thats what i thought
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6711|US
The Lemon Test seems reasonable, although the 3rd point can easily become a matter of opinion (how much is "excessive?")
Also note that it is government action.  Sometimes this part is questionable.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

eleven bravo wrote:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uOTDvxFR49gM0paB3FkhQH-Ym64Wx6zeYDgl72_ydRk/edit
Much easier to read..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom
damn reading papers a almost two years after i wrote i can see the typos much clearer
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom

RAIMIUS wrote:

The Lemon Test seems reasonable, although the 3rd point can easily become a matter of opinion (how much is "excessive?")
Also note that it is government action.  Sometimes this part is questionable.
best we got.  if i recall correctly the reason why we dont use oconnors endorsement doctrine to determine a violation of the 1st is because it will also hurt some of her previous jurisprudence so it wasnt fought for as an establishing test by the left wing of the court very strongly

nature of our english common law system
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Regardless of whether the majority of the nation practices one particular faith, the role of government should first and foremost attempt to balance all of the interests of its citizens.
The idea is sound but it's a bit of a pipe dream. Majority will always rule in a state that has elected representation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom
even that balance will be construed as favoring one portion of the population over the other by somebody
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

If it weren't such a passionate topic for some there might be a chance. It's not as if we don't value equality, as a majority. However, people take religion very personally.
The assumption that the United States is a Christian nation is plainly wrong.
This is true, though you'd have a tough time convincing people of this... despite having a well outlined list of legislative notes and judicial backing.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Would it be OK if the banner said 'Vote Democrat'?

The same people whining so hard about killjoys and people taking things too far would be all over that.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-01-29 23:16:11)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

its on school property. doesnt matter if it was placed by the school or not.  by keeping it there, it is considered an endorsement by the school of one religious belief over the other
"Our heavenly father" is fairly ambiguous...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

Among monotheistic faiths maybe.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So toss an s on the end and profit?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

its a tax payer funded school.  all religions or no religions
Was there evidence of them NOT putting up something from another religion?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6686|Tampa Bay Florida

cdailey2142 wrote:

I am so tired of hearing about religious people getting all upset over stupid shit! The time of believing in supreme beings is way past. I could understand believing in this shit if people didn't know better but at this point I consider anyone who believes in ANY religion to be mentally challenged. There is no Easter bunny, there is no tooth fairy, there is no Santa Claus and GUESS WHAT..............There is no man in the sky that knows your every thought and has has a magical plan for you! Anyone that tells you with certainty that they know what happens when you die is full of shit. If you want to solve this mystery of where you go when you die then just die and find out!
Christ.... only 9 karma?  Are you like Shifty in disguise pulling off a false flag operation or what?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6706|Oklahoma City
Guess I am mentally challenged. And proud of it.

I am so sick of everyone screaming tolerance over everything, but religious bashing being considered the new trendy thing to do.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I am so sick of everyone screaming tolerance over everything, but religious bashing being considered the new trendy thing to do.
The girl who complained is fine to bash though? Just so we're clear here.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5059

Spearhead wrote:

cdailey2142 wrote:

I am so tired of hearing about religious people getting all upset over stupid shit! The time of believing in supreme beings is way past. I could understand believing in this shit if people didn't know better but at this point I consider anyone who believes in ANY religion to be mentally challenged. There is no Easter bunny, there is no tooth fairy, there is no Santa Claus and GUESS WHAT..............There is no man in the sky that knows your every thought and has has a magical plan for you! Anyone that tells you with certainty that they know what happens when you die is full of shit. If you want to solve this mystery of where you go when you die then just die and find out!
Christ.... only 9 karma?  Are you like Shifty in disguise pulling off a false flag operation or what?
No, I just don't post much. Be on here for a while though.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6686|Tampa Bay Florida

HITNRUNXX wrote:

No it's not, which is why I made my comment....

Everyone loves playing the victim card.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

People that rock the boat always get yelled at. It's just the nature of things. Humans trend towards inertia as their default.
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6706|Oklahoma City

AussieReaper wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I disagree with her, and I disagree with aspects of the ruling, and the way the situation was handled...

I also disagree with the way she has been treated afterwards.

But I have not bashed HER at all, and don't intend to. Everyone's opinions are valid opinions. There are lots of people I admire, yet totally disagree with regularly...

Just so we're clear here.
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5059

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I'm not being insulting when I ask this. But how is it that you can believe in something that has no factual basis what so ever. Nothing in the Bible or any other religion for that matter can be or ever has been proved to be true? And what kills me is most intelligent people who don't believe in things like UFO's, The Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot or Atlantis which have WAY MORE proof that they exist can believe in a man in the sky? If I google pictures of Jesus Christ, I won't find one pic that someone has taken of Jesus. But I can google Bigfoot and find 100 pics that are supposedly real. Now I know they're not but why believe in something that has nothing to back it up other than a book that's been translated over 200 times.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6706|Oklahoma City

cdailey2142 wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I'm not being insulting when I ask this. But how is it that you can believe in something that has no factual basis what so ever. Nothing in the Bible or any other religion for that matter can be or ever has been proved to be true? And what kills me is most intelligent people who don't believe in things like UFO's, The Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot or Atlantis which have WAY MORE proof that they exist can believe in a man in the sky? If I google pictures of Jesus Christ, I won't find one pic that someone has taken of Jesus. But I can google Bigfoot and find 100 pics that are supposedly real. Now I know they're not but why believe in something that has nothing to back it up other than a book that's been translated over 200 times.
I also believe in love... Crazy, aren't I?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cdailey2142 wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6587
https://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8344/reagan.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard