FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

OP: Unless you've improved your base knowledge massively, I'd have someone else or a company build it if you're on a budget.

jsnipy wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Isn't the Nvidia 6xx series and AMD 7xxx series just around the corner?
something is always "just around the corner"
This. 2011 was just around the corner when I built my 2600K PC in Aug '11. I can tell you it wasn't worth missing out just to wait for the greatest thing ever.
It's still a rotten feeling if you bought the current version if the new equivalent of the 8800GTX comes out the next month......

Of course that big a jump in performance and that lifespan isn't exactly common in GPUs.
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Sorry I haven't got on. Found a couple deals which enabled me to get a case, psu, and monitor for 1150.

Just too make sure I don't need a CPU cooler right? I won't over clock.

I'm doing a full build (minus keyboard, mouse, and speakers). Just want to make sure I have everything here:

120GB SSD
Windows
Intel i5
Z68 mobo
2x4GB of DDR3 1600 RAM
600W PSU (the calculator said I needed something in the low 500's so I figured go with a little extra to be safe)
nVidia 560ti
23in ACER monitor
Case
DVD drive

That's it right?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
Oui, c'est.

The CPU will come with a cooler. Kinda sucks but it's fine for standard clocks.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Commie Killer
+192|6387
awesome. I used to overclock my P4 5 years ago, but I think I'm too retarded to attempt it now.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
It's only gotten easier, really.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Finray wrote:

It's only gotten easier, really.
Might attempt over clocking in the future. I'll have to buy extra fans and what not but I might get an extra year or two outta it.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Yeah you're not really gonna need it right now, the i5 is a great CPU and will do you well for a good while.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

OP: If you want to send insulting karma, don't expect people to feel inclined to help.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

OP: If you want to send insulting karma, don't expect people to feel inclined to help.
I was asking for help originally, not insults. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Finray wrote:

Yeah you're not really gonna need it right now, the i5 is a great CPU and will do you well for a good while.
Good to know. I've been happy with my Q6600 so I'm glad I'm getting another quality product.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
tbh the i5 2500k is basically the new Q6600. Reasonable price for great performance.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
What about the 560ti? Similar to my old 8800 512?

In essence still awesome?

In other news my CPU sold out before I purchased, recomendations? Trying to purchase tonight before some of the deals end.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819115073

Thats what I'm looking at. Difference is the one I wanted was 10 bucks cheaper and had the HD Graphics 3000.

Go with this?

Any experience with how long it takes to get back in stock? My monitor jumps 70$ after 11/27.

I'd rather not but should I go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 11_listing

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-11-25 13:35:33)

Commie Killer
+192|6387
That i7 comes with a $20 gift card. Anyone know if I could apply that too this purchase? I'm starting to think that might be the way to go.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Commie Killer wrote:

That i7 comes with a $20 gift card. Anyone know if I could apply that too this purchase? I'm starting to think that might be the way to go.
Buy the i7 first? unless ofc. shipping is expensive....
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Yeah I get the card 4 days after purchase... W/e. I'll probably do it. Carts up to 1200 now. Can knock out about 175 of that with rebates, assuming I get them. Shipping is free on it. Only paying 4.99 shipping for all of it.

Only thing left to decide is this PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817341048

I went with it cause I got a free DVD burner with it, for the same price as my last 650W in the cart. Any one have experience?

Also, on that i7 the reviews say the cooler is crap even for no overclocking. Spend the money on fan and whatnot?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4968|Dundee, Scotland.
PSU-wise I would go with corsair.

Last edited by Camm (2011-11-26 02:35:20)

for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6475|Foothills of S. Carolina

I got this one back in 2009 and have not had any problems with it. I have had more issues with Antecs going out than any of them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817341018
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Went with the Corsair and standard heat sink. Ordered. Spent a extra 250 cause I waited too long. Good news is I don't think I have to use thermal paste this time around.

Thank you to everyone for all the help.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Commie Killer wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I was asking for help originally, not insults. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
And I was being honest about thinking you should go with techshop-built or pre-built if you haven't improved your knowledge base considerably. PC bulding can be one of those intuitive things where some people would never apply thermal paste to the underside of their CPU.

Though it's massive and pedantic, this book [Upgrading and Repairing PCs (20th Edition)] can really help as a supplement to web tutorials.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
I can frame, wire, plumb, roof, brick, and finish a house. I can rebuild a car engine. I believe I have an innate mechanical ability.

There is a difference between being stupid and making a stupid mistake. I believe most people in this thread realized that.

When I believe I can't do something I will freely admit it. I approach every situation with perpetual self-doubt.

As should be evident from the first post in my thermal paste thread, I quickly realized my mistake. I was very excited that I had received all the parts and quickly went about assembling it. I was not thinking clearly. When I built that computer (16), computer games were a huge part of my life. I've learned since then that the more emotional you are about something the more likely you are too fail.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-11-26 18:21:03)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
You generally only ever make a mistake like that once

Should make you triple check everything next time lol.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-11-26 18:22:27)

Commie Killer
+192|6387

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

You generally only ever make a mistake like that once

Should make you triple check everything next time lol.
I must of checked that list to make sure I had all the parts 20 times. I'll be sure I triple check this stuff at least.

Ever hear the old adage "measure twice, cut once"? I used to make mistakes a bunch, started following one that said measure 5 times, go mark the board, then measure again, then cut.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-11-26 18:40:31)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
I prefer the age old adage "fap on it".
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4554|Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Finray wrote:

I prefer the age old adage "fap on it".
you have no choice
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?