Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

I'm always adverse to paying subscription fees. With this one I decided to see if it was good over the initial free month they give you, figuring that if it kept my interest up for that long and no longer it'd still have done better than a lot of the games I've played. So far I'm not disappointed, I'm really having a blast with it. Whether I'll continue my subscription when I have to pay for it? Not sure. Depends, I guess, on whether I see the developer put what I deem to be enough effort in to keep it fresh and playable.

Gotta say with subscription fees, they seem to fuck you if you're not paying in either Euro or USD. Take Australia for example, the subscription fee for Australia is 30% more than the US subscription fee, this is despite the AUD being pretty much equal with the USD, (in fact recently the AUD has been trading higher more often than not,) adding to this the fact that there aren't any servers located anywhere else but Europe and the US... I mean I like the game but that's still a dick move.

I'm level 30 at the moment, villain. The game is fully-voiced from 1-30 and I haven't noticed any voice-acting lapses since finishing what I guess would be called the main story arc. I'm kind of just putting myself out as a bounty-hunter for hire at the moment, when I get into the whole MMO of this RPG I'll tackle the harder post-30 missions.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
I also hit 30 last wednesday and so far I'm still very pleased with my purchase. I havent really gotten into the hardcore end-game experience, but Im not a hurry to explore all that. So far I've done some hard alerts and a bit of PvP and both seem to work just fine, although the party system can be abit of bitch at some times, but I assume that they'll fix that later. But i am a little worried that for the real harcore players with there supergroups and stuff, there won't be enough end game content to last another month. But I'm still having a blast with this game
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Quieted down in here. This game still treating people right?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
Yeah, although i must say that the endgame content is a little low, but theyre adding more soon and i assum ethey will keep adding stuff.
But lets just say that if youre not in a supergroup or play with friends, its more fun lvl an alt than the endgame content
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm afraid I'd level an alt for each 'mentor' there was.

With Disney now in charge, I don't have much hope for a Marvel MMO, but the universe is varied and populated enough to be potentially excellent. So I got to thinking about which characters Marvel would use for these roles. Doesn't really deserve its own thread, since it's just a train-of-thought TL;DR, but here it is (along with other concepts), jotted down as if I actually had a say in it (and if I wanted to shamelessly copy DCU Online):

Marvel Universe Online ('fan' roughdraft) -un13 wrote:

==========

Race

Choices: Human, Mutant
(go away, alien lovers)

==========

Level Progression:

Setting maxlevel at 40 for a working base...

Human - "Neverwinter Nights" style; select one class and either continue specializing in it, or switch to another.
(endgame result examples: strength (40); agility (20), tech (20); strength (20), agility (5), agility (5)

Mutant - 20 slots are reserved for whatever you set your mutation to be in the character creation process. for the rest, you get a choice between tech, agility or a combination of both

==========

Mentor Type [Class] - Description:

Strength [Warrior] - Super strength, speed, etc.; go punch stuff
Tech [Engineer] - Powers granted by your own contraptions
Agility [Rogue] - Espionage and unaugmented martial arts
Magic [Mage] - You're a wizard, 'arry
Divine [Priest] - Special powers and/or abilities are granted by a god; artifact-based, powerful but with the drawback of easy counters

Mutation [non-class] - Preset powers determined in character creation and developed through character leveling

(note - magic and divine can easily be relegated to updates or expansion packs to narrow the focus of a vanilla release)

==========

Class Combo Restrictions (balance attempt)

Human - may not expand into mutation, must choose another class to start with
Strength - may not expand into magic or divine
Tech - may not expand into magic
Agility - unrestricted
Magic - may not expand into divine, tech or strength
Divine - may not expand into strength or magic
Mutant (race) - may not expand into strength, magic or divine; may begin developing secondary class as soon as an investment point becomes available

==========

And for the mentors themselves. I tried to choose characters that aren't two overpowered (in their regularly-seen states), who are reasonably well-known and who can actually be communicated with...also matching hero and villain by power (as in DCUO) rather than tradition (as in most Marvel face-offs).

Mentor TypeHeroesVillainsNotes
StrengthMs. MarvelIt's been said that Marvel needs to expand on its powerful female leads. DC has Catwoman and Wonder Woman, so it makes sense that Ms. Marvel be given a spotlight position, but that's just me. But to be perfectly honest, I have NO idea who would play her opposite, and I've even looked characters up. Apocalypse is too strong (like, endgame strong), Omega Red is too weak, Venom is too random (and doesn't really seem to fit in) and most of Marvel's other male 'warrior' archetypes are heroes.

I could always cite lack of confidence, drop Danvers as a likely mentor and put Spiderman and the Green Goblin (super-soldier version) up there instead to satisfy the inevitable "WHERE'S SPIDEY" complaints. Maybe Ms. Marvel and Venom? Hmm...help?
TechIronmanDoctor OctopusI haven't read or heard anything about this possible conflict, but it looks perfect. Two super-geniuses, both full of themselves and completely augmented by their own technology...yet somehow being at moral odds with one another. Another option for the villain would be Trask and his Sentinels.
AgilityWolverineMystiqueEven though Mystique is a mutant, her skill is her own, despite the ability to shapeshift. My first choice for the 'good guy' was Elektra, but Wolverine seemed to fit better, not only because of his regular confrontations with Mystique, but because he's frequently depicted leading what amounts to Xavier's black ops missions. Spiderman's fine and all, but 'spidey-senses' kind of seem like cheating. Besides which, isn't Marvel keeping him emo for now?

Also, it might seem a bit odd to use Wolverine when Xavier's listed, but just as Mystique doesn't always fall under the direct authority of Magneto, neither does Wolverine always follow Chuck's rules.
MagicDoctor StrangeDoctor DoomNobody seems able to agree on who would come out on top, Doctor Doom seems the sort who couldn't abide in the concept of any Sorcerer Supreme but himself.
DivineThorLokiI'm honestly not too big a fan of this, but chances are that a Marvel game would include these two somehow, due to the movie.
MutationProfessor XavierMagnetoThe perfect match, opening the game to a number of X-Men & supporting character-related missions.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
I think a marvel MMo would be cool, but it just wouldnt work location wise. DC has its own unique cities (gotham metropolis). Marvel doesnt really have this as much as DC. Sure they have the X-men school/house and Valhalla, but they arent very practical to use and a lot of Marvel heroes are in real cities (Spiderman in NYC for example) and building a real city in an MMo just wouldnt work.

i like how the class system is made in your post though
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You're right about real cities being difficult to emulate, but a lot of their 'real' cities are marred with fictional landmarks, such as the Daily Bugle, Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, the Baxter Building, OsCorp and Stark Tower in NYC alone, so I'm sure a reasonable facsimile could be reached. Of course, the MMO would probably have its own reality # attached to it like everything else Marvel does, which should make further distortions even easier to pull off.

Then there's a ton of fictional places and other locations to choose from:
  • Avengers HQ & helicarrier
  • secret or public prisons for mutants and superhumans (a free Juggernaut / recapture him mission sound good?)
  • Weapon X ruins, mobile HYDRA facilities and stretches of Canadian wilderness if you're unfortunate enough to be under Wolverine's tutelage
  • more stretches of landscape, for that matter; please don't make Bruce Banner angry
  • S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff
  • Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, misc. X-Men HQ stuff and whatever Brotherhood HQ incarnation they'd decide on (fight back and forth on either side, or together against human aggression...OR get your ass kicked trying to take out Rogue during one of her psychotic tons-of-powers-manifesting episodes)
  • the island Kingdom of Genosha (fight off Sentinels alongside Magneto)
  • Asteroid M
  • the Savage Land
  • Dr. Doom's digs in Latveria
  • Apocalypse's stuff in Egypt, Central America, Tibet, etc.
  • Mr. Sinister's evil science stuff; including a possible reclass (sort of like death knight for paladin) for mutants who want to join Apocalypse, if the story goes there
  • Atlantis
  • the nation of Wakanda
  • even the dimension Nightcrawler uses when he teleports could be a reasonable location
  • etc.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
Yeah sure theres lots of locations but theyre hard to realise in a game and its especially hard to fit em together. they havent fitted em together in DC so they could do the same in marvel universe like travelling through a central HUB (the watchtower, the avenger HQ for marvel perhaps?). You could have two big locations like in DC and i think a lot of small location would get annoying.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
I dont want to be too negative, i think it could work. But not now, because it would split up all the comic fans and a good MMO needs all the users it can get considering the stiff competition
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Well, there's always the helicarrier, the X-Jet(s), one of Magneto's spheres or even some sort of implemented personal transport system. Marvel tough guys like motorcycles. I've seen the Brotherhood use jeeps and humvees. Actually being able to cruise around the city or countryside would be pretty awesome.

What could tie these places in with a convenient teleportation mechanic that still makes sense is 'damaged technology seized from one of Apocalypse's pyramids and reworked by both sides.' OR you could just give players the ability to map travel to one of the hubs at any time if they want.

Kampframmer wrote:

I dont want to be too negative, i think it could work. But not now, because it would split up all the comic fans and a good MMO needs all the users it can get considering the stiff competition
Not really negative at all. This would be an inopportune moment to suddenly announce another comic book MMO. I'm merely fantasizing. (e: knowing Disney though, they'd merely clone Super Hero Squad and hope the Marvel fans eat it up).
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's been said that Marvel needs to expand on its powerful female leads. DC has Catwoman and Wonder Woman, so it makes sense that Ms. Marvel be given a spotlight position, but that's just me. But to be perfectly honest, I have NO idea who would play her opposite, and I've even looked characters up. Apocalypse is too strong (like, endgame strong), Omega Red is too weak, Venom is too random (and doesn't really seem to fit in) and most of Marvel's other male 'warrior' archetypes are heroes.

I could always cite lack of confidence, drop Danvers as a likely mentor and put Spiderman and the Green Goblin (super-soldier version) up there instead to satisfy the inevitable "WHERE'S SPIDEY" complaints. Maybe Ms. Marvel and Venom? Hmm...help?
Why not Juggernaut?

Also, I'd have thought Spiderman a far better option for agility than Wolverinel....
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i've been watching this game from afar, skeptical as always... subscribed to a few dedicated youtube channels that regularly/daily update with content. the game just doesn't look very good. it's trying to do too many things: pandering to too many genres/gamestyles; integrating too many features and ideas from disparate sources/titles; way too much variation and mad ideas to ever achieve a semblance of real competitive balance or fairness... don't get me wrong, it looks very entertaining and a great load of fun - especially with the hacknslash style combat - but i just don't see how it can make a quality MMO.

i think once the 'new MMO' enthusiasm and fanboy bandwagon (i.e. comic book nerds flooding to it) has died down/wore off... this game will make a quick exit to the MMO graveyard with all the other big-financed, big-idea titles. it's such a shame that nobody can quite carry off such a 'big' idea nowadays. i would love to see an urban/modern-setting MMO but i just don't think the premise works on basic, basic levels. look at the matrix MMO... potentially great franchise, poor execution again. i think city of heroes kinda cornered the 'superhero' niche
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
its true, the late game is very boring and thus is will probably have a very short expiration date.
You're right about it trying too much, but i think that the main reason that its gonna fail is that it has very low re playability. You're at max level in 2 weeks of casual playing and as i said, the end game content is shit. Making a new character isn't that interesting either. Its sad really, because it truly had potential.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Bertster7 wrote:

Why not Juggernaut?

Also, I'd have thought Spiderman a far better option for agility than Wolverinel....
Allow me to explain...

Juggernaut would a) fall under 'divine,' b) doesn't seem to lend himself very well to anything as social as 'mentoring' and c) is probably more of a mission/endgame character.

Spiderman would be pretty much unavoidable to insert somewhere into the roster, but aside from strength, I haven't figured out where he'd go apart from strength. If pressed, I would just pop Ms. Marvel out and stick him in her place. There's a reason (albeit perhaps confusing) I didn't stick him in agility, and that's because it's the 'rogue,' category. Spiderman relies heavily upon his 'Spidey' senses, which would be of little help or relevance to a player without them. But Wolverine/Mystique have more formal experience in this area.

At any rate, perhaps 'agility' is a misnomer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Uzique wrote:

don't get me wrong, it looks very entertaining and a great load of fun - especially with the hacknslash style combat - but i just don't see how it can make a quality MMO.
That's my problem. I have two months of Age of Conan left to play (gift card + expansion pack), but haven't touched the thing since my first month. It's a great game for hack'n'slash, but after awhile it just seemed...meh?

Also, at the point when I was going to continue, I found out that they'd wiped old characters.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Saw Yahtzee's review. Not surprised about the negativity obviously and he's got a point about the early character customisation and his opservation that heroes and villains generally look interchangable, (in my experience it's the heroes that like gluing spikes to themselves which I found surprising.) Considering that last point it may be a good idea to give hero/villain specific style options.

Obviously he didn't play it very long but that's the problem with reviewing any MMO I guess. I didn't agree with his comments about the combat, (which is certainly more fun than something like WoW,) but it was a fairly fair review. Given the lack of flair in the review I guess it's a game he didn't find either good or bad and giving the fact that he didn't give it much time it seems a vote of confidence for the game really.

Still, doesn't give me any great confidence in the game's lastability.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Since this is free to play now, I decided to grab it on Steam and give it a go. After painstakingly crafting my supervillain outfit to go with my magic yellow light ring, the first thing I collect is a generic piece of armor that obscures my outfit. Also, the game's finicky about letting me cancel flight mode. Allowed me to land in the tutorial, but not in the safe house.

GG, DCU.

e: Figured both out. The landing didn't work because DCUO reassigned the key I reassigned back to its default state. You can also hide gear through some roundabout menu shit. I'd call the game a step above Champions Online for gameplay and lore (unfair comparison on that last part), but a step below for cosmetic character customization.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516
Just got addicted to this shit.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
been playing this the last couple days, a nice change up to fps.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It isn't a bad game, but really only good for one or two characters. Make sure to go with the Joker as a villain, though. Even though it's a stupid idea for any smart villain to side with him, it's entertaining.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
Hmm
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
seems like there is a lot to learn in the game, Both Gotham and Metropolis are quite large, and there seems to be a huge amount of armor, weapons and powers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The challenge seems to go out the window when you can simply fly over everything.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Iddtqt

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard