Commie Killer
+192|6387
If you're not interesting in hearing me moan about my upper-middle-class upbringing, skip to the bottom. I included it for background. Re-reading this I realized I used this as my soap box...

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I need to start somewhere. I just turned 20. I've been running a carpentry/lawn service/landscaping business for the past 2 1/4ish years. Been alright. Made like 2 grand after expenses the first year. Made about 45 after expenses last year (not including what I should spend to expand). Had 2 El Salvadorians working for me this season. We we're doing good, finishing up all the projects, had all but 3 of my fall clean ups done and my truck and trailer got fucked up. Broad sided by a dump truck. 30k of uninsured equipment and trailer, got some money for the truck. I told my guys we were done for the season. Gave my last 3 clean ups to a guy a know, and that has been that.

I'm at a crossroads in my life right now, and I have no fucking clue where I want to go. I have a car, 2008 Toyota Matrix, low miles, which I use for my daily driver. I did not purchase a replacement truck as of yet. I have a little chunk of cash saved, and no bills besides car insurance and monthly credit card (I do not carry a balance). I have a 6 figure account that my grandfather saved so I could go to college (this account I have no access too, all college bills go through my mother and she ain't letting me have any control of this account). I have been in college for two years. 1 full semester at Penn State, one 9 credit semester at Penn State's local campus, and one 6 credit semester at community college.

I started off pursuing a Civil Engineering degree. I'm more of a hands on guy but my parents wanted me to get a good degree so I attempted to make them happy. Made it about 3/4 of the semester until I couldn't stand it anymore and stopped going to class except for tests. At the local campus it was the same story. Community college has been business classes that I hoped would impart me with some knowledge... its been pretty much useless.

I'm starting another 6 credit semester at the community college in January. Pretty sure my parents would disown me if I didn't. I'm not living my life the way I want to, I'm not happy, I have no plan, ya-da-fucking-ya-da. College isn't my thing. I know its the smart, sensible thing to do, but I will do nothing but waste more of my savings and my time.

I live on the east coast, one of the things I'd really like to do soon is spend a while driving around the Rockies, the south-western desert, and the northern plain, see the national parks, etc. I've wanted to join the military since I was a kid, just felt like it was part of growing up, but I haven't on account of my family. I've decided in the past couple months that I'm tired of trying to make everyone happy, cause I can't, and the end result is I end up just being unhappy myself. Since I made that decision I've kind of been at a loss as to what to do.

I've considered trying the whole drive around the west thing right now, but replacing aimless wondering in life with aimless wondering around the west seemed like a bad idea, plus I'm under the drinking age so doing it sober would suck. I've considered going back to college, but I know that I'm just gonna flunk myself out. I've considered dumping 40k into the business and starting over, but I'm honestly tired of dealing with rich shit heads that expect me to work for less than expenses. That is why I'm stuck on the military.

If I go, I'd go infantry of engineers. During high school my plan was to join up after graduation, had been training, reading up, etc. Went to college to make my parents happy, but I skipped on the military for a even stupider reason. I'm near sighted to the point that I'd need glasses, I wear contacts, but the military would require glasses. Not something I'm too concerned about any more...

The reason I'm here is I have no clue where to start anymore. I'm hesitant to walk into a recruitment center. Not really sure where to start looking. I never took the ASVAB (skipped school day of). I have a clear criminal record. I'm not in the army to learn a skill or anything. I'm hoping to maybe get my ass kicked enough to be a little more disciplined and maybe have some direction by the time I get out.

So any help would be awesome.

I'm probably gonna walk into a recruitment office next week. Wisdom teeth out on monday so as soon as I can drive.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Military would be a complete waste of time unless your goal is to be coddled and have all of your decisions made for you for the next four years. You don't need money for college. You don't need a way out of the ghetto. You sure as shit aren't joining for patriotism, so the only thing left is hiding from life. You need a swift kick in the ass, not a four year contract.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
what's upper middle class about your background? does it have a very wide definition in the states, or something? or are you just talking yourself up for no reason?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Jay wrote:

Military would be a complete waste of time unless your goal is to be coddled and have all of your decisions made for you for the next four years. You don't need money for college. You don't need a way out of the ghetto. You sure as shit aren't joining for patriotism, so the only thing left is hiding from life. You need a swift kick in the ass, not a four year contract.
Ironically, I actually am joining for patriotism. Not one of those jackasses that thinks America is #1 or something, but I do love my country. I wouldn't mind the chance to blow shit up for 4 years, forced social interaction. Not having to make any decisions? Hiding from life for the moment? I don't feel like I'm gonna make many responsible decisions right now, especially regarding my life.

Yeah all sound like reasons I'm joining.

Swift kick in the ass? Hasn't worked yet.

In my business you really can't make more than 15% profit and still get jobs. Just a over saturated market.

Uzique wrote:

what's upper middle class about your background? does it have a very wide definition in the states, or something? or are you just talking yourself up for no reason?
According to a recent Gallup poll, the majority of Americans consider my family as being "rich".

In general though I was just being sarcastic. We're middle class.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Commie Killer wrote:

Ironically, I actually am joining for patriotism. Not one of those jackasses that thinks America is #1 or something, but I do love my country. I wouldn't mind the chance to blow shit up for 4 years, forced social interaction. Not having to make any decisions? Hiding from life for the moment? I don't feel like I'm gonna make many responsible decisions right now, especially regarding my life.

In my business you really can't make more than 15% profit and still get jobs. Just a over saturated market.
So change businesses? Who in their right mind wants to run a landscaping business for the rest of their life?

Yes, joining the military is running away from life. You'll have sergeants telling you what to eat, when to eat, where to sleep, when to sleep, when you can get off work, how far away from base you can go. Your life will be micromanaged down to the second for you. If this appeals to you then your mom breastfed you for too fucking long. Get off the fucking tit.

Herp derp I wanna blow shit up. Yeah, ok. So you want to join the military so you can spend 364 days a year not blowing shit up. You live in Pennsylvania, go buy some M-80s and blow up some mailboxes.

If you want forced social interaction, go away to school. Get out of your parents basement.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6475|Foothills of S. Carolina

Get a degree in golf course maintenence from the local trade/tech college, go to work at a country club, play golf when you want and get to be hands on. Just my 2 cents.

Not saying you shouldn't join the military, I tried to, but couldnt pass the physical due to eye sight. I did not get a degree from college, which unfortunatly is holding me back from advancing within the company I work for right now because a piece of paper is more important to them than experience, but I digress. I make good enough money for my wife to stay at home and take care of our 4 kids, and pay a bunch of credit bills from when we were young and stupid.

Guess what I am saying is, do what you feel called to do. If it isn't going to college for a piece of paper, then learn a trade or better the trade you have.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

So change businesses? Who in their right mind wants to run a landscaping business for the rest of their life?

Yes, joining the military is running away from life. You'll have sergeants telling you what to eat, when to eat, where to sleep, when to sleep, when you can get off work, how far away from base you can go. Your life will be micromanaged down to the second for you. If this appeals to you then your mom breastfed you for too fucking long. Get off the fucking tit.

Herp derp I wanna blow shit up. Yeah, ok. So you want to join the military so you can spend 364 days a year not blowing shit up. You live in Pennsylvania, go buy some M-80s and blow up some mailboxes.

If you want forced social interaction, go away to school. Get out of your parents basement.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Jay wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Ok. Reasonable. I just have no other goals. Its not like I look at this as a career path. Go to fucking school? Sure I could go get into somewhere else but I'm just gonna flunk my lazy ass out. Change business? Into what? The only reason I do what I do is I enjoy it.

I don't enjoy being told what to do, in fact I hate it, I'm a spiteful S.O.B.

Look my only goal is to use this as a hold over. I don't want to be that jack ass thats still riding a mower around at 60, and I don't have the skills to build a business where that isn't necessary. I don't want to waste more fucking money at school.

Blowing shit up was another sarcastic comment. I'm sorry, it doesn't translate. Why join, besides for my pathetic running away from life reasons? The feeling that I might actually be doing something, working towards something, fighting for something. A part of something bigger than my lame ass life. I've been down hill for a couple years now. Figure I need something, college isn't working.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Join military
Get discipline/motivation to not be in military
Go to college
Profit

20 is plenty young enough.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-12-09 19:45:38)

Commie Killer
+192|6387

Canin wrote:

Get a degree in golf course maintenence from the local trade/tech college, go to work at a country club, play golf when you want and get to be hands on. Just my 2 cents.

Not saying you shouldn't join the military, I tried to, but couldnt pass the physical due to eye sight. I did not get a degree from college, which unfortunatly is holding me back from advancing within the company I work for right now because a piece of paper is more important to them than experience, but I digress. I make good enough money for my wife to stay at home and take care of our 4 kids, and pay a bunch of credit bills from when we were young and stupid.

Guess what I am saying is, do what you feel called to do. If it isn't going to college for a piece of paper, then learn a trade or better the trade you have.
I realize that if I want to work in a office, I need a degree. I could go to school like Jay, but honestly, I don't want that life. I'm pretty sure I don't want to work in a office.

I have the physical skills for the military, but yeah, my eye sight is not good. I'm gonna be wearing glasses.

I have skills. I can form a basement, frame a house, weather proof, brick and motar, wire, plumb, finish, build cabinets. I'm damn good at it. Its something I enjoy doing part time, not full time. Its probably the only hobby I have, and luckily it pays.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Dilbert_X wrote:

Join military
Get discipline/motivation to not be in military
Go to college
Profit

20 is plenty young enough.
Yeah the general idea was to force myself to realize how life sucks without a degree and therefore do something.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Commie Killer wrote:

Jay wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Ok. Reasonable. I just have no other goals. Its not like I look at this as a career path. Go to fucking school? Sure I could go get into somewhere else but I'm just gonna flunk my lazy ass out. Change business? Into what? The only reason I do what I do is I enjoy it.

I don't enjoy being told what to do, in fact I hate it, I'm a spiteful S.O.B.

Look my only goal is to use this as a hold over. I don't want to be that jack ass thats still riding a mower around at 60, and I don't have the skills to build a business where that isn't necessary. I don't want to waste more fucking money at school.

Blowing shit up was another sarcastic comment. I'm sorry, it doesn't translate. Why join, besides for my pathetic running away from life reasons? The feeling that I might actually be doing something, working towards something, fighting for something. A part of something bigger than my lame ass life. I've been down hill for a couple years now. Figure I need something, college isn't working.
I had a lot of the same feelings before I joined, and I gotta tell you, from the first minute I arrived at basic training I knew I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. I didn't belong. I was over-educated and over-motivated to ever function properly as enlisted. I was miserable, and for much of my four years, I spent my time holed up in my barracks room playing video games and pretty much hating life 24/7. Unless you feel like you can carry on conversation with ex-junkies, ex-drug dealers, high school dropouts, and the ghettofabulous, you're going to be just as miserable.

If you want to join the military, and you are from the background you say you are, join a ROTC program. You get some of the discipline with none of the commitment.
-Frederick Bastiat
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6475|Foothills of S. Carolina

Commie Killer wrote:

Canin wrote:

I realize that if I want to work in a office, I need a degree. I could go to school like Jay, but honestly, I don't want that life. I'm pretty sure I don't want to work in a office.

I have the physical skills for the military, but yeah, my eye sight is not good. I'm gonna be wearing glasses.

I have skills. I can form a basement, frame a house, weather proof, brick and motar, wire, plumb, finish, build cabinets. I'm damn good at it. Its something I enjoy doing part time, not full time. Its probably the only hobby I have, and luckily it pays.
I don't have an office job either, I fix equipment used in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Hands on stuff, and I dabble in PCs on the side.

If you have the ability and skills to do all those things you listed, why not get a contractors license and make good money doing something you enjoy?
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Canin wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Canin wrote:

I don't have an office job either, I fix equipment used in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Hands on stuff, and I dabble in PCs on the side.

If you have the ability and skills to do all those things you listed, why not get a contractors license and make good money doing something you enjoy?
Generally the same reason as everything else. Lazy. Tired of dealing with pricks who want stuff done for less than expenses, etc. I was doing a lot of that stuff. We finished 7 basements off the past 2 years (one crazy bastard had us put in a ice rink, climate controlled, real ice, the works). Few decks, redid a kitchen, couple baths.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Commie Killer wrote:

Generally the same reason as everything else. Lazy. Tired of dealing with pricks who want stuff done for less than expenses, etc. I was doing a lot of that stuff. We finished 7 basements off the past 2 years (one crazy bastard had us put in a ice rink, climate controlled, real ice, the works). Few decks, redid a kitchen, couple baths.
I did a fair bit of construction, its fun while you're young, but you don't want to be doing it for decades.
Its dangerous, one simple injury and you have to find a new career - better to find it while you're young.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Jay wrote:

I had a lot of the same feelings before I joined, and I gotta tell you, from the first minute I arrived at basic training I knew I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. I didn't belong. I was over-educated and over-motivated to ever function properly as enlisted. I was miserable, and for much of my four years, I spent my time holed up in my barracks room playing video games and pretty much hating life 24/7. Unless you feel like you can carry on conversation with ex-junkies, ex-drug dealers, high school dropouts, and the ghettofabulous, you're going to be just as miserable.

If you want to join the military, and you are from the background you say you are, join a ROTC program. You get some of the discipline with none of the commitment.
OK thank you. That helps. I feel I'd probably be the same way but I hoped I'd get lucky, find someone in the same boat, or get thrown into enough combat that I would be able to avoid dealing with that shit. I'm over-educated and aggressive as hell, I don't feel like I belong in the ranks either but its one of those things. I stayed away from ROTC because of the college requirements. I considered joining up as enlisted and trying to get into OCS as soon as possible.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Dilbert_X wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

I did a fair bit of construction, its fun while you're young, but you don't want to be doing it for decades.
Its dangerous, one simple injury and you have to find a new career - better to find it while you're young.
Yeah I have a uncle that does it. He'd probably be pretty successful but he sucks with money. Landscaping and carpentry are both things I don't want to do for my life. I enjoy them, and I'd like to do them at my house, but that's the extent of it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Commie Killer wrote:

Jay wrote:

OK thank you. That helps. I feel I'd probably be the same way but I hoped I'd get lucky, find someone in the same boat, or get thrown into enough combat that I would be able to avoid dealing with that shit. I'm over-educated and aggressive as hell, I don't feel like I belong in the ranks either but its one of those things. I stayed away from ROTC because of the college requirements. I considered joining up as enlisted and trying to get into OCS as soon as possible.
They won't take you. You have no life experience. The only way to become an officer is to complete a four year degree, or have about ten years of job experience.

I'm telling you, unless you feel like you can be comfortable living in the worst parts of Philly without wanting to kill yourself, do not join the military. I repeat. Do not join the military.
-Frederick Bastiat
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Yeah but what else. It still seems like the best choice. I could waste more money flunking outta college. I could dump money into a business that I really don't want to be a part of. I can do more than a technical school (and in all honesty I'd be talking to the same people I would in the ranks).

I could go for a more demanding MOS. Gung-ho idiots in the rangers, or possibly intelligent people in the engineers.

EDIT:

I gotta go to sleep. Diner at 6. Dishwasher... I can't just sit around and do nothing so I do this...

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-12-09 20:11:58)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

why don't you change your academic focus and pursue something in college that interests you?  Just bang out gen. ed requirements then pick a field of study.  If you were working and going to school you're obviously somewhat motivated.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

why don't you change your academic focus and pursue something in college that interests you?  Just bang out gen. ed requirements then pick a field of study.  If you were working and going to school you're obviously somewhat motivated.
I've been throwing ideas around in my head for a year now. Nothing's peaked my interest. Probably just haven't found it yet. I am motivated, I just have a lack of direction. I enjoy working, I enjoy a struggle. I gave up on gen-eds when I felt I wasn't working towards anything. If I had a goal that I actually wanted, not one that someone else wanted for me, I feel I'd probably do pretty good, just haven't found it yet.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Commie Killer wrote:

Yeah but what else. It still seems like the best choice. I could waste more money flunking outta college. I could dump money into a business that I really don't want to be a part of. I can do more than a technical school (and in all honesty I'd be talking to the same people I would in the ranks).

I could go for a more demanding MOS. Gung-ho idiots in the rangers, or possibly intelligent people in the engineers.

EDIT:

I gotta go to sleep. Diner at 6. Dishwasher... I can't just sit around and do nothing so I do this...
Military engineers are not like civilian engineers. Military engineers are the guys out in front of the infantry clearing minefields and setting up bridges. They don't build buildings, that's what civilian contractors are for.

What else? How about this: smart people do not stay in the military. Even moderately intelligent people do not stay in the military. The people that re-enlist are the people that have nothing else going on in their life: they married and had kids too young, or they're from bumfuck nowhere and have nothing else going on, or they're too dumb to hold down a civilian job. Regardless, these are the people that become sergeants. The military generally starts off with the scraps of society, and it's these scraps of scraps that become the leaders you'd have to deal with every day. Do you know how disheartening it is to have to listen to complete morons tell you what to do every day? There's a reason the phrase 'respect the rank, not the person' is repeated like a mantra on a daily basis.

Here's a story for you. My first sergeant was cheating on his wife with one of the females in the office, and he didn't want to go home. Ever. This asshole would keep us in formation until 6:55 pm every night just because. The only reason he didn't keep us longer was because the dining facility closed at 7 pm and he'd get in trouble if we missed dinner. I dealt with that shit for two fucking years. One miserable power tripping asshole fucking up the lives of the hundred soldiers he was supposed to be leading. This wasn't considered abnormal.

If you want to sign up, go ahead. It's your life. If I can prevent one person from making the same dumb mistake I made, I'll have done my job.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Commie Killer wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I've been throwing ideas around in my head for a year now. Nothing's peaked my interest. Probably just haven't found it yet. I am motivated, I just have a lack of direction. I enjoy working, I enjoy a struggle. I gave up on gen-eds when I felt I wasn't working towards anything. If I had a goal that I actually wanted, not one that someone else wanted for me, I feel I'd probably do pretty good, just haven't found it yet.
You probably just need to overload yourself with classes so you can't say 'ahh, I just have one class today, fuck it I'm not going'. A schedule with huge gaps does the same thing. The biggest thing that will keep you going to class is really the simplest thing of all though: make friends with your classmates.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
btw, is this hurricanes new troll account or what?
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Skimmed through most of the OP. I'd recommend moving somewhere else (maybe to a place you want to visit) and start up a new business. Or just start up another business where you are now. Plenty of successful businessmen have had worse setbacks than that.

If you still want to join the military, there's no harm in simply walking into recruitment and finding out what your prospects are. Sometimes you can bump up your initial rank depending on what you've done in the past. But you don't need "tough love." You need a job.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard