-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California
Suffer? MacBeth how dense are you? I was only homeschooled for 2 years and I have just as much of a social life as any public schooled child. I spent too few years going to church and hanging around the right people. I only wish I was more like the ~50 homeschoolers I went to a dance with last night.

You say they're narrow-minded? I don't think so at all. Just because you are religious doesn't make you narrow-minded. If open-minded means you accept new ideas and whatnot that are contrary to scriptures than that's not being religious. In fact I'd say open-minded is a con is most cases meaning you're willing to accept any random crap that pops out somebody's "certified" mouth.

I don't think the government should have a say in things like, don't take drugs, don't drink alcohol until x,y, or z age, age of consent, etc. I think parents should be in charge of their children and they have a right to raise their child as they see fit. This is supposed to be a free country. I think homosexuality is a sin, but I don't hate homosexuals. I know a few of them, some have stayed gay/lesbian and others have turned back; therefore I agree with the girl that it isn't genetic but that people have a choice.

You guys need to stop bashing on homeschoolers and religious folks. Just because you have differing opinions doesn't mean yours are correct. In fact that would be narrow-minded.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Roc18
`
+655|5787|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

War Man wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

War Man wrote:

I didn't ever go to a public school because my parents had bad experiences with public schools with my 2 oldest siblings, and they got feed the "PUBLIC SCHOOLS BRAINWASH CHILDREN!!!" crap which definitely insured I am not going to ever be in a public school, and they have no money for a private school. I have no fucking clue what the hell I'm supposed to do now.
If I recall correctly the state doesn't recognize your homeschooling? I'm curious as to what your parents think about the situation in you are in.
Insistent that I'm having a better education than if I was in a public school, can't provide any good arguments against that. At least I am not willing to bother as they will still continue on with their thinking and I have no other pathway to take.

By the way, my state doesn't recognize my homeschooling? Where did you get that?
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p3731413
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 5#p3731415

>Say Public Schooling is shit
>Now saying Public Schooling would make you better off

Make up your mind War Man
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin

Roc18 wrote:

War Man wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

If I recall correctly the state doesn't recognize your homeschooling? I'm curious as to what your parents think about the situation in you are in.
Insistent that I'm having a better education than if I was in a public school, can't provide any good arguments against that. At least I am not willing to bother as they will still continue on with their thinking and I have no other pathway to take.

By the way, my state doesn't recognize my homeschooling? Where did you get that?

Didn't say I am better off going to a public school, you just fucking fail at interpreting my posts.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Roc18
`
+655|5787|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

War Man wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

War Man wrote:

Didn't say I am better off going to a public school, you just fucking fail at interpreting my posts.
K, then what were you trying to say?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Suffer? MacBeth how dense are you? I was only homeschooled for 2 years and I have just as much of a social life as any public schooled child. I spent too few years going to church and hanging around the right people. I only wish I was more like the ~50 homeschoolers I went to a dance with last night.

You say they're narrow-minded? I don't think so at all. Just because you are religious doesn't make you narrow-minded. If open-minded means you accept new ideas and whatnot that are contrary to scriptures than that's not being religious. In fact I'd say open-minded is a con is most cases meaning you're willing to accept any random crap that pops out somebody's "certified" mouth.

I don't think the government should have a say in things like, don't take drugs, don't drink alcohol until x,y, or z age, age of consent, etc. I think parents should be in charge of their children and they have a right to raise their child as they see fit. This is supposed to be a free country. I think homosexuality is a sin, but I don't hate homosexuals. I know a few of them, some have stayed gay/lesbian and others have turned back; therefore I agree with the girl that it isn't genetic but that people have a choice.

You guys need to stop bashing on homeschoolers and religious folks. Just because you have differing opinions doesn't mean yours are correct. In fact that would be narrow-minded.
Whoa.. who is this guy?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
I thought it'd at least take three posts before Warman/Sh1fty was mentioned. This site never fails to achieve.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

Sh1fty wrote:

In fact I'd say open-minded is a con is most cases meaning you're willing to accept any random crap that pops out somebody's "certified" mouth.
I'd say religious dogma falls into the same category as "random crap that pops out somebody's "certified" mouth".
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
Is it fair to the child?  Who cares?

Let natural selection take its course.  If the parents successfully teach their child and he/she succeeds in life, that's great.

If they fuck up, and she/he's flipping burgers the rest of her/his life, oh well.

It's like those parents that refuse to use modern medicine and think that faith alone will heal their ailments.  If they wanna go that route, so be it.  If they die in the process, then it spares the rest of us having to deal with them.
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5059

-Whiteroom- wrote:

well shifty has recently realized that his amazing homeschooling has crushed his ability to get his dream job... and that job doesn't exactly have high standards.
And he was the Home School Valedictorian!
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.

Turquoise wrote:

Is it fair to the child?  Who cares?

Let natural selection take its course.  If the parents successfully teach their child and he/she succeeds in life, that's great.

If they fuck up, and she/he's flipping burgers the rest of her/his life, oh well.

It's like those parents that refuse to use modern medicine and think that faith alone will heal their ailments.  If they wanna go that route, so be it.  If they die in the process, then it spares the rest of us having to deal with them.
The problem obviously lies with children not being able to have a choice, and the route they're being forced down is probably going to have a negative impact on them in the long run. Adults dying from stupid shit is natural selection, children too young to know isn't, it's a tragedy.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

In fact I'd say open-minded is a con is most cases meaning you're willing to accept any random crap that pops out somebody's "certified" mouth. .
This is an example of why you take so much shit here, please remedy it.

Last edited by jord (2012-02-06 09:35:31)

Turquoise
O Canada

jord wrote:

The problem obviously lies with children not being able to have a choice, and the route they're being forced down is probably going to have a negative impact on them in the long run. Adults dying from stupid shit is natural selection, children too young to know isn't, it's a tragedy.
I guess we define things differently.  I understand why people care about this stuff, but it mostly can't be helped.

The freedom of religion prevents most interventions by the state in cases like the Christian Scientists.  And when it comes to homeschooling, parents are gonna indoctrinate their kids one way or another.

I wouldn't consider it tragic when kids die over the Christian Scientist stuff, because it's basically inevitable.  If anything, enough of these things happening might eventually end the practice of strict Christian Science, but until then, oh well...

Maybe that sounds callous, but it's reality.  You can't really save people from themselves, and children are often the collateral involved.

I'd still prefer that over having the government go down a slippery slope.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California

Kmar wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Whoa.. who is this guy?
that's me using my brain. Don't expect to see it often here. My posts are done between rounds of BF3 on xbox.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5784|Catherine Black
Gays have as much choice in wanting to bum guys as you or I have in wanting to bum ladies.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5698|College Park, MD

Finray wrote:

Gays have as much choice in wanting to bum guys as you or I have in wanting to bum ladies.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6465

Finray wrote:

Yeah but everyone knows you don't want to do that Finray.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6738|FUCK UBISOFT

I think people who are gay and become straight aren't gay.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Finray wrote:

I take it you guys are speaking from experience?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

I don't mean to jump in here when there was such a nice conversation about sodomy going on but I had to respond to this.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I don't think the government should have a say in things like, don't take drugs, don't drink alcohol until x,y, or z age, age of consent, etc. I think parents should be in charge of their children and they have a right to raise their child as they see fit. This is supposed to be a free country.
You're giving an awful lot of control to parents here Shifty. Do you think there's any value in that? See child abuse is a major problem where I live and the common theme whenever an episode comes up is that parents feel they have they right to do what they want with their kids. This can often involve harsh disciplinary measures or indoctrination into questionable beliefs. Some people just shouldn't be parents Shifty, that's the crux of the matter. What's more is that children shouldn't be the property of their parents, it can't be a matter of essentially allowing a parent completely free reign over another human being regardless of whether it's their child. All well and good in a perfect world where every parent cares for their kid as they should, not so great in the real one where they don't.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I think homosexuality is a sin, but I don't hate homosexuals. I know a few of them, some have stayed gay/lesbian and others have turned back; therefore I agree with the girl that it isn't genetic but that people have a choice.
This shit about curing or overcoming homosexuality is and has always been just that - shit. The only choice involved in homosexuality is the decision to go with or against one's own nature - completely possible of course. My only response to that would be give it time, we'll see just how long this new heterosexual lease on life lasts for the converted former-homosexual, (who knows, they may have the benefit of being bisexual.) See all these attempts to call homosexuality a choice, (or a disease,) all it achieves is to disqualify homosexuals as a segment of the population and categorise them as something of a fringe interest group. Makes it easier when it comes down to things like denying homosexual couples rights like the right to marry or adopt children.

You can categorise homosexuality as you like, (be it a disease or lifestyle choice,) you can protest against it, you can legislate against it, you can call it an affront to God, you can even deny it exists but the funny thing about it is that none of it seems to make the tiniest bit of difference.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
You're giving an awful lot of control to parents here Shifty. Do you think there's any value in that? See child abuse is a major problem where I live and the common theme whenever an episode comes up is that parents feel they have they right to do what they want with their kids. This can often involve harsh disciplinary measures or indoctrination into questionable beliefs. Some people just shouldn't be parents Shifty, that's the crux of the matter. What's more is that children shouldn't be the property of their parents, it can't be a matter of essentially allowing a parent completely free reign over another human being regardless of whether it's their child. All well and good in a perfect world where every parent cares for their kid as they should, not so great in the real one where they don't.
This times twenty million.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
On the flip side, there seems to be a news story every month about teachers being sent to jail for having sex with students, or fondling students etc. Coming out against home schooling because there's a chance a child might be abused is silly. Statistically irrelevant.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Spark wrote:

Parents SHOULD have control--until they show they aren't worthy of it. The default shouldn't be anyone else...certainly not the state. Parents are held responsible for their children until they reach the age of majority--you can't force accountability without also giving responsibility.

And "questionable"?! To whom? If their beliefs aren't infringing on anyone else's rights, who are you or anyone else to question their raising in a certain belief system? Pretty fucking arrogant/ethnocentric of you...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

Parents SHOULD have control--until they show they aren't worthy of it. The default shouldn't be anyone else...certainly not the state. Parents are held responsible for their children until they reach the age of majority--you can't force accountability without also giving responsibility.

And "questionable"?! To whom? If their beliefs aren't infringing on anyone else's rights, who are you or anyone else to question their raising in a certain belief system? Pretty fucking arrogant/ethnocentric of you...
While I agree that we should let parents mostly do as they please, questioning something doesn't require state involvement.

It makes sense that people find some of the parents in this country to be nutjobs.  I'm not saying the state should do anything about it, but a little societal peer pressure isn't a bad thing in some cases.

For example, we make fun of religious nuts for a good reason.  They still have the right to live however they want, but we have the right to criticize them.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

FEOS wrote:

Spark wrote:

I find parents raising their kids to be racist or homophobic questionable or raising their kids into gang culture, (which is a common thing here.) Call that arrogant, ethnocentric or whatever else you want to.

And I would never advocate for parents to have no control over their kids or even limited control but I am saying it should not be absolute. Kids should not be anyone's property to do with as they please.
[Blinking eyes thing]
HITNRUNXX
+220|6706|Oklahoma City
It amazes me how many people have gone from  "The government is there to serve, protect, and represent us." to "The government needs to run every aspect of our lives because we are too stupid to take care of ourselves."
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

HITNRUNXX wrote:

It amazes me how many people have gone from  "The government is there to serve, protect, and represent us." to "The government needs to run every aspect of our lives because we are too stupid to take care of ourselves."
The most terrifying thing you can tell these people seems to be "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help".
[Blinking eyes thing]

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard