scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6637|Wigan. Manchester. England.
evening guys!

looks like I'm turning back to the dark side ! Or going back to the light side?

anyway, can't stand Xbox anymore and miss my pc and you guiz etc.

soooo, I want to build a new rig, want to spend little as poss, but not too cheap, around 700 quid?

would love your opinions on what to choose!1

much love

yours

anonymous
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
Just pick up some 8GB dual channel RAM to go with the i5 2500k...
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6684|West Yorkshire, U.K
new build ladiesss!!

Good start.
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
yup.

thanks for the response fin.

would like to ask, was lookin at the z68 boards, much difference?

also, the gpu, always been a GeForce man,looking at the 560ti, would like to hit high/ultra settings. Should I consider the 6950?
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
oh and lil baba Jesus, thanks, more likely will get 8 gb xx
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

scottomus0 wrote:

yup.

also, the gpu, always been a GeForce man,looking at the 560ti, would like to hit high/ultra settings. Should I consider the 6950?
Get Z68 if you want to SSD cache. Otherwise, P68 is fine. Finray's choices are good with the exception of the triple-channel memory. Get dual-channel (a 2x stick kit). 8GB should be fine, but you can easily grab four 4GB sticks for not much more.

For CPU coolers, I grabbed the Prolimatech Megahelms, but the Kingston Hyper 212 is much cheaper and still better than stock.

For your 6950 question: link

It's all about how much you want to spend for what kind of performance.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

scottomus0 wrote:

yup.

Get Z68 if you want to SSD cache. Otherwise, P68 is fine. Finray's choices are good with the exception of the triple-channel memory. Get dual-channel (a 2x stick kit). 8GB should be fine, but you can easily grab four 4GB sticks for not much more.

For CPU coolers, I grabbed the Prolimatech Megahelms, but the Kingston Hyper 212 is much cheaper and still better than stock.

For your 6950 question: link

It's all about how much you want to spend for what kind of performance.
Elaborate SSD chaching please :3

Does it just use a partition of the SSD for artificial RAM or something like that?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Say you got Windows installed on a high-capacity hard drive, but it's still a slow old 7200. Well you can connect a SSD drive to that Z68 computer and use SSD caching to run what it determines to be your most used stuff on up to 64GB of an actual SSD.

You can find plenty of reviews on real-world benefits. I can't use mine because Windows 7 is installed to my SSD, so I'm stuck running my Steam apps exclusively on my 3TB drive.
FloppY_
­

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Say you got Windows installed on a high-capacity hard drive, but it's still a slow old 7200. Well you can connect a SSD drive to that Z68 computer and use SSD caching to run what it determines to be your most used stuff on up to 64GB of an actual SSD.

You can find plenty of reviews on real-world benefits. I can't use mine because Windows 7 is installed to my SSD, so I'm stuck running my Steam apps exclusively on my 3TB drive.
Oh ok...

If Steam would just allow custom directories for individual games I don't see the average user having much need for it?

Aren't 120GB SSDs getting reasonable now?
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
wtf fin..triple channel?

ban
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
hexify
+5|5350|Canada
There's really no point going P67 at this point. Z68 carries the features of both P67 and H67. SSD caching is just one of the additional features.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/eb8872cebb08c046204abcc26a2b5cc159f8e98c.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Finray's choices are good with the exception of the triple-channel memory..
I'm an idiot.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5965|London, England

scottomus0 wrote:

anonymous
wat
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
hmm don't know what that is ^^

thanks for the input so far. There's quite a few z68's ranging from 80 to 200+ quid!

which is best bang for buck?
FloppY_
­
If you want quality I'd say go for ASUS. EVGA and Gigabyte should be very good aswell but I've never owned one myself...
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
I was very pleasantly surprised by ASRock actually. I've always used ASUS boards, but I did a z68 build for a friend recently and used a ASRock z68 Extreme 4. It is a pretty amazing board considering it only cost $185 (a comparable ASUS board costs $310). Might use ASRock for my next build actually.
FloppY_
­
Just whatever you do STAY AWAY from club3D... I adviced against buying GPU's from them once and it was ignored, when the cards arrived they wouldn't work without the old drivers that came with them and even then the screen flickers constantly...

This was 3 seperate cards and they all had the same issues...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-11-28 13:30:46)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I was very pleasantly surprised by ASRock actually. I've always used ASUS boards, but I did a z68 build for a friend recently and used a ASRock z68 Extreme 4. It is a pretty amazing board considering it only cost $185 (a comparable ASUS board costs $310). Might use ASRock for my next build actually.
I thought ASRock were a budget spin off series of ASUS stuff...

I think they were just the ASUS budget range and then split to be a different company.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

Bertster7 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I thought ASRock were a budget spin off series of ASUS stuff...

I think they were just the ASUS budget range and then split to be a different company.
Yeah I always had the impression that ASRock were cheap and dodgy (probably used to be true), but this mobo had great features and the construction itself seemed good quality. I was impressed, I certainly wouldn't rule them out just on brand name anymore...
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
I can recommend ASUS, they have a great reputation, I have a P5Q that hasn't set a foot wrong since I got it.
FloppY_
­

Finray wrote:

I can recommend ASUS, they have a great reputation, I have a P5Q that hasn't set a foot wrong since I got it.
Ditto

I think my RAM are shot tho'... lol
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4968|Dundee, Scotland.

scottomus0 wrote:

thanks for the input so far. There's quite a few z68's ranging from 80 to 200+ quid!

only get a z68 board if you're planning on buying an ssd now/in the future.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

Camm wrote:

scottomus0 wrote:

only get a z68 board if you're planning on buying an ssd now/in the future.
Or if you want overclocking and can get it for a similar price to a P67 board.
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
yeah I plan on getting an SSD with this build due to prices...

and most certainly will be overclocking everything possible!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard