radio, do.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-03-06 05:28:28)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

She is a political activist that stood before Congress to testify on her pet issue. She is a lobbyist. A poor one, but a lobbyist. No, she has no special right to privacy anymore than a politician does.

As for intimidation, she's profiting from this. Would she have gone on The View otherwise? Would anyone even know who she is? No. If Rush had intimidated her she'd have gone back home. Instead, she's using it as a platform to boost herself even more fully into the political sphere. Sorry, I have less than zero compassion for her.
She isn't a lobbyist. What special interest group pays her to represent them? She is a private citizen and only in the political spotlight at such a level now, because of Rush's attacks. You even make this argument by saying she can now profit from the added media attention. You said it yourself, would anyone even know who she is? No.

So your argument goes "she's a public figure so not classed as a private citizen" freedom of speech applies.

Then go on to state "nobody would know who she is without Rush's attacks"

You're incredibly dense if you think you can argue these two contradictory points.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

She isn't a lobbyist. What special interest group pays her to represent them? She is a private citizen and only in the political spotlight at such a level now, because of Rush's attacks. You even make this argument by saying she can now profit from the added media attention. You said it yourself, would anyone even know who she is? No.

So your argument goes "she's a public figure so not classed as a private citizen" freedom of speech applies.

Then go on to state "nobody would know who she is without Rush's attacks"

You're incredibly dense if you think you can argue these two contradictory points.
She is a lobbyist. She has a pet issue and she stood before Congress to convince them to support her cause. She's as much a private citizen as whoever runs Greenpeace or MoveOn.

Even if she was a 'private citizen', she's just as open to insults as anyone else. I can call you a fucking moron (and I have, many many times here) anytime I want to. Are you going to sue me for libel? No.

It amazes me that you're not even American and yet you are as staunchly Democrat as a New York City Jew. So weird.
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City
So anyone is allowed to say whatever asinine things they want in public, and every person in the media has to keep their mouths shut, or be sued... Got it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard