Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5960|London, England

Because the PC fad is popular with people that are afraid of offending noone
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

mong? ricky gervais fervently disagrees with you. as does the rest of bf2s, evidently.
It went out of vogue for a reason. I couldn't care less about Ricky Gervais' opinion. His schtick is to be an utter twat. To be as irredeemably offensive to as wide a swath of humanity as possible. So...good show, emulating that.
no his schtick isn't to be offensive at all. the point was language and its usage changes. the word 'mong' has not been used in common speech in a pejorative sense since like the fucking 70's. it's a benign - and goddamn funny - sounding word. a new generation of people using it that have NEVER used it in an insulting way can change the meaning. now stop being a mong about it.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HITNRUNXX
+220|6705|Oklahoma City
Damn FEOS, What'd you do to get the Sh1fty mob on you?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6705|Oklahoma City

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its interesting how weapons intended as a last resort to protect lives become tools of oppression pretty quickly.
If you are speaking of pepper spray, I disagree... It was never intended to be a last resort. In Law Enforcement, It was INTENDED to be a non lethal alternative to physical violence that could do permanent damage to suspects and put officers at unnecessary risk. Tazers have replaced a lot of its use, in a lot of departments at this point. Neither of perfect, but result in a lot less injury than fists, nightsticks, and bullets. One day maybe police can set their phasers to stun and be 100% effective and 100% safe.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Awwww. Tumbuddy's upset that his tinfoilhat nonsense keeps getting pwned by facts.
Possibly in your head, in the real world not so much.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6654|BC, Canada

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its interesting how weapons intended as a last resort to protect lives become tools of oppression pretty quickly.
If you are speaking of pepper spray, I disagree... It was never intended to be a last resort. In Law Enforcement, It was INTENDED to be a non lethal alternative to physical violence that could do permanent damage to suspects and put officers at unnecessary risk. Tazers have replaced a lot of its use, in a lot of departments at this point. Neither of perfect, but result in a lot less injury than fists, nightsticks, and bullets. One day maybe police can set their phasers to stun and be 100% effective and 100% safe.
once he was bound, gagged, and nekked, I wonder what kind of a threat he could have been to justify the pepper spray.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
As far as the Police have been concerned physical violence was never been expected to be an initial method of 'controlling' people.
Pepper spray and tasers were intended as alternatives to firearms.
That its now expected that the Police will reach for a pepper spray or tazer and use violence on whoever doesn't obey their 'orders' or answer their questions is disturbing.

Too many cops pumping themselves full of steroids and watching '24' I guess, and society just accepting whatever they do.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

mong? ricky gervais fervently disagrees with you. as does the rest of bf2s, evidently.
It went out of vogue for a reason. I couldn't care less about Ricky Gervais' opinion. His schtick is to be an utter twat. To be as irredeemably offensive to as wide a swath of humanity as possible. So...good show, emulating that.
no his schtick isn't to be offensive at all. the point was language and its usage changes. the word 'mong' has not been used in common speech in a pejorative sense since like the fucking 70's. it's a benign - and goddamn funny - sounding word. a new generation of people using it that have NEVER used it in an insulting way can change the meaning. now stop being a mong about it.
But you ( nor Gervais, for that matter) haven't changed the meaning. Yes, it's a funny sounding word. So are a lot of words we don't use any longer.

And to say Gervais' schtick "isn't to be offensive at all"?  Seriously.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Awwww. Tumbuddy's upset that his tinfoilhat nonsense keeps getting pwned by facts.
The real world is where the facts that kill your tinfoil hat nonsense live, Dilbert. It's the place you seem to eschew when it doesn't fit your latest "America r teh suxorz" rant.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6406|'Murka

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Damn FEOS, What'd you do to get the Sh1fty mob on you?
I challenged Uzique's latest pet rock for the nonsensical, decades-old tripe that it is. He gets pissy when you do that.
― Albert Einstein

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
what are you on about, i'm pissy? i'm completely unbothered, either way, what you think about me exercising your kindly-loaned first amendment. mong.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The real world is where the facts that kill your tinfoil hat nonsense live, Dilbert. It's the place you seem to eschew when it doesn't fit your latest "America r teh suxorz" rant.
Most of your 'facts' are anything but.

I'm sorry you couldn't get a simple sentence right, nothing to do with my tinfoil hat nonsense.
FEOS
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

what are you on about, i'm pissy? i'm completely unbothered, either way, what you think about me exercising your kindly-loaned first amendment. mong.
don't be such a cauc.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most of your 'facts' are anything but.
You haven't been able to dispute a single one of them yet with anything other than "Bush is bad, m'kay". But we've gone far OT...

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm sorry you couldn't get a simple sentence right, nothing to do with my tinfoil hat nonsense.
Especially when it was crystal clear what was meant...you were just being pedantic.
― Albert Einstein

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Your country would still be a monarchy ran by Germans if it wasn't for us
...huh?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6705|Oklahoma City

-Whiteroom- wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

once he was bound, gagged, and nekked, I wonder what kind of a threat he could have been to justify the pepper spray.
Note my use of capitalization on the word "INTENDED."

I was speaking of the INTENDED use of Pepper Spray, not the use in this particular case.

If someone said "Oh that guy got stabbed to death by screwdrivers, a weapon intended as a last resort" I would also challenge that screwdrivers are not even intended as weapons. Doesn't mean people don't get stabbed to death with them.

If someone said "That dude got shot to death with a gun that was intended as a last resort" I would agree... Dude done got shot.

"intended as a last resort" was the topic on my post... Not the issue of whether or not the coppers screwed up royally, which my previous posts pretty much point to my opinion being YES, there was serious screwing up going on here.

So yes, I totally agree with you. I would have a hard time seeing a scenario where this was justified... It is possible though. Maybe he was a wizard, and even after they tied him up and gagged him, he was somehow summoning combatant guinea pigs through sheer force of will, and the only way they could stop him was to break his concentration with a constant stream of holy water, which TURNED INTO pepper spray when it came in contact with his skin.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

You haven't been able to dispute a single one of them yet with anything other than "Bush is bad, m'kay". But we've gone far OT...
LOL OK, whatever you say.
mikkel
+383|6597

HITNRUNXX wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I was speaking of the INTENDED use of Pepper Spray, not the use in this particular case.

If someone said "Oh that guy got stabbed to death by screwdrivers, a weapon intended as a last resort" I would also challenge that screwdrivers are not even intended as weapons. Doesn't mean people don't get stabbed to death with them.

If someone said "That dude got shot to death with a gun that was intended as a last resort" I would agree... Dude done got shot.
Add another layer of abstraction, and you could reasonably argue that physical intervention, and the tools used to carry it out, is a method of last resort. I'd wager that presenting pepper spray and tasers to officers as everyday tools of the trade, rather than weapons of last resort, is responsible for a good deal of the incidents of wholly unwarranted application of force that have been prevalent as of late.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

mikkel wrote:

Add another layer of abstraction, and you could reasonably argue that physical intervention, and the tools used to carry it out, is a method of last resort. I'd wager that presenting pepper spray and tasers to officers as everyday tools of the trade, rather than weapons of last resort, is responsible for a good deal of the incidents of wholly unwarranted application of force that have been prevalent as of late.
They were supposedly never intended as everyday tools.

Police officers don't generally have the right to use even mild force in everyday situations, only when life is in danger.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

HITNRUNXX wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

"intended as a last resort" was the topic on my post... Not the issue of whether or not the coppers screwed up royally, which my previous posts pretty much point to my opinion being YES, there was serious screwing up going on here.

So yes, I totally agree with you. I would have a hard time seeing a scenario where this was justified... It is possible though. Maybe he was a wizard, and even after they tied him up and gagged him, he was somehow summoning combatant guinea pigs through sheer force of will, and the only way they could stop him was to break his concentration with a constant stream of holy water, which TURNED INTO pepper spray when it came in contact with his skin.
I think it would be good to note that these weapons are considered less-lethal, not non-lethal. Whatever happened that made them do this (tempers flaring or whatever) just doesn't suffice as an excuse. The police are supposed to be professionals. This did not represent.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6691|NJ
The funniest thing is just watch cops or that Jail show that is huge in the USA. You get to see this crazy abuse of power on every episode, and we watch it as entertainment. The Days of The Running Man are not far off in this country.
FEOS
+1,182|6406|'Murka

cpt.fass1 wrote:

The funniest thing is just watch cops or that Jail show that is huge in the USA. You get to see this crazy abuse of power on every episode, and we watch it as entertainment. The Days of The Running Man are not far off in this country.
But to be fair, we're not watching the cops for entertainment...we're watching the knuckleheads in the wifebeaters. They're the entertaining ones.
― Albert Einstein

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6691|NJ
I was watching one the other day(I actually hate the show, but will catch it after AOTS), and there was a bar fight were some girls where fighting. The woman cop tried to pull them off and some guy tried to pull her off, the other cop grabbed and grounded the guy. This woman was running around saying I'm going to tase him like 15 times before she finally did and at the time it happened it was unnecessary.
FEOS
+1,182|6406|'Murka

Did he say, "Don't tase me, bro"?
― Albert Einstein

HITNRUNXX
+220|6705|Oklahoma City

mikkel wrote:

I agree that they are not every tools... But they are also far from the last resort.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard