Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Jay wrote:

The only time I read the constitution was in 8th grade when we spent half the fall semester going over it and the bill of rights line by line. I was forced to memorize and recite the preamble too
We did that too. Stuff like that is why the interesting part of history for me ends in 1815. American history and and government is a drag.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
read a lot of the consitution because of my degree and prelaw focus.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
not becuase of the military.
Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

re: number 1- OK br0

I'm signing up for the military, better read the constitution word for word since i'm defending it herp derp.

but mostly no one else reads it, because they aren't defending it
Nice fallacious argument.

I didn't say those who don't defend it don't read it. I said that unlike most, the majority of the military people have read it. That doesn't exclude others who haven't joined the military from having read it, ffs. It just puts those who have bothered to read it in the minority...of which you would be one.

herp fucking derp.
hahaha ok, br0.  I've read the constitution at least 4 times that I can remember.  Go back to talking about jets or something, at least we know you're not ignorant about that topic.
So count yourself in the 28%, then. You're an overachiever.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

i remember in the barracks instead of going out friday nights and partying with women and alcohol we would all gather around somebody's room and recite our favorite parts from the consititution.  the real wild guys would start spouting off from the articles of confederation.  crazy times.
So neither you nor Jay went to PME while you were in?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England
Nope. Never went to BNCOC. Why on earth would they teach the constitution there? Would be a complete waste of time.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
I think its fair to say your perspectives are a bit distorted or you think the officer's experience in the military is similiar to the enlisted?
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

I think its fair to say your perspectives are a bit distorted or you think the officer's experience in the military is similiar to the enlisted?
He's a True Believer. Those only come in officer form.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
nothing about government charters in psyop school either other than briefly discussing executive orders that pertained to what we were doing.  the only time government or the constiution would ever be brought up would be through conversation outside of a professional manner and it would usually always end with someone saying "we're soldiers fuck politics yadda yadda"
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
bracing for the snide remark and condescending tone from feos
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

HudsonFalcon wrote:

FEOS wrote:

HudsonFalcon wrote:

The point is with only half the population paying for 100% of the people, that would be on yet another government run program, how can it be sustainable?
Let's not forget the 9 (or is it 19)% who "pay" a negative tax rate every year...in addition to the 47% who pay no taxes.

"People have to pay their fair share, now..."
People just have to pay.  Whether you're making $4,000 a year or $400,000 you need to pay something if we're going to continue to offer government funded programs.  "Paying their fair share" is Obama rhetoric for crucifying the rich.
I don't think you can have a conversation about taxes and paying in or cashing out without looking at corporate tax rates and overall actual tax rates across all income brackets. That's why I say, "what's your point?" That 47% number is meaningless unless you also address the fact corporations and extremely wealthy individuals are mostly successful in paying as little tax as possible. Everyone tries to pay as little tax as possible...so why focus only on this 47% number without mentioning that?

Not to mention we are just talking about income tax. It virtually impossible to pay 'negative tax' if you buy or sell anything.
HudsonFalcon
+20|5924|New York
That's the problem with talking about universal health care for 360 million people, in order to pay for it you need to adjust the tax code among other things.  A flat tax rate across the brackets would help with our expenses but it's impossible to implement anything in this government because "politics happen."
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

HudsonFalcon wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Let's not forget the 9 (or is it 19)% who "pay" a negative tax rate every year...in addition to the 47% who pay no taxes.

"People have to pay their fair share, now..."
People just have to pay.  Whether you're making $4,000 a year or $400,000 you need to pay something if we're going to continue to offer government funded programs.  "Paying their fair share" is Obama rhetoric for crucifying the rich.
I don't think you can have a conversation about taxes and paying in or cashing out without looking at corporate tax rates and overall actual tax rates across all income brackets. That's why I say, "what's your point?" That 47% number is meaningless unless you also address the fact corporations and extremely wealthy individuals are mostly successful in paying as little tax as possible. Everyone tries to pay as little tax as possible...so why focus only on this 47% number without mentioning that?

Not to mention we are just talking about income tax. It virtually impossible to pay 'negative tax' if you buy or sell anything.
We have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world.

We have one of the most complicated tax codes in the world.

We're only talking about federal taxes.

If you want to get into sales taxes and property taxes and whatnot, you're only helping Hudson's case...because you start lacking about marginal tax rates. Those 47% end up paying even more of the share when you start going down that road, with some paying over 70% in marginal rates when all is said and done.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

nothing about government charters in psyop school either other than briefly discussing executive orders that pertained to what we were doing.  the only time government or the constiution would ever be brought up would be through conversation outside of a professional manner and it would usually always end with someone saying "we're soldiers fuck politics yadda yadda"
I was talking about PME, not specific specialty schools. Didn't know what the Army's version was (thanks Jay). I wouldn't expect it in a specialty school--it's not the right place for it. PME is where they expect you to drink the Kool-Aid again...get "re-blued" or "re-greened", as it were, rather than learn a specific skill set.

Our SEA equivalent has pocket copies in a sleeve on his desk for people to take. I see that all over the place, regardless of location or branch of service. So you see, "true believers" come in all shapes and sizes, Jay.

And I hope that all didn't come across as condescending (that means "talking down to people" <---sorry, couldn't resist). Was just attempting to be as clear as possible.
― Albert Einstein

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

High tax rates perhaps are the reason companies do whatever they can to not pay taxes. There's a huge gap between the 'tax rate' and the actual amount paid. That's probably more an indictment of the complex tax code you mentioned than anything else.

Federal tax isn't confined to income tax. Beyond that I cant really understand your last paragraph
HudsonFalcon
+20|5924|New York
^It's not just companies avoiding the high tax brackets it's wealthy individuals as well.  If there are two things wealthy people are good at it's creating more wealth and protecting it.  That is the problem with this liberal idea of using tax dollars to pay for universal healthcare, the rich will find a loophole and the very poor can't afford to pay a dime.  That leaves the middle class yet again to foot the bill and as a middle class American living in New York I can honestly say that I'm tapped.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

High tax rates perhaps are the reason companies do whatever they can to not pay taxes. There's a huge gap between the 'tax rate' and the actual amount paid. That's probably more an indictment of the complex tax code you mentioned than anything else.

Federal tax isn't confined to income tax. Beyond that I cant really understand your last paragraph
The majority of federal revenues are from individual income and payroll taxes. Most consumption-based taxes are state and/or local.
― Albert Einstein

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

I know
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Well, that's what the last paragraph was talking about.
― Albert Einstein

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

"Lacking about marginal tax rates"..."47% paying more" (when that percentage was reflecting those who don't pay)...

What does it mean?!
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

"Lacking about marginal tax rates"..."47% paying more" (when that percentage was reflecting those who don't pay)...

What does it mean?!
Thank auto-type for that. Should be "talking" not "lacking."

And math in public, I suppose. I meant those who are paying. Understand what's in my head, not what I type.
― Albert Einstein

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
Universal health care would actually make it cheaper for Big companies to operate in the United States, as it would pull away from there benefit cost.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

A bill someone's cousin got from a 4 days stay for falling off of their bike. via reddit
https://i.imgur.com/zZoFP.jpg
The hospital billed him $124 for 500mg of Bacitracin. You can buy half an ounce of the stuff off of Amazon for $2.

It is worth it though since it would be slavery for doctors to have their wages suppressed

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-12-14 14:28:52)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK
lol america
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6382
https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48920000/jpg/_48920759_nik_wallenda_bike_ws_ap.jpg
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard