Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6730|Cambridge, England

Jay wrote:

do you remember the UK riots last summer? Do you not think they wouldn't have gotten so far out of hand if the store owners had been armed? That's my belief.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Store owner would have the drop on the rioters. When you have a gun pointed at your face do you keep running toward it? I doubt it, and if you say you would you're a lying wanna-be badass.

The moment that first guy gets hit the game turns to GTFO GTFO QUICK
You are a store owner with a gun (yay) 30+ scummy kids break into your shop also with guns, you are saying that if you point yours at them they will all just run off? More likely is you will get shot.

Really guys? from Sh1fty its expected but Jay?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Jay wrote:

do you remember the UK riots last summer? Do you not think they wouldn't have gotten so far out of hand if the store owners had been armed? That's my belief.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Store owner would have the drop on the rioters. When you have a gun pointed at your face do you keep running toward it? I doubt it, and if you say you would you're a lying wanna-be badass.

You are a store owner with a gun (yay) 30+ scummy kids break into your shop also with guns, you are saying that if you point yours at them they will all just run off? More likely is you will get shot.

You're missing the point. The riot wouldn't have occurred in the first place, or it wouldn't have escalated to the extent that it did, if people knew there was danger involved in robbing a shop. After the first rioter was shot and it was broadcast on the news, it would've stopped being fun and most of them would've had their flight mechanism kick in and go home.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
True, coz that's what happened in LA, right?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

the korean store owners who were armed didnt get their stores burned or looted.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

London needs more Korean store owners, obv.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
the L.A. riots happened because the LAPD made a series of really bad decisions that allowed it to escalate.
Tu Stultus Es
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK
The London riots happened because the London Metropolitan Police made a series of really bad decisions that allowed it to escalate.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
scotland yard be fucking up
Tu Stultus Es
HudsonFalcon
+20|5929|New York

eleven bravo wrote:

the L.A. riots happened because the LAPD made a series of really bad decisions that allowed it to escalate.
Riots in L.A. happen because people want free shit.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK
New Scotland Yard FYI.

Someone give Hudson a job at a reputable think tank.  Analysis like that must not be wasted on an nerd internet forum.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

Jay wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Jay wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You're missing the point. The riot wouldn't have occurred in the first place, or it wouldn't have escalated to the extent that it did, if people knew there was danger involved in robbing a shop. After the first rioter was shot and it was broadcast on the news, it would've stopped being fun and most of them would've had their flight mechanism kick in and go home.
Well actually the riots started when a man was shot by Police, so I dread to think how they would have gone should every angry young man be armed.

I'm not against guns in the US, it's part of your culture and it isn't going to go away anytime soon. Infact if I ever holiday again in the US I'd like to do some shooting myself as I've only ever shot an sa80 lying in the rain at 8AM in the morning. I imagine the experience could be a lot more enjoyable. When you start saying things like this though:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Jay wrote:

I can't believe so many of you accept the logic that you personally are too stupid and untrustworthy to possess a weapon. As if the state is somehow better at that sort of thing. Your government treats you like five year olds and you thank them for it.
That's when I will chime in.

The fact is, and i'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that many times to you that you could not possibily have missed it... is that we can own firearms here. You apply and if you meet the required criteria then you can have a rifle at age 18+ or a shotgun at 17+. The process is a lot more controlled than the US and I imagine more time consuming too, but that's how I'd rather have it. I don't think I personally "am too stupid or untrustworthy to possess a firearm", but I do think at least half the people in this town are. Infact 50% is a nice number for the scum that inhabit this town. So yeah, while I'm not gonna thank my government for it (certainly not if I ever do apply for a firearm licence) I am glad there are strict controls in place because people are fucking stupid.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Americans harping on about how every other country in the world should have gun control like they do is akin to having Mormons knocking on my door telling me I should worship Jesus. I'm glad I don't live in a society that is driven by fear to the point I feel the need to own and/or carry a firearm around with me at all times.
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

What on earth makes you think it's driven by fear? That's a ridiculous notion.

It's driven by our Bill of Rights and our belief in the inviolability of those rights, not fear.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US

Macbeth wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I wasn't talking specifically about gun related deaths, but crime & injuries as well. Those instances have to be more common than in a country where firearms are illegal. 1+1=2 kind of thing.
Again since you ignored it last time

Macbeth wrote:

Can you cite how many people are injured by guns every year?

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/nonfatal.html
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

RAIMIUS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I wasn't talking specifically about gun related deaths, but crime & injuries as well. Those instances have to be more common than in a country where firearms are illegal. 1+1=2 kind of thing.
Again since you ignored it last time

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/nonfatal.html
Okay, so according to the CDC between in the year 2010 there was 53,738 firearm injuries. CDC puts the U.S. population at 308,745,538 and puts the per 100,000 firearm injury rate at 17.41. My caluclator puts the overall injury amount of people injured as a percent of our population at 0.017%

Firearm deaths were roughly 30,000 and that rounds out to .0097%. Adding the two together puts the percent of American affected by firearms to 0.027% of the U.S. population.

So should we ban all handguns because half of a half of a percent of Americans are affected negatively by firearms? This is of course assuming those numbers are all violence related to handguns and are not hunting accidents or assaults with hunting weapons.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6736|Toronto | Canada

youre making peoples deaths a statistic, which really isnt right.  anyone dying is a trajedy.  thats like saying we should only focus on specific medical problems and if people have something thats not "statistically significant" then we shouldnt try to fix it. 

by that standard nearly every type of cancer wouldnt be a problem, right? because most of them are below the ~40k/year in the US for firearm deaths.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Because feelings are more important than facts, right? I've posted facts about gun deaths and injuries and the most you can respond back with is - statistics aren't nice. Seriously?

I made a similar analogy a few pages back. It was about about car engines and lowering deaths and injuries. I made the suggestion that we force manufacturers to limit engines to slow 4 cylinders vehicles and electronically limit them since there are many more deaths and injuries related to cars. I would post the stats for those but that would be mean because deaths are tragedies rah rah rah. My point was that that would be equivalent to burning down the house in order to stop a mice infestation. It's draconian. An over reaction.

If you want to reduce gun deaths, or cancer deaths, or car deaths there are other things you can do then 'burning down the house' by banning cars, guns, and cancer or something.
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

The fallacy with the cancer vs guns vs cars analogy is that cancer has no positive qualities.
― Albert Einstein

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

youre really either too worked up about this or completely blind.  i said that the statistics arent really what matter in this case, if there are a significant amount of deaths from anything then we should try to do something about it.

limiting the speed of cars isnt an efficient or realistic method of saving peoples lives.  having them electronically controlled or automated would, since theres always going to be human error.  saying we should limit our cars to a speed that would save people in a head on collision (realistically probably around 30-40km/h) is nonsense. 

i never said banning cars, guns or cancer (...wtf?) so im not sure where youre getting that from.  but there should be strict controls on both cars and guns for everyones safety.  at the very least, there should be some sort of mandatory gun control course you need to take (look at drivers licenses) as well as an aptitude test.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Winston_Churchill wrote:

youre really either too worked up about this or completely blind.  i said that the statistics arent really what matter in this case, if there are a significant amount of deaths from anything then we should try to do something about it.

limiting the speed of cars isnt an efficient or realistic method of saving peoples lives.  having them electronically controlled or automated would, since theres always going to be human error.  saying we should limit our cars to a speed that would save people in a head on collision (realistically probably around 30-40km/h) is nonsense. 

i never said banning cars, guns or cancer (...wtf?) so im not sure where youre getting that from.  but there should be strict controls on both cars and guns for everyones safety.  at the very least, there should be some sort of mandatory gun control course you need to take (look at drivers licenses) as well as an aptitude test.
The point of pointing out the statistics was to show how statistically small and insignificant the problem was that 'burning down the house' wouldn't be the best response.

So you want strict controls on cars and guns. Awesome, we aren't so different. If you have read the last few pages you would have seen the start of this argument was when Shocking made the point that "no one should have guns" period full stop. That's where I was following up and what Ram quoted was a part of that argument. If you had read the previous pages you will see whre I have said that some gun control was cool and how Shocking was going Draco.

Maybe you should have read back a bit instead of, I don't know, jumping in randomly.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
You can't really argue against cancer treatment or vehicles as a similie to gun ownership unless you really love your straw men. The purpose of a gun is to kill.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Along with bows and arrows, swords, crossbows and other things people collect. The first and third of those thing are also used for hunting. IIRC, some hunters like to carry a back up pistol when bear hunting in case one gets too close. It's also pretty hard to use a hunting rifle for home defense.

It's not a straw man btw.
A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position
It's an analogy.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Macbeth wrote:

Maybe you should have read back a bit instead of, I don't know, jumping in randomly.
that sounds like a serious fwp
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

that sounds like a serious fwp
It's not a first world problem that you jumped into a thread that you know shit about and didn't bother to read. Yeah it's my problem you are dense and lazy.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

hahahahaha

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard