Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

My tears flow freely for your losses.

Jump on the train son! Chooooochoooooooo
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Fucking IRS....

Dear E*TRADE Customer:

The IRS Form W-8 you previously submitted to certify your foreign tax status has expired as a result of a recent change made to your account.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Macarthur Coal - Up 38% in two months. Sold half. Will see how the Peabody bid goes and may sell the rest. I was pondering whether to buy another tranche of MCC last week, oh well,
Remainder of the portfolio is looking slightly weak, but dividend yields are still healthy and last years trading profit more than balances it out.
Once Mr. Boner signs a deal with the Obama there might be a rebound and I'll review again.

Otherwise, looking back at the last seven years I've done OK.

In US dollar terms I've almost doubled my money through simply leaving it in the bank - bearing in mind the exchange rate - in GB Pounds practically the same. Together with compound interest at an average of 6% (8.5% in the best year) its not been too bad really.

If I could just cut back on the lap-dances I'd have something to show for it all.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13rin
+977|6449
Be conservative, plan for the long haul.  Don't watch the market daily or you will lose.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I know, however 5 years normal return in one day is hard to ignore.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Is anyone investing soon what with the current situation?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
im going heavy into agri-business in somalia and public services in greece atm
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
I'm investing in Japense construction, the next time it happens my shit will be on lockdown.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
I'm looking to invest in the next couple months. Nothing big, just enough to get my feet wet. Had a discussion with a friend who used yesterday's plunge as the reason investing in stocks was a bad idea. Fucking stupid.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

I'm looking to invest in the next couple months. Nothing big, just enough to get my feet wet. Had a discussion with a friend who used yesterday's plunge as the reason investing in stocks was a bad idea. Fucking stupid.
Ha, yesterday would've been the day to buy (at the end of the day obviously). I dunno, haven't been keeping up with it recently.

Oh wow, I lost 13% yesterday. Oh well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Ha, yesterday would've been the day to buy (at the end of the day obviously). I dunno, haven't been keeping up with it recently.

Not sure, it could go further lower, much lower. Depends if the fiscal crises get ironed out or explode.
OTOH There is some reasonable value out there.

I did my accounts for the year, I previously bought and sold Macarthur and made 20% that time.
60% realised in one year on one share isn't bad.

Remainder are down 12% overall, I've been careful to keep a mix of good dividend stocks so I should continue to get a 6-7% return - providing I avoid taking a capital hit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Not sure, it could go further lower, much lower. Depends if the fiscal crises get ironed out or explode.
OTOH There is some reasonable value out there.

I did my accounts for the year, I previously bought and sold Macarthur and made 20% that time.
60% realised in one year on one share isn't bad.

Remainder are down 12% overall, I've been careful to keep a mix of good dividend stocks so I should continue to get a 6-7% return - providing I avoid taking a capital hit.
I'm up 50% overall, which is why I said "Oh well" instead of *&%()*YHGFU(A#Y(&*Y(*&Y@)$*&*)_(UF)
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats very good.
Fortunately I unloaded a bit before the collapse and I have cash to reinvest when I think its hit bottom.
I've been super-careful to ring-fence my share investment funds from the rest so I don't go too nuts, and know if I'm getting a return or not.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
in the UK it seems like the best investment is to pull the fuck out of stocks and shares and just become a property-flipping land/home owner... that's what my grandad has always been in and it has never fails him, bubbles and booms and busts or no. think the average age of a UK first-time buyer now on the property market is like 35, and married/coupled... normally 2x decent earning graduates too, may i add. becoming a nation of temp-contract, mobile renters... great if you're in that lucky class of property-owner, bad if you're in the masses of upcoming graduates/workers that want their place in the world and have nowhere to go.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its been a shitty year for the stock market.

What about next year?

Europe seems screwed, Chinese housing market may implode, USA is barely recovering...

Whats a good investment for the next few years?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

mining companies/anything related to natural resources
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They're high now on the back of Chinese infrastructure development, which could come to a dead stop.
I'm not convinced.

Anything energy related maybe.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oil consumption isn't going anywhere.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

Uzique wrote:

in the UK it seems like the best investment is to pull the fuck out of stocks and shares and just become a property-flipping land/home owner... that's what my grandad has always been in and it has never fails him, bubbles and booms and busts or no. think the average age of a UK first-time buyer now on the property market is like 35, and married/coupled... normally 2x decent earning graduates too, may i add. becoming a nation of temp-contract, mobile renters... great if you're in that lucky class of property-owner, bad if you're in the masses of upcoming graduates/workers that want their place in the world and have nowhere to go.
Same in Norway, but a lot of that is due to tax reasons.. (v. low wealth tax on property).. Even large parts the lower-middle classes have several homes for the different seasons. It's essentially a fail-proof investment - if you need the money again you can almost always sell it for a solid profit. A second home is one of those things people often buy before a nice car.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Biggest problem with property is liquidity and the massive fees involved. It also has comparatively slow growth, but yes for long term investors especially if you can get good tenants in during the interim they are fairly safe.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

DrunkFace wrote:

Biggest problem with property is liquidity and the massive fees involved. It also has comparatively slow growth, but yes for long term investors especially if you can get good tenants in during the interim they are fairly safe.
people who had property in sydney 5 years ago are laughing their asses off to the bank. exchange rate + rise in value = holy fucking shit.

Sydney's values aren't gonna go down for a long time... especially with all that chinese money coming in.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My Portfolio

https://i.imgur.com/blEQl.png

https://i.imgur.com/SgwOx.png

Yes, my biggest stock has the code CBA

Giving a 7.25% dividend yield overall, includes some speculative startups which return nothing right now.
Heavy on financials as they were really hit in the crash, still undervalued IMO, currently netting 10% dividend yield from them.

Probably all wrong, no doubt I'll lose everything and return to laying pavers
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'm sitting at +31% overall. I bought into the GM IPO or I'd be much higher right now. That stock has lost 35% since I bought it
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard