Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
It's always interested me. I'm just wondering what kind of tools I need to get started. I assume a Dremel and a small lathe are essential for furniture but what else? I want to start with a coffee table.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y
probz need some wood
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

A saw. A sander. A planner. Glue.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

A rotary saw
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
wood
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/profile.php?id=53068
Ahh, you're right. I forgot about the mockery he was exposed to

I'm being 100% serious though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359
drill, drill bits, table saw, circular saw, jigsaw, bandsaw, router, router table, router bits, sanders, planer, chisels, rasps, tape measure, square, miter gauge/box, clamps (lots of clamps), hammer, mallet, screwdrivers, saw horses, level, hearing protection, eye protection (good goggles)

kreg jig can come in handy

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2011-12-30 11:39:40)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

There are better ways to lose weight.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

west-phoenix-az wrote:

drill, drill bits, table saw, circular saw, jigsaw, bandsaw, router, router table, router bits, sanders, planer, chisels, rasps, tape measure, square, miter gauge/box, clamps (lots of clamps), hammer, mallet, screwdrivers, saw horses, level

So basically there's way more to it than I expected and I need to put it off for a while Ok.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
chainsaw sculpture
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

Beduin wrote:

wood
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
woah, when did they start showing deleted posts?
-Frederick Bastiat
Roc18
`
+655|5761|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Beduin wrote:

wood
working
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
my first entry into woodworking was way back in high school. We had a whole woodshop with all the tools needed (most used was table saw, router, planer fyi). It's hard to do much without the basic essentials but if you can find some woodshops in your area I think you might be able to find the person that runs/owns it and pay them a certain amount of money per hour to use it at your leisure (though this may be only during certain "open" hours during the day).
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359
maybe you can trade wood working time for wood working time
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I've done a good deal of woodwork.
I was taught by one of the most respected woodowrk teachers in the UK, who started Lord Linley on his path  /Uziquenamedroppinglikeitmatterswhomyteacherwas

I can't be bothered with furniture, the equipment needed is so large and heavy its a pita to house.
Lightweight DIY machines aren't worth having, furniture is cheap to buy and so slow to make I don't see the point.

But starting points would be a set of hand tools, clamps, bench,  table saw, lathe, router, bandsaw, pillar drill/morticer, planer in that order.
You can get your lumber shop to do your planing, thats probably the noisiest machine.
Don't buy cheap chisels, and you need a grinding wheel and stone.

I can do almost anything I want with a pillar drill, router and hand-held circular saw, apart from turning obviously.
A Festo guide-rail saw is a neat alternative to a table saw, and very useful for cutting up sheet material in perfect straight lines, I don't regret the $1k I spent on that - but only recommend it if you really will be handling a lot of MFD or chipboard.
Turning would is fun, if you want to make bowls and things you can get a very short lathe. Apart from that if you avoid round parts you don't need one.

I'd do an evening class and see what you like.

Also, a good first aid kit is essential, I like the fabric elastoplast on a roll - you can cut it to suit your injury of the day.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-12-30 14:30:02)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
I like to "work" my "wood."

Srsly though I did some woodwork in tech theater for high school. Always fun playing with saws.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've done a good deal of woodwork.
I was taught by one of the most respected woodowrk teachers in the UK, who started Lord Linley on his path  /Uziquenamedroppinglikeitmatterswhomyteacherwas

I can't be bothered with furniture, the equipment needed is so large and heavy its a pita to house.
Lightweight DIY machines aren't worth having, furniture is cheap to buy and so slow to make I don't see the point.

But starting points would be a set of hand tools, clamps, bench,  table saw, lathe, router, bandsaw, pillar drill/morticer, planer in that order.
You can get your lumber shop to do your planing, thats probably the noisiest machine.
Don't buy cheap chisels, and you need a grinding wheel and stone.

I can do almost anything I want with a pillar drill, router and hand-held circular saw, apart from turning obviously.
A Festo guide-rail saw is a neat alternative to a table saw, and very useful for cutting up sheet material in perfect straight lines, I don't regret the $1k I spent on that - but only recommend it if you really will be handling a lot of MFD or chipboard.
Turning would is fun, if you want to make bowls and things you can get a very short lathe. Apart from that if you avoid round parts you don't need one.

I'd do an evening class and see what you like.

Also, a good first aid kit is essential, I like the fabric elastoplast on a roll - you can cut it to suit your injury of the day.
Probably the best advice I'll get. Would probably make sense to find out if it's something I actually enjoy before investing money
-Frederick Bastiat
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6791|Belgium

Dilbert_X wrote:

I can acknowledge that; so far I have not (yet) invested in a table saw as my father in law has a very (very) well equiped work place; but I would not be able to have done all the woodwork I have done in my house so far without my Festool. It is simply amazing. Than again all of their tools are and all cost a small fortune; so amen on following some courses first as woodworking can become an extremely expensive hobby.

Building on top of the previous "simpler" tools, a really neat thing to have is a combination table with circular saw / Spindle Moulder / Planer Thicknesser / Sliding Carriage; and a dovetail jig

(Not certain I got all of the English names correct)

Anyways any and all of these tools will allow you the any thing you would like to make; but as said it costs a small fortune.

Cheers and keep your fingers; cuts and black nails is common; but with the fun machinery the price of mistakes will not be fixed with elastoplast.
R
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
around these here parts we have an organisation called Men's Shed. Its basically a building full of tools, made and run by men, for men. It is supposed to help stop depression and other problems (alcoholism/drug addiction etc). Have a look around your area and see if there is anything similar where you are. Men's Shed may even be international.

http://www.mensshed.org/home/.aspx

It is fantastic, you get taught for free, make what you want, go as often as you like, and meet like minded people.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624

Adams_BJ wrote:

around these here parts we have an organisation called Men's Shed. Its basically a building full of tools, made and run by men, for men. It is supposed to help stop depression and other problems (alcoholism/drug addiction etc). Have a look around your area and see if there is anything similar where you are. Men's Shed may even be international.

http://www.mensshed.org/home/.aspx

It is fantastic, you get taught for free, make what you want, go as often as you like, and meet like minded people.
I don't see that program in America, but that's a really great idea. He should get one started in NY and see if it catches on.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
It really is, and it's not only restricted to wood working, you can basically do whatever you like there, some even do cooking classes (Jay would love that part!), or you can sit around and talk shit/play cards and have a cup of tea or coffee.

I will probably join my local one when I get a few years older.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

west-phoenix-az wrote:

the kreg pocket screw jig is in the top 10 of greatest 20th century inventions.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Some nice leather gloves can save your hands, as well as a place to store the thing to cure after applying finish.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard