aimless
+166|6096|Texas
I want to get myself a nice mechanical keyboard for Christmas but I cannot make a decision on which switch type to get. I tried visiting numerous computer retailers but the only place that had a mechanical keyboard in stock had a SIIG board with White Alps switches which I heard are susceptible to dirt and dust. Does anyone have a mechanical keyboard and could help shed some light on to which type of switches I should be looking for? I'll be using my keyboard for gaming and typing equally. My budget is ~$100.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada
I have the Razer one with the blue keys. It's good but the blues are noisy. Uzique has one with the browns, which are apparently like the blues but quiet. I would probably go with one of those for my next one. Apparently the blacks are good if you are strictly gaming with it. Probably more than good enough for the average typing someone would do as well.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6283

I have a SteelSeries 6Gv2. Cherry blacks are noisy but damn I love the responsiveness for gaming.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
I don't really understand why they would be preferable for gaming... you only use like 5-6 buttons usually
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
you use like 2 pedals and a steering wheel in a car. i dont understand why a bmw would be preferable to a kia
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

you use like 2 pedals and a steering wheel in a car. i dont understand why a bmw would be preferable to a kia
What a stupid analogy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

uzique is like totes gay for his mechanical keyboard, i'm sure he'll wax lyrical about it

Last edited by Dauntless (2011-12-14 18:11:29)

https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada

Jay wrote:

I don't really understand why they would be preferable for gaming... you only use like 5-6 buttons usually
How would the number of buttons you use make it more preferable? Unless you like your macro keys. Really, what are you getting at here?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Jay wrote:

How would the number of buttons you use make it more preferable? Unless you like your macro keys. Really, what are you getting at here?
I'm not in the thread to argue, I really don't care what keyboard you use. For someone like uzique who spends hours every day typing out thousands of words I can understand spending a little more money. For a gamer it just seems like a completely pointless expense.
-Frederick Bastiat
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada
Well, the same could be said for every component you use when putting together a gaming PC. Some people like quality. A gamer will be hitting those same keys quite a few times. So how would he need lesser quality that someone using the full keyboard. I'm not trying to argue either, it just seemed like a pointless point, like you just wanted to say something negative about it for no apparent reason...
Brasso
+1,549|6601

bugz wrote:

I have a SteelSeries 6Gv2. Cherry blacks are noisy but damn I love the responsiveness for gaming.
i have the 7G which is basically the same thing keyboard. cherry blacks are best for FPS because the actuation point is in the same spot on the way down as the way up, so you can double tap. not that you use doubletapping only in FPS games but whatever, i don't really understand their reasoning. the actuation force is also highest of all the cherry mx switches but you'll get used to it. it just feels solid and sexy to type on.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Microwave
_
+515|6626|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Me and Uzi have the same keyboard - Zowie Celteritas

MX Cherry Brown keys which are supposedly the best allrounders - for typing and gaming. With mx blacks being the 'best' for fps gaming, and mx blues being the 'best' for typing.

Have a look at Filco's, the go-to brand for modern mechanical keyboards.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA
Das Keyboard
This is one of the better ones from what I've heard, but are slightly ($25) over your budget.

Edit: Accuracy

Last edited by TopHat01 (2011-12-14 21:55:55)

Contraz
+13|6366

Microwave wrote:

Have a look at Filco's, the go-to brand for modern mechanical keyboards.
Filco's are also one of the more expensive keyboards although they are apparently great, but maybe a little out of his budget. Das is also good especially if you are a student since you can get a student discount, making them an easy recommendation since their quality would be great for the price you'd be getting them at. http://www.daskeyboard.com/education-discount-program/

One of the cheaper ones is the Steelseries 6gv2 but they have black keys, which would be great for FPS gaming and the like but if you do other things than just game with your computer than it might not be the most comfortable key switch, since they are the heaviest to press. Razer's blackwidow is also one of the cheaper mech keyboards available with blue and brown keyswitches, although their build quality isn't as great as the previously mentioned keyboards but they are a lot cheaper and in your budget.

With your combination of typing and gaming I would recommend the browns which seem to be a good all arounder, blues are also possible to game on but they are more typing oriented apparently. Reds are basically an uber light version of blacks. In the end it comes down to preference since some do fine on any of the switches, but for starters this might help.

I'd say a great place to start would be http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha … oard-guide and http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= … +and+Links

Some long reads maybe but they really help you if you want to know more about mech keyboards and which you'd like to choose.

Last edited by Contraz (2011-12-15 06:35:47)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
correction to james's post: he got my keyboard, at my behest, and it's the zowie celeritas (nice job spelling something wrong when it's underneath your eyeballs).

the mx browns are the way to go for all-round mechanical preference: whether you get a gaming-oriented one (e.g. the zowie) or a typing oriented one (e.g. the das keyboard silents or the filco majestouch's), that's up to you. be aware that the above post saying "blue are the best for gaming" is not correct... they are loud as fuck and their responsiveness makes them best for typing, not gaming. they're used on a lot of gaming keyboards, e.g. the razer offerings, because they're the cheapest to make, and... well yeah. razor and cheap construction, not much more needs to be said.

the blacks are great gaming keys if you're into fps games but are terrible for typing or long sustained use.

avoid reds like the plague.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Contraz
+13|6366

Uzique wrote:

be aware that the above post saying "blue are the best for gaming" is not correct...
If by above post you mean mine, I did not state that anywhere. I think we all seem to agree actually :>
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Jay wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm not in the thread to argue, I really don't care what keyboard you use. For someone like uzique who spends hours every day typing out thousands of words I can understand spending a little more money. For a gamer it just seems like a completely pointless expense.
how is it an unnecessary expense? they cost about 1.5x the price of a shitty generic 'gaming' keyboard, which everyone seems to buy without questioning their 'worth' or 'value'. the keyboard is your most direct and most frequently used part of your entire pc that you interact with: it's literally the conduit between you and your rig. if you have a top gaming pc (i.e. you're a gamer, not a typist), why wouldn't it make sense to stretch the extra $40 for a mechanical keyboard instead of a 'gaming' one? instead of interacting with your top-end machine through a tacky piece of plastic with christmas lights on it, you're using a heavy-weight, solid piece of kit that feels tactile and responsive.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6688|Riva, MD
I might have to switch to one of these from my G15 at some point, that 6Gv2 really does seem pretty cool and I rarely use the screen on this thing anymore anyway, and I've never once tried to use the macro keys
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
the 6gv2 is prolly the cheapest one but it is far from the best. honestly for 15 bucks more you can get a much better keyboard. i don't know why anyone except for maybe a LAN-going fps hardcore nut would actually prefer black keys.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
im still considering one

currently using a standard media keyboard that I was playing BF2 with 5 years ago though, goes to show what you can make do with

I'm sure they'd be really nice, but it's a lot of money for just comfort
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Lipschitz
+1|4497|Upstate New York
I've been leading towards mechanical as well.  I have an old IBM keyboard that I've sworn by for 10+ years but it's starting to show its age.  I'm glad I stumbled across this thread since I was leaning towards a Razer but from what I've read the 6GV2 sounds like a better option.  The keyboard will be for heavy game use so if anyone has any other recommendations/advice I'd like to hear them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

how is it an unnecessary expense? they cost about 1.5x the price of a shitty generic 'gaming' keyboard, which everyone seems to buy without questioning their 'worth' or 'value'. the keyboard is your most direct and most frequently used part of your entire pc that you interact with: it's literally the conduit between you and your rig. if you have a top gaming pc (i.e. you're a gamer, not a typist), why wouldn't it make sense to stretch the extra $40 for a mechanical keyboard instead of a 'gaming' one? instead of interacting with your top-end machine through a tacky piece of plastic with christmas lights on it, you're using a heavy-weight, solid piece of kit that feels tactile and responsive.
You're absolutely right. Spending thousands of dollars on a quickly depreciating top end PC in order to play video games isn't rational in the first place. Why quibble over a few extra dollars?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
well a mechanical keyboard won't ever depreciate, and its lifespan is about 200x that of a regular keyboard. they're robust, and the technology is solid-- it won't be made inferior in 5 years time, this shit has been around since the 1970's, pretty much unchanged. so your point, though facetious, is totally bunk. in a sense, a mechanical keyboard could be the most rational, wise-investment you ever make on pc hardware. it's up there with a good set of speakers and a quality monitor in terms of the use:value ratio.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-15 09:44:34)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

well a mechanical keyboard won't ever depreciate, and its lifespan is about 200x that of a regular keyboard. they're robust, and the technology is solid-- it won't be made inferior in 5 years time, this shit has been around since the 1970's, pretty much unchanged. so your point, though facetious, is totally bunk. in a sense, a mechanical keyboard could be the most rational, wise-investment you ever make on pc hardware. it's up there with a good set of speakers and a quality monitor in terms of the use:value ratio.
No bullshit, that's a good sales pitch I'm sold. In five years when I need a new keyboard I'll look into it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
for a rich engineer stockbroking investor career mastermind you sure are being stingy over $150 bucks

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard