Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6702|Cambridge, England

rdx-fx wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

They also found a number of people complaining about brake pedal vibrations were just activating the ABS.... lol.
Oh, you mean the "foot massaging" function?

Seriously, if you need your brake pedal to violently vibrate to tell you your wheels are slipping, you shouldn't be allowed to drive in the winter.
Its not a foot massager its the sensation of the wheels independently being locked and unlocked in rapid succession.

As for vehicles ive owned

Ford fiesta 1.3 - first car
Ford fiesta 1.6 - rusty
Ford fiesta 1.6
Toyota MR2 SW20
Ginetta G28 - still own
VW Polo - horrible
Toyota MR2 AW11 - still own, 1989 car with electric mirrors, heated screen etc as standard no problems with it at all
rdx-fx
+955|6561

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Its not a foot massager its the sensation of the wheels independently being locked and unlocked in rapid succession.
Yeah, I know.  I was being "Cheeky".

It's a useless annoyance feature to me, so I renamed it according to the closest 'useful' function it serves for me.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-01-09 12:07:52)

cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5033
As an American I WANT the US to produce a decent car. But I just haven't seen it happen. I've had lots of cars since I was 16. Honda CRX as a teenager which was a great car. Not expensive but overall a good teenager car and safe. I've had SUV's both American Made and foreign. But the GM SUV's always have problems and the others don't. Finally as an adult I've owned 3 BMW's and I have to say that IMO German engineering far surpasses any other country. You pay more but in the end you get what you pay for.
rdx-fx
+955|6561

cdailey2142 wrote:

As an American I WANT the US to produce a decent car. But I just haven't seen it happen. I've had lots of cars since I was 16. Honda CRX as a teenager which was a great car. Not expensive but overall a good teenager car and safe. I've had SUV's both American Made and foreign. But the GM SUV's always have problems and the others don't. Finally as an adult I've owned 3 BMW's and I have to say that IMO German engineering far surpasses any other country. You pay more but in the end you get what you pay for.
QFT

America can do excellent engineering. 
Intel. Lockheed. Boeing. NASA.
All have done amazing bits of engineering over the years.

It's the middle managers, lawyers, and shareholders that enforce a culture of risk-averse mediocrity.

If I'm buying an expensive piece of equipment that must be reliable, it's probably going to be made in Germany or Japan.
Cars, cutlery, binoculars or rifle optics, footwear, winter clothing.. generally anything that would be a major pain in the ass if it randomly failed 100 miles from nowhere.
Karbin
+42|6264
Close....... try the accounting dept. Everything HAS to go past them, right down to how many and what type for nuts to hold stuff in place.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Karbin wrote:

Close....... try the accounting dept. Everything HAS to go past them, right down to how many and what type for nuts to hold stuff in place.
I would accept that as an excuse if they were turning profits, but they aren't. They're being penny wise and pound foolish.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6679|Oklahoma City
I think it has all been a marketing ploy... Look at the new Taurus... It jumped from being a $18K vehicle to what? $40K? It is a damn Taurus, not a Caddy...

BUT

Buy another U.S. made vehicle for $25K, and you will be replacing it in another 5-7 years... And then in 5-7 more... But you will still only buy American, because you are a Commy bastard if you don't.

I think we are only starting to get out of the brainwashing phase and into the "What is really the best product for the money?" phase...

So buy a higher end, more expensive U.S. vehicle and it will last longer... Or buy the crap at the bottom and complain when it doesn't last as long. Then repeat. OR, look for a better product elsewhere at a better price.

Seriously, stop supporting bad products... You only encourage them...
Karbin
+42|6264

Jay wrote:

Karbin wrote:

I would accept that as an excuse if they were turning profits, but they aren't. They're being penny wise and pound foolish.
Said in a nutshell.
Accounting is a great help in running the company, but should NEVER run the company.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I think it has all been a marketing ploy... Look at the new Taurus... It jumped from being a $18K vehicle to what? $40K? It is a damn Taurus, not a Caddy...

BUT

Buy another U.S. made vehicle for $25K, and you will be replacing it in another 5-7 years... And then in 5-7 more... But you will still only buy American, because you are a Commy bastard if you don't.

I think we are only starting to get out of the brainwashing phase and into the "What is really the best product for the money?" phase...

So buy a higher end, more expensive U.S. vehicle and it will last longer... Or buy the crap at the bottom and complain when it doesn't last as long. Then repeat. OR, look for a better product elsewhere at a better price.

Dude, that's 100% a Midwestern/Southern mindset. Seeing an American car on the road in the NYC area is so rare you can almost play 'punch buggy' with them. People around here generally don't get blinded by patriotism the way y'all do.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
why is it the only place where i see people talk so negatively about american cars is a video game forum?
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
and I know absolutely no one who prefers ford over chevy.  no one.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

https://vehiclevinyls.com/products_sized/NEW%20Calvin%20Disc%201%200430.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
seen it on the road.  never met anyone who actually does
Tu Stultus Es
Karbin
+42|6264
Thats the reason 3/4 of the parts suppliers that were around before the crash are now gone.

You, as a supplier, agree to make a part for "X" cost for 48000 parts per year for 5 years.
After the first year you are told that you have to drop your price by...say....8%... oh and we only need 38000 parts for that year.
Second year you are told you have to drop the price 12% but things are looking better and we need 46000 parts for that year.

Now do that with ALL the suppliers.
If you don't like the contract that says we can do things like this.....then you don't get the contract.
There is always someone starting up that will take the contract.

Thats the thinking....and that is the real.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
One of my roommates in the Army worked for GM in the supply department of a small factory in North Carolina. He drove a Ford Ranger.

Why? Because he said that the parts he received were designed to fail. At the time he worked for them, GM was making twice as much money repairing cars as it was making in sales, so little by little they were cheapening the parts in order to increase repair costs, on purpose. Fucked up operating philosophy, but it seems to me that it's become the standard.

That whole 'they don't make things like they used to' is true. Companies purposely want their product to wear out so that you buy a new one.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

eleven bravo wrote:

I do.  Mazda's better than Ford though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

hi
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

hi
hey...  lol
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York

eleven bravo wrote:

Too bad Chevy styling is so horribly uninspired. To me, 75% of their cars look like absolute shit. At least with the majority of Fords on the road, the styling is actually very good. Never used to be that way, but they've improved a lot recently.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
style is subjective.  i think fords look like doo doo
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

thats because youre in canada
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada

eleven bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

thats because youre in canada
Not quite...  Toronto is alright, but I doubt I'd want to live there.  The people were nice enough though.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6679|Oklahoma City

eleven bravo wrote:

That explains why the Ford F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the USA every year....

No wait, that doesn't explain it at all...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
your mom is the best selling vehicle in the USA
Tu Stultus Es
HITNRUNXX
+220|6679|Oklahoma City

Jay wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

BUT

Dude, that's 100% a Midwestern/Southern mindset. Seeing an American car on the road in the NYC area is so rare you can almost play 'punch buggy' with them. People around here generally don't get blinded by patriotism the way y'all do.
Now you have me curious... Is that really only local brainwashing, or is New York just exempt? How many of you see that where you are at? Anyone outside of the Midwest/Southwest area see the "Buy American Cars or you are not American" attitude?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard