Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5169|Sydney
They need it to vote.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The law as posted by westpheonix doesn't mention anything about proficiency. Without a specific guideline of what constitutes the ability to speak the English language I don't really see how they can rule her out of the race.
I figured common sense would be the guideline.
Turquoise
O Canada

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Since English is not the nation's official language, then why should she have learned it in high school? She probably went to a local, Hispanic high school, and they probably taught in Spanish. And why not? You can't argue she should have to learn English, since English is not our official language.

Do I think English SHOULD be our official language? Yes. It would save a ton of money, confusion, and future issues... But, it isn't...

So from a legal standpoint, this sounds like discrimination against her, and it shouldn't matter what language she speaks. Until it is official, it doesn't matter.
That's a fair point, but at the same time, if Arizona state law requires English proficiency to run, then she's clearly in violation of the law.

Without the law that phoenix posted in place, this could be construed as a matter of discrimination, but since AZ specifically requires it for running, then it becomes a states' rights issue.

Every state has the legal leeway to require English proficiency in order to run for office, since this requirement doesn't specifically refer to a race, religion, gender, ethnicity, mental or physical handicap, or sexual orientation.

Language proficiency doesn't apply to any particular federally protected class.
Yup, I missed it being "law" and only read all the things saying they "worried about her ability to do her job" so I retract my statement.

I could see this forcing the issue though... When this ends up heading to the Supreme Court, either English will be declared an official language, or added to the things you can't discriminate for... Maybe as a sub clause of ethnicity or something...
We might as well make English the official language to settle these kinds of issues once and for all.
Turquoise
O Canada

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

If the town is 98% Hispanic and she wants to run it seems only fair. Up to the people to decide who they want to represent them.
But do they hold citizenship xD
Heh... as if that stopped people from exploiting our system before...

Amnesty will probably be next on the agenda.
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5054
Speak English or go to a country that speaks your language. I have no desire to learn spanish so I stay the fuck out of Mexico. If people don't want to speak English then stay out of English speaking countries! Problem solved!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

cdailey2142 wrote:

Speak English or go to a country that speaks your language. I have no desire to learn spanish so I stay the fuck out of Mexico. If people don't want to speak English then stay out of English speaking countries! Problem solved!
She obviously made/is making an attempt to learn the language. Hence the debate over her proficiency. Thanks for your input though.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

According to Reuters she is a U.S. citizen by birth but was raised in Mexico.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6380
While most of the people in her district may be Spanish speaking that doesn't change the fact that the laws, bills and other official documents are in English. She needs to communicate with other officials, read, write and understand English to properly do the job. That's the point of the law as I see it.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

I agree, and she's demonstrated the ability to read, write and speak English. It's her proficiency that is the question. Even then, the law you linked to doesn't mention proficiency or any standard assessment.

It only takes 5 minutes to understand that laws, bills and regulations are written in a way that makes it tough for the average joe to make sense of them, so I don't think that is a very strong argument.
Turquoise
O Canada
In practical terms, a lot of border areas are part of Mexico anyway.  I guess the writing is on the wall with cases like this (no pun intended).

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-02-02 11:54:19)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I agree, and she's demonstrated the ability to read, write and speak English. It's her proficiency that is the question. Even then, the law you linked to doesn't mention proficiency or any standard assessment.

It only takes 5 minutes to understand that laws, bills and regulations are written in a way that makes it tough for the average joe to make sense of them, so I don't think that is a very strong argument.
TOEFL over 100, easy.

I'm just saying are people in her district eligible to vote or not.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6380

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I haven't paid much attention to this really. I've seen her speak in one clip and it seemed acceptable, but I haven't seen her read or write. Has proof that she can read and write English been shown to the public?
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

TOEFL over 100, easy.

I'm trying to understand what part of my post you're responding to but I just can't figure it out. Maybe you quoted the wrong post?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

TOEFL over 100, easy.

I'm trying to understand what part of my post you're responding to but I just can't figure it out. Maybe you quoted the wrong post?
sry first part meaning TOEFL over 100 to test her proficiency.

second part was my post about are people in her district eligible to vote due to their citizenship, not to question her citizenship status.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

The law west-Phoenix posted doesn't say anything about proficiency. I think that's the third time I've mentioned that in this thread, in addition to it being mentioned in the article.

I dont know about the voting elegibility of the constituents, but I'm not sure of the relevance of that question either (in regards to her political aspirations).
Turquoise
O Canada
Even if proficiency isn't part of the law, it seems really stupid to not have that as a requirement for entering office.

As was mentioned earlier, she'll have to communicate with a lot of English speakers in government, so her level of proficiency is pretty important.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

Yep, pretty stupid. Practically speaking, she needs to be proficient. Legally speaking, it doesn't specifically mention proficiency.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5692|College Park, MD
FWIW, one needs a decent grasp of English in order to become a naturalized US citizen.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FWIW, one needs a decent grasp of English in order to become a naturalized US citizen.
She, unlike you, was born here.
Turquoise
O Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

It would be interesting to find out if her parents were citizens before her birth or not.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5692|College Park, MD

Macbeth wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

no shit, I'm just saying that it's a bit funny that to run for office one needs to be a citizen yet a naturalized citizen probably knows more English than she does

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-02-02 15:46:36)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
HITNRUNXX
+220|6700|Oklahoma City

cdailey2142 wrote:

She does speak our language. Here in America, the official language is "Whatever you want to speak."

Once they FINALLY declare English the official language, that will be different... But until then, you really can't discriminate against people because of their language, and you need to make concessions to communicate with your fellow melting pot AMERICAN, no matter what language they speak. Oh, and your government also needs to spend your tax money to help make those concessions.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6658

If I were in the audience, I'd be really pissed if she started speaking spanish to the audience during an open council meeting.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Is there a law about it in Arizona? If not, let her run. If the voters think it's important, they won't elect her.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Macbeth wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

That's why he said naturalized. I know lots of US citizens who can't speak English at all lel.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard