you can afford it max, do it

still driving 3-series?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon

_j5689_ wrote:

It is indeed the 4.6 on my Crown Vic.  You should've spent the extra money to get a real Ford one, they say the Dorman ones hurt performance, especially on a model that already had a Performance Improved intake manifold(1999+ Explorers and Mustangs, 2001+ Crown Victorias/GMQs/Town Cars) because they're really just a slightly revised version of the Non-Performance Improved design.  People on the forums actually notice it hurting the performance vs the old one.
We've probably used oem and aftermarket over the years.  for most of our customers, especially the police agencies,  it doesn't matter,  they want the repair cheap and fast.  if the parts houses are out of stock we go the dealers and vice versa.  at least for most stuff.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

_j5689_ wrote:

max wrote:

Change to summer tires now? Wait a couple weeks? Doesn't look like much, but I don't feel all that comfortable, especially in regard to those fun unrestricted german Autobahns.

Clutch has seen better days too. Might as well get that done too.
That doesn't look that urgent, I had an alignment problem that wore down my front-left tire's inner sidewall so badly you could see the kevlar weaving or whatever it is on the inside of the tire, and the tire was still going for another two months after we found out that happened, although it was leaking pretty badly and I had to keep refilling it frequently until it eventually just popped while I was driving.  On yours though, I think you could go another few weeks like that if you needed to as long as it's not leaking, that doesn't look that deep at all
Ta. As long as I'm driving about the city, I hardly doubt it will make any difference. What I'm worried about is, that it'll pop at 250km/h and I end up dead in a horrible accident.

FatherTed wrote:

still driving 3-series?
Yeah. And seeing as the new 3 series won't get a naturally aspirated straight 6, I'll drive it until it dies. Fucking turbos. M54B30 4 life
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6259|Pacific NW, USA

max wrote:

Fucking turbos.
https://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/11/20/862de1b2-9ad0-45d5-9e2d-d4b8366e99c7.jpg
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

max wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

max wrote:

Change to summer tires now? Wait a couple weeks? Doesn't look like much, but I don't feel all that comfortable, especially in regard to those fun unrestricted german Autobahns.

Clutch has seen better days too. Might as well get that done too.
That doesn't look that urgent, I had an alignment problem that wore down my front-left tire's inner sidewall so badly you could see the kevlar weaving or whatever it is on the inside of the tire, and the tire was still going for another two months after we found out that happened, although it was leaking pretty badly and I had to keep refilling it frequently until it eventually just popped while I was driving.  On yours though, I think you could go another few weeks like that if you needed to as long as it's not leaking, that doesn't look that deep at all
Ta. As long as I'm driving about the city, I hardly doubt it will make any difference. What I'm worried about is, that it'll pop at 250km/h and I end up dead in a horrible accident.

FatherTed wrote:

still driving 3-series?
Yeah. And seeing as the new 3 series won't get a naturally aspirated straight 6, I'll drive it until it dies. Fucking turbos. M54B30 4 life
Gotta love those 6s man. Jay's 523i, my dads 523i, and my mates 328i all have/had beautiful engines.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
max
Vela Incident

PigPopTart wrote:

max wrote:

Fucking turbos.
Making an engine a whole lot more complicated and unreliable and needing maintenance work more often, just so you can get similar power and a worse feel and sound from a smaller displacement engine? It will save you a little fuel if you drive them slowly and carefully, but will drink more if you hammer them. But even if you do drive like a grandmother you won't save any money because the fuel saving are hardly worth it with the cost of repairing the damn things all the time. And you shouldn't drive short distances. And you should always cool them down before stopping. Fuck that.

/rant

Last edited by max (2012-02-27 05:52:08)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

max wrote:

PigPopTart wrote:

max wrote:

Fucking turbos.
Making an engine a whole lot more complicated and unreliable and needing maintenance work more often, just so you can get similar power and a worse feel and sound from a smaller displacement engine? It will save you a little fuel if you drive them slowly and carefully, but will drink more if you hammer them. But even if you do drive like a grandmother you won't save any money because the fuel saving are hardly worth it with the cost of repairing the damn things all the time. And you shouldn't drive short distances. And you should always cool them down before stopping. Fuck that.

/rant
They've come on a lot max, small displacement engines with small turbos are very economical. The turbo only kicks in when you boot it, to overtake a slower car, for instance. They're cleaner, in most cases now give higher power output, but I do agree with the noise problem. No finer noise than a naturally aspirated 6, v6, v8, v10 or v12. Even some 5 pots sound really good.

Only good turbo noise is te wastegate.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6762|Jupiter
It is called a turbo timer max.
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
It's called stop driving like an asshole about a mile before you get where you're going, and let it cool while you're still moving. Turbo timers are a waste of money on anything less than a race car and most johnny race car ricers buy them "cuz it lukz kewl". 

Jesus, Max.  What piece of shit turbo car did you own to make you have such an anti turbo bias?

Turbo chargers hardly make an engine bay more complicated. Unreliable?  In my experience they've been nothing but reliable.  Shit, My Integra has 255,000 miles on it, the last 40,000 of them have been turbocharged.  Asks for nothing more than oil,  spark plugs and axles. The only reason I have to replace the axles every year (only takes me 45 minutes to do both sides and they are lifetime warranty) is because they're factory replacements, meant to handle 160hp, not 300+.

Of course it will guzzle gas if you step on it, what engine set-up doesn't? At least with a turbo your foot decides whether it's used or not.  When I drove to Texas my Integra managed 37mpg when I kept off the boost, best I ever got pre-turbo was 32, when I take it to the track it's averages 11mpg.   Average city/highway mileage is 29mpg.  I'm not aware of any 300+hp N/A or beltcharged cars that produce that kind of mpg.    I guess the "worse feel" from a turbo is just dependent on the person, I fucking love how boost feels.  Who says you shouldn't drive them short distances?  If that's the case, mine is magical since I drive 2 miles a day 5 days out of the week for the last 3 years and there have been no problems.

Last edited by PigPopTart (2012-02-27 19:28:15)

Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Turbos are good. 

My dodge truck has gone about 210k miles on the same engine/turbo.
iceman785
+93|6642|Alaska, mother fucker.
Turbos have come a long way since the 1980's. Much more reliable and the feeling of hitting 20psi when that fucker spools is amazing.

Friend of mine drives a new 135i and has it tuned to 18.5psi and it hasn't broke down once after like 30k miles.
max
Vela Incident

(This is all for gasoline engines, Diesel needs a turbo.)

I drive to university every day. It's right next to the autobahn. Which means full throttle or being stuck behind a lorry at 80km/h. Sure I could drive slowly for the last few km, but that's just a drag. Turbo timers are illegal in most of europe afaik.

If I'm doing the maths right, 29mpg comes out to 8.1L per 100km. Let's take my moms Merc C350 Blue Efficiency something or other. It's the only NA car that I've driven extensively with around 300hp. It has a 3.5L V6 306HP NA engine. According to the specs it does 7L/100km. That seems about right. When I drive it about town, I use about 8L/100km. Lowest I ever got it was around 5L (47mpg) when just cursing along the swiss motorways. All that in a heavier car but I still get slightly better fuel consumption. And it's not just your car. Pretty much all 300HP turbocharged need around 9-11L on that euro combined test cylce. Once you extract any sort of performance out of turbos, they need fuel like a NA engine. Sure, those turbocharged econoboxes don't need any fuel at all, but those things are just horrible places to be. In the diesel versions they use even less. If I can't have fun in a car, I'd rather use the time to read a book and take the train. And as a cheap way to get from A to B, diesel is the answer. Gasoline engines are for "performance drivers". You will use fuel. Turbos on gasoline engines I just don't see the point. If they save any fuel, it's not significant. Well maybe as a cheap aftermarket way to make your car faster ...

Maybe it's just the difference between the US and Europe. In comparison to old US engines those new turbos must seems great. Here, we've always had NA engines with good power and decent economy. My dad used to drive a E38 740i that only recently died because someone crashed into it. Before that 100% reliable.

For some time, I used to have a BMW E92 330xi (i.e. 3L straight 6 NA) while my mom had a BMW E92 335xi (i.e. 3L straight 6 with twin turbos). Sure, it was a bit faster but apart from that there was no advantage. I preferred the power delivery on mine. I preferred the noise on mine. I preferred how it used less fuel. I preferred how the car didn't need a new engine after 6000km because the turbo disintegrated due to a manufacturing error and little pieces of engine got spread all over the road. Of course, mine also could have had a manufacturing error that could have broken the thing. But it's just less likely because there are less things that can break. And the fewer HP in mine could have been cured by a larger or more powerful engine. Detune the old S54 M3 engine so it doesn't need an oil change every week.

Turbos have more parts and are more complicated. Things that have more parts that can go wrong, will break more often. It's just a matter of statistics. The fuel savings are not significant enough imo to offset that.
max
Vela Incident

tl;dr

meh, I guess it's a matter of preference. Personally, with my driving style, I don't see the point. For slow/normal drivers, diesels are just much more efficient. If you hammer a car, it will break more easily and use a ton a fuel. I want the added reliability of a NA engine. IMO NA cars are also a nicer place to be.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5723|Roma
I dont even know what my golf does, cant be bothered to check.
All i know is when i press the foot down the car jumps forward like a rocket and the front wheels go nuts in the wet, kinda annoying when everytime it rains im spinning the wheels 1 out of 3 times at the stop light.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2012-02-28 05:08:21)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
alexb
<3
+590|5909|Kentucky, USA

Turbo's have spool lag, particularly larger ones... and its an add on to the car - another part to worry about if it breaks down, and when they do they aren't cheap.
max
Vela Incident

Well go me. Someone crashed into me, chances are the car is totalled. At first sight, damage is at least €7000, probs more.

Last edited by max (2012-02-28 08:33:27)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
D:

you ok?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
max
Vela Incident

I'm fine. The joys of a safe car I guess.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359
https://i.imgur.com/fthqL.gif
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
Pix.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5723|Roma

max wrote:

Well go me. Someone crashed into me, chances are the car is totalled. At first sight, damage is at least €7000, probs more.
jesus..well important thing you are alright.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
max
Vela Incident

https://i.imgur.com/bR2AK.jpg

doesn't look like much. But the axle is fucked. And all the metal bits are bent. The bonnet was wedged shut. Only got it open with 2 other guys. Xenon and washer is is fucked. I actually skidded sideways for 1.5-2m. But at least I could move it off the road. For a car that's worth only like €8000 chances are it'll make no sense to repair.
max
Vela Incident

so .. chances are we'll need a new car. Estate car cause we have shit to move all the time and a hatchback or saloon won't cut it size wise. Decent handling. Not much bigger than this 3 series. Should do a top speed of 250km/h. RWD, maybe 4WD. Naturally aspirated. Can be old or new. Ideas? I guess if I can find another one, we could just get the same one again.

anyhow, I'm going out now. A beer to celebrate that I'm OK.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
A4?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5950|Toronto

FatherTed wrote:

A4?
Glad to hear you're okay.

What's your budget? New or used?

B7 S4 (unless superchargers are okay with you, in which case B8 S4), E34 M5 touring (if you can find one). Hell, even the A4 3.2 would suffice.

V8, V6 or L6 goodness, your choice.

Last edited by TSI (2012-02-28 16:58:29)

I like pie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard