Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6260|eXtreme to the maX
Have you done a real maximal sprint?
Two 30 second maximal sprints, how the body behaves during those and how it recovers in between is of interest.

The follow up study I did involved:

VO2Max Measurement - done properly, breathing into a machine, line into the arm to take blood samples every minute, continued to 100% effort.
Two 30 second maximal sprints with ~5 minutes of 50% capacity exercise in between, one 30 second maximal sprint is no fun - if you don't throw up you're not really trying. Two together is less fun.
12 sessions of 30 minutes endurance training at 90% of maximal effort, load upped for the next session if heart rate is below 190bpm at the end of the session. Cadence of 70 on the bike, which is painful when the typical comfortable cadence is ~100.
VO2Max Measurement.
Two 30 second maximal sprints with ~5 minutes of 50% capacity exercise in between.

It was an interesting experience.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6891|Oxferd Ohire
its haibai, he is the perfect human if you didnt know
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which reminds me, I think I should do some exercise this year.
Gonna be epic.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6920|UK
I need to get back on this shit. After I broke my hand I kinda let it just die off and let rowing take over. Sometime this month im gunna have to join a gym again.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5333|Sydney
Wow, time to get back on the horse! Now December is done and dusted I'm super keen to get my diet right on track and my workout regime under way once more
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5638|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Dilbert_X wrote:

Two 30 second maximal sprints, how the body behaves during those and how it recovers in between is of interest.

VO2Max Measurement - done properly, breathing into a machine, line into the arm to take blood samples every minute, continued to 100% effort.
Two 30 second maximal sprints with ~5 minutes of 50% capacity exercise in between, one 30 second maximal sprint is no fun - if you don't throw up you're not really trying. Two together is less fun.
12 sessions of 30 minutes endurance training at 90% of maximal effort, load upped for the next session if heart rate is below 190bpm at the end of the session. Cadence of 70 on the bike, which is painful when the typical comfortable cadence is ~100.
VO2Max Measurement.
Two 30 second maximal sprints with ~5 minutes of 50% capacity exercise in between.

well yes, i ran track and ran 100m, 200m, and 400m at 100% capacity every week

practices usually consisted of six 200m in a row with a minute break in between.  we also had practices of four 500m with about 5 minutes break in between

in case you didnt know, 400m is about a minute and 200m is about 30 seconds.  and yeah, i never threw up
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6346|Roma
fuck. haven't been to the gym in 4 weeks. Too much studying and no gym around.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

VO2Max Measurement.

practices usually consisted of six 200m in a row with a minute break in between.  we also had practices of four 500m with about 5 minutes break in between

in case you didnt know, 400m is about a minute and 200m is about 30 seconds.  and yeah, i never threw up
You sprinted 400m as hard as you can?
HaiBai

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

VO2Max Measurement.

i know, amazing right?

i dont remember my exact PR but it was sub 50...  idk, i posted it in this thread a year or two ago
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

i know, amazing right?
'Hard as you can' =/= 'the absolute limit your heart/lung system can take'.

Most people can't reach that limit running.
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

i know, amazing right?

True, not nearly enough resistance.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Until you've done a VO2max test you don't know what a maximal sprint is.
Its no fun doing a sprint then being told "very good, now put in 30% more effort on the next one".
HaiBai

Dilbert_X wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

i know, amazing right?

i dont understand.  were you on a treadmill or something where they kept increasing the speed?

i'd like to think that i and all the other competitors were running at 100% at our state meet.  i mean, there's a reason it was state.  we were all there to compete for real, and i seriously doubt i could've increased my 400m time by attempting to run at real 100% speed when i already thought that i was running at my maximum speed
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney
No one runs at 100% flat out for a 400m sprint from the starting line, they save it for the final burst to the finish.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6445|Washington St.
even then id say most of it is mental. i get the feeling you mentally cannot push your body to the absolute limit unless it's life or death or something like that. probably has something to do with why you always hear about people lifting cars off of other people who are about to die. if you ask someone to hold they're breath as long as possible chances are they can hold it longer if they are swimming to safety from being trapped under water than just standing in front of you with a watch.
I dunno though. I'm no doctor.
HaiBai

Jaekus wrote:

No one runs at 100% flat out for a 400m sprint from the starting line, they save it for the final burst to the finish.
nah, there's actually a technique.  first six seconds you always run at 100% because you're body is running off of ATP energy.  then you slow down a bit but keep pace with your competitors.  then you start to go 100% at about the last 100m.

so in reality, we aren't running at 100% the entire time, but i think that's because the "run as hard as you can technique" won't result in completing the race in a quicker time.  it's still pretty hard though.  i remember that after my first 400m ever, i felt like i was about to faint.  there was blackness eating away the corners of my eyes and i just fell to the ground and rested.  thankfully i didn't faint, as that would've been really embarrasing

Last edited by HaiBai (2012-01-05 00:36:08)

HaiBai

pirana6 wrote:

even then id say most of it is mental. i get the feeling you mentally cannot push your body to the absolute limit unless it's life or death or something like that. probably has something to do with why you always hear about people lifting cars off of other people who are about to die. if you ask someone to hold they're breath as long as possible chances are they can hold it longer if they are swimming to safety from being trapped under water than just standing in front of you with a watch.
I dunno though. I'm no doctor.
i completely agree.  during track, we were just running as fast as we knew how.  if our lives are in danger, i'm sure that would completely change

i just don't understand why dilbert's vo2 thing is 100% while running a 400m race isn't
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

nah, there's actually a technique.  first six seconds you always run at 100% because you're body is running off of ATP energy.  then you slow down a bit but keep pace with your competitors.  then you start to go 100% at about the last 100m.

so in reality, we aren't running at 100% the entire time, but i think that's because the "run as hard as you can technique" won't result in completing the race in a quicker time.  it's still pretty hard though.  i remember that after my first 400m ever, i felt like i was about to faint.  there was blackness eating away the corners of my eyes and i just fell to the ground and rested.  thankfully i didn't faint, as that would've been really embarrasing
So you're saying you lied? Cool, thought so.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6808

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

So you're saying you lied? Cool, thought so.
You get maximal energy output in the first 6-10 seconds. After that you're out of stored ATP reserves, no matter who you are. Then it's up to your body's ability to produce more ATP in a rapid fashion, which benefits from "conditioning". No one technically goes at 100% after the initial burst, if you are using that period as a reference for what "100%" is...which is, I think, what he means by that.

E: This is assuming you start off expending as much energy as possible. Better conditioned athletes can still start fast without technically pushing themselves as hard, thereby "saving" their energy for the end (you're still going to be out of the intial ATP that was stored, though...).

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-01-05 01:19:25)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney
Well I don't disagree with that, but when someone says they're putting their body to 100% strain over 400m, I have my doubts.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A lab-type maximal sprint is to give 100% effort for the full time, not resting in the middle or saving anything for the end.
The objective is to test the body, not beat the next guy.
Power output obviously tails off, there are various ways of checking whether you're really putting in 100%.
Its an experience for sure.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam
I love how the last page is nothing but the over-analyzation of a 400m sprint.
It's high-school level biology all over again, only this time it's invading PE for some odd reason.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6825|UK
i know right?  who the fuck watches anything outside the 100m sprint final.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5942|Catherine Black
i just came back from the gym, my new years resolution was to get fit again

i hurt
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jaekus
+957|5333|Sydney

Finray wrote:

i just came back from the gym, my new years resolution was to get fit again

i hurt