1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5977|Blue Mountain State

Beduin wrote:

damn mooslims
There was some old afghan dude on the FOB who used to sell flat bread. Nice guy who had his sons work with him. Made alot of money selling us bread. I'd buy a few pieces myself before we went on a mission to eat in the truck.

They kidnapped him a few weeks ago. I think it was B Co who found the body. They fuckin mutilated that guy.

Oh well. I guess the Taliban aren't such bad dudes once you get to know them.
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida

1stSFOD-Delta wrote:

Beduin wrote:

damn mooslims
There was some old afghan dude on the FOB who used to sell flat bread. Nice guy who had his sons work with him. Made alot of money selling us bread. I'd buy a few pieces myself before we went on a mission to eat in the truck.

They kidnapped him a few weeks ago. I think it was B Co who found the body. They fuckin mutilated that guy.

Oh well. I guess the Taliban aren't such bad dudes once you get to know them.
I know, war is hell and anything goes.  But this goes beyond just this one incident, it will inflame tensions between Kabul and Washington.  Not necessarily a good time for something like this to be happen.  Do the dumbfucks taping this and posting it online do it because they want to show off or what?
1stSFOD-Delta
I think they're stupid for taping it and then putting it on the internet. As for pissing on dead bad guys, not so much. Blowing them to pieces with .50cals and MK19s is all good but don't piss on em. Coming afterwords to a site that had GBUs dropped by F-15Es with body parts fuckin everywhere. It's pretty personal when rounds are whizzing past your head.

Would I do it? No. Do I understand? Yes.

I've seen worse.

Baba Booey
1stSFOD-Delta
Or when you get called out on QRF with reports of some dudes digging on the side of the road, and when you get there and capture them, you find out they're the guys who planted the IED that killed your friends the previous week.

Last edited by 1stSFOD-Delta (2012-01-13 05:05:32)

Baba Booey
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
As a civilian, it doesn't take too much imagination to understand your first impulse would be to kill the fuckers in that situation, then and there.  But why videotape it?  At best, not videotaping it does nothing to improve an already shitty situation, at worst, it will make any Taliban who see it that much more motivated to kill Americans, and the Afghans who see it that much less willing to help us.  Am I wrong?

I realize impulse probably has a lot to do with this stuff.  I've never been shot at, so I cannot say anything more.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-01-13 07:26:48)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Bottomline: Doing it was stupid. Getting it on video was stupider. Posting it was abysmally stupid.

The first is somewhat understandable (heat of the moment, etc), but still not excusable. The other two: no. Not at all.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
1stSFOD-Delta

FEOS wrote:

Bottomline: Doing it was stupid. Getting it on video was stupider. Posting it was abysmally stupid.

The first is somewhat understandable (heat of the moment, etc), but still not excusable. The other two: no. Not at all.
This

Baba Booey
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
Seems like a career limiting move...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
English majors the world over revel in the story of the fallen Hector being dragged around the city of Troy by his victor, Achilles. They read stories and plays where the vanquished was dismembered. Yet a little salty water sprayed on the dead body is an atrocity. It's amazing how much the human race has changed over the centuries.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

English majors aren't into ancient Greek.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Jay wrote:

English majors the world over revel in the story of the fallen Hector being dragged around the city of Troy by his victor, Achilles. They read stories and plays where the vanquished was dismembered. Yet a little salty water sprayed on the dead body is an atrocity. It's amazing how much the human race has changed over the centuries.
Does that really have anything to do with this specific instance or more with coverage of war in the mass media in any modern society?

I think of it more as a political event, it is harder to retain the moral high ground when this shit comes to light.  Sure we all know stuff like this happens all the time without us hearing about it, but seeing it all over the internet and on cable TV has an impact.  It then becomes a matter of propaganda. 

And it's not "good" propaganda that serves a purpose for our side, it's self-made, self-defeating propaganda which is then handed over to our enemy via the internet.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-01-13 07:34:12)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Jay wrote:

Does that really have anything to do with this specific instance or more with coverage of war in the mass media in any modern society?

I think of it more as a political event, it is harder to retain the moral high ground when this shit comes to light.  Sure we all know stuff like this happens all the time without us hearing about it, but seeing it all over the internet and on cable TV has an impact.  It then becomes a matter of propaganda. 

And it's not "good" propaganda that serves a purpose for our side, it's self-made, self-defeating propaganda which is then handed over to our enemy via the internet.
It's a product of the 24 hour news cycle. It has shock value. It gives people a chance to take a moral stance and wag their finger. People love that. They especially love it in this case because the right tends to put soldiers on a pedestal as some heroic moral crusader worthy of worship. They're hired killers and people are upset by piss. How fucking silly.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

No kidding...   A lot of the whiners really have no sincere interest in this -- they just enjoy bitching at us for one reason or another.

I'm sure Spear isn't one of those people, but I've encountered a lot of faux outrage over this at other forums.

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-01-13 08:21:11)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6692
Getting pissed on is a luxury compared to the usual treatment an enemy of man is given.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

Spearhead wrote:

Jay wrote:

It's war.  I'm not sure if "moral high ground" even plays into it.

That's the problem with the West.  We enter conflicts thinking we can win via some politically correct version of war while fighting enemies who don't give two shits about that.

In the meantime, we get criticism from people who seem to be far less critical of the people we're fighting even when they do things far worse.

The whole hearts and minds thing just doesn't work.  We're more inclined to enter war than we should because we try to dress it up as a patriotic/humanitarian affair.  It's not.  It's about killing enough of the enemy to succeed in your goals.

There's nothing glorious or moral about that.

So when stuff like this happens, I don't see why people lose their shit over it.  I frequent another forum with a larger international contingent, and they're having a field day with this.  It's not really because they care though.  It's only because they have an axe to grind with America.  If they actually did care about this sort of thing, they'd be more evenhanded in their criticisms of both sides.

Instead, we're just the easiest target.

I understand your concerns in this, but I think the problem started when we assumed that a moral high ground exists with war.  We should abide by certain rules, but overall, it's most practical to keep in mind that the premise of war is murder.  In the grand scheme of things, urinating on a corpse is pretty trivial.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6692
"Such attacks can be severe and fatal," she said. "In the case of an adult victim, the attacking males take turns beating and jumping on the victim. Attackers use their canines to bite and tear at the victim, so that any body parts that stick out, such as testes and ears, are often ripped off during an attack."

She added, "In the case of infanticides, the attackers beat the female, but not as severely as they beat adult males. The goal appears to be to separate the infant from its mother."

Once an infant is removed from its mother, the attacker "generally kills the infant fairly quickly either with a bite to the head or by biting the stomach and disemboweling it." The infant is then sometimes cannibalized, with the meat shared as the chimpanzees would do after killing red colobus monkey prey during hunts.
Where is the outrage!?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
i would have pissed on dead taliban too
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
i would have searched their pockets
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
thats sop already.  might have intel.
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
sell it to the russians
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Beduin wrote:

The Taliban condemned the video, but said it would not affect the political process.
lol.. that coming from the taliban? damn..
But Al Qaeda collapsing two large occupied buildings in a crowded city is fine and dandy. Cool story, Taleebaaan.
Karbin
+42|6294
Nothing new.......

Part of the .50cal sniper teams story after their 2,310 m (2,526 yd) shot.

Later in 2002,M/Cpl Arron Perry was accused of discreditable conduct by the Canadian Armed Forces. Forces personnel investigated allegations that he had desecrated a combatant's corpse by removing a finger, putting a cigarette in its mouth, and placing a sign reading "Fuck Terrorism" on its chest. Military police also suspected that Perry had defecated on another corpse. After a ten month investigation it was determined that there was not enough evidence to successfully prosecute criminal charges.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
I'm not outraged at all.  I thought the other guy who wanted to make a necklace of human fingers had much more originality....
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

They didn't have a Geneva convention or US uniform code etc back then, so your argument is irrelevant.
They broke their own rules, which is why they'll be punished, and it raises the question of what other rules do they think its 'epic lulz' to break?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-01-13 15:32:26)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

1stSFOD-Delta wrote:

Or when you get called out on QRF with reports of some dudes digging on the side of the road, and when you get there and capture them, you find out they're the guys who planted the IED that killed your friends the previous week.
Thats the case whenever any enemy combatant is captured in any war, which is why there are conventions on the subject.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard