FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6401|'Murka

Nowai
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6705|US

-Sh1fty- wrote:

haha

well I enjoy but it nitpicking for facts can be fun if you don't forget that it's a freaking TV show and not a documentary
Sure, but if you are going to nitpick, at least do it with accuracy.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5464|Ventura, California
Next episode is tonight
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York
Good episode tonight. Much better than last weeks which outside of the first 20 minutes was a bore. Great acting by Andrew Lincoln as usual.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6649|BC, Canada
Really, cause I was like, nothing actually happened this episode...
Benzin
+576|5989
This episode was good, but it was also 20 minutes shorter than the last episode. Hopefully next week's really gets into more of the characters.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6810

RAIMIUS wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

here's an interesting post from a Walking Dead forum.

First off, the military does NOT have unlimited ammo, and most of the ammo they have is NOT stored in bases in the US. Furthermore, no army in the world trains it's standard infantry troops to make head shots, they shoot for 'center mass' - the torso. Also, a large portion of our military is deployed in other countries, so operations on our home soil would be handled mainly by the National Guard. This is a problem because a) guardsmen train less than regular soldiers and b) it would be difficult for a part-time soldier/guardsman to leave his family and report for duty. In hurricane Katrina, less than 40% of the New Orleans police force showed up for work - they wanted to stay with their families and make sure THEY were safe.

It is also very difficult to imagine US soldiers being given orders to kill infected civilians right off the bat, even if they are going to become zombies eventually. It is even harder to imagine them FOLLOWING such orders.

Finally, there are about 300,000 soldiers in the US military. There are 300 MILLION civilians in the country. Not only does the army not have 300 million bullets, let alone enough bullets to ensure 300 million headshots, but very few people, soldiers or civilian, would be able to singlehandedly kill 1,000 zombies, which is what each soldier would have to do. Gunshots also bring more zombies to your position, in greater numbers than you can handle.
Internet forums are the most reliable way to find arguments using sound statistics.  /facepalm

Below is a chart of production by the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/Se … _ammo.html
Actually it's more like 2.8 million people in the (US) military. Plus, a lot of countries including the US keep track of people who are "fit" for military duty in the event of extra-ordinary circumstances that require a draft, which has happened before.

Whoever made that argument is sort of an idiot, because of his assumptions that the only weapon in a military's arsenal seems to be an assault rifle and bullets.

His only valid point is the thing about the National Guard. There's a slight disconnect with duty and obedience between active duty personnel and reserve personnel. At least, that's my opinion, assuming there were an actual zombie apocalypse.

As a Guardsman myself, I would be one of those individuals who wouldn't show up for duty, for a variety of reasons. The most important being the safety of my own family. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, and as far as orders and duty is concerned, I'd be one of the last people to waiver from that, but the thing is, a zombie apocalypse is not exactly a foreign enemy attacking US citizens.

Depending on how severe this hypothetical apocalypse were, our society, standards and morals would just be obliterated (like Katrina). I highly doubt I'd be the only so called "deserter" in such an event, and even in normal times the Guard still can't tell its head from it's ass sometimes (this comes from personal experience). I can't imagine the chaos and confusion in any National Guard unit that would ensue as a result.

Pay would be forfeited or worthless more than likely as a result of a collapse of the financial sector,  so nobody would be getting paid, and never mind trying to find the money and equipment to pay and equip millions of draftees. Don't forget the time it would take to train them all, even with some less-than-standard-emergency training program that's probably already written up in some contingency plans collecting dust.

I'd rather take my chances surviving on my own with my family, helping others along the way than getting shafted on guard duty in bumfuck Idaho to preserve our current government and politicians.

The way I see it, I'd be doing more good that way than anything. It's not oppression we're facing, its survival. The American way of life and the constitution would still exist.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6810

CapnNismo wrote:

This episode was good, but it was also 20 minutes shorter than the last episode. Hopefully next week's really gets into more of the characters.
The best part of the episode was when they were at the facility trying to gather medical supplies. The show needs more of that and less drama. It's about surviving zombies. A lot of people complained during the first seasons that the characters weren't exactly 3 dimensional. It was only a *slight* problem, but it looks like they spent the first episode and now the 2nd, devoted to character development. I hope this is just temporary to remind the audience they're 'real people' and to want to care about them, then move on with it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't care about that little girl. In fact, I don't care about most children in TV shows, especially the ones with angst teens with parent problems. Children are going to make your life harder and more complicated obviously in their situation, but still, what kind of idiot runs off into the woods when you can just run around the front of the car back to safety? There were only 2 walkers and the girl KNEW Rick was right there.

I used to care about her mother, and rooted for her in season one for ditching and getting over her asshole husband, but now? I realize shes distraught about her daughter, but how the fuck could she possibly blame anyone, especially Rick, for her being lost? Bitch needs to start teaching her daughter a thing or two about common sense.

After this last episode, they should all leave and let HER stay and wait for her daughter. The rest of the group put in more than enough effort to search for her, and given the situation, their own survival is in jeopardy the longer they try to locate her.  Rick's friend obviously has had some betrayal issues, but otherwise seems to be a decent guy. I hope he can move on, understand his mistakes and actions and somehow stay with Rick and his group, they make a good team and the group needs them both - Rick might be smart, but he's too easy to say no to if someone in the group was intent on doing something retarded.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Nic wrote:

Really, cause I was like, nothing actually happened this episode...
I think them finally finding a possible safe haven is huge. According to the e-mail newsletter I get, they'll be spending a lot of season on the farm.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6649|BC, Canada
I don't really think the farm could be all that safe... only 5k from the school means not far from zombies, and an old farm house isn't exactly the most defensible position. It seems very weird that it would even have lasted this long, what with everything else around it being hit.
Brasso
+1,549|6620

5 miles you silly goose

but i completely understand and agree with your point.  it's kind of a miracle the farm is untouched
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6649|BC, Canada
I stand corrected.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
We'd have to understand the walkers a little better before we jump to conclusions. They seem to stick around the remnants of civilization so they wouldn't really have a reason to travel 5 miles into the middle of nowhere.

Not knowing how they function though, I'd assume a horde would have wandered by the farm already.
Benzin
+576|5989
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Holy shit... Shane is a fucking monster! I can't believe he just shot the guy right there to leave him as a distraction for the walkers. G'damn...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5348|London, England

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Nic wrote:

unless it was ground zero (I figure thats what the doctor whispered to him on the way out, and would explain the suicides a bit better.).
What is that supposed to mean?

here's an interesting post from a Walking Dead forum.

First off, the military does NOT have unlimited ammo, and most of the ammo they have is NOT stored in bases in the US. Furthermore, no army in the world trains it's standard infantry troops to make head shots, they shoot for 'center mass' - the torso. Also, a large portion of our military is deployed in other countries, so operations on our home soil would be handled mainly by the National Guard. This is a problem because a) guardsmen train less than regular soldiers and b) it would be difficult for a part-time soldier/guardsman to leave his family and report for duty. In hurricane Katrina, less than 40% of the New Orleans police force showed up for work - they wanted to stay with their families and make sure THEY were safe.

It is also very difficult to imagine US soldiers being given orders to kill infected civilians right off the bat, even if they are going to become zombies eventually. It is even harder to imagine them FOLLOWING such orders.

Finally, there are about 300,000 soldiers in the US military. There are 300 MILLION civilians in the country. Not only does the army not have 300 million bullets, let alone enough bullets to ensure 300 million headshots, but very few people, soldiers or civilian, would be able to singlehandedly kill 1,000 zombies, which is what each soldier would have to do. Gunshots also bring more zombies to your position, in greater numbers than you can handle.

You can fire a machine gun into a herd of zombies all day long and not kill more than a few of them - remember, headshots are all that matter. Even if you blow off a zombie's arms or legs, it will still use whatever limbs it has left to attack you.

THINK ABOUT IT THIS WAY:
Would you rather be...
1) A single solitary soldier with an assault rifle, being attacked by 1,000 people armed with bare hands, sticks, and rocks, OR
2) One of 1,000 people in a crowd attacking one soldier with an assault rifle?

Granted, each bullet is more likely to kill it's target than each rock, but the fact is that most of the 1,000 will survive while the one soldier will certainly die.
Considering I carried 800 rounds on me and had access to thousands more while deployed, both you and the forum idiot haven't a clue what you are talking about.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
cdailey2142
Flesh Peddler
+14|5053
Is it just me or is the series getting to wrapped up in the personal lives of each person rather than concentrating on the zombie aspect of the show? Don't get me wrong, I love the show but I wish they would put more time into the zombie issue rather than all the time searching for the little girl and dealing with all the personal issues of each Character. Just my opinion.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6649|BC, Canada

cdailey2142 wrote:

Is it just me or is the series getting to wrapped up in the personal lives of each person rather than concentrating on the zombie aspect of the show? Don't get me wrong, I love the show but I wish they would put more time into the zombie issue rather than all the time searching for the little girl and dealing with all the personal issues of each Character. Just my opinion.
Yeah. But AMC fired Darabont, so its bound to go downhill.

And Jay, someone else already posted a chart showing how wrong shifty and that other dumb ass were.
Benzin
+576|5989
The only thing that I would add to that discussion is an anecdote from a conversation with a former Force Recon Marine I had last night (one of my very good friends here in Vienna, he retired as a bird colonel and came up from the very bottom; was in Vietnam and all kinds of other shit): he told me that after 9/11, all the National Guard guys you saw walking around airports with rifles and submachine guns didn't have a single bullet in those guns. In their sidearms maybe, but in their rifles, not a single one. Same with the guys walking around NYC. If they wanted to get ammo, they had to call it in and ask permission. He said a similar situation was in Lebanon back in the 80s - all the ammo was stored at command HQ and all the guns along the fence weren't loaded... just a show of "force"...
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4833|Amsterdam

CapnNismo wrote:

Holy shit... Shane is a fucking monster! I can't believe he just shot the guy right there to leave him as a distraction for the walkers. G'damn...
Face it, it was his best option. His ankle was messed up and he still managed to keep up quite well with the fat guy as far as speed and he would have been able to keep going a lot longer.
It wouldn't surprise me if Otis would have become a burden to him after 5 more minutes of running.

Better to have one survive (especially the one that was a former police officer) than neither.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5348|London, England

CapnNismo wrote:

The only thing that I would add to that discussion is an anecdote from a conversation with a former Force Recon Marine I had last night (one of my very good friends here in Vienna, he retired as a bird colonel and came up from the very bottom; was in Vietnam and all kinds of other shit): he told me that after 9/11, all the National Guard guys you saw walking around airports with rifles and submachine guns didn't have a single bullet in those guns. In their sidearms maybe, but in their rifles, not a single one. Same with the guys walking around NYC. If they wanted to get ammo, they had to call it in and ask permission. He said a similar situation was in Lebanon back in the 80s - all the ammo was stored at command HQ and all the guns along the fence weren't loaded... just a show of "force"...
Common knowledge.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Benzin
+576|5989

Kampframmer wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Face it, it was his best option. His ankle was messed up and he still managed to keep up quite well with the fat guy as far as speed and he would have been able to keep going a lot longer.
It wouldn't surprise me if Otis would have become a burden to him after 5 more minutes of running.

Better to have one survive (especially the one that was a former police officer) than neither.
Yea, but Otis was also a paramedic and knew how to treat wounds and do other stuff. He would have been useful.

Jay wrote:

Common knowledge.
Perhaps for those that have been in the military, but I only grew up in the military.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Shane is a selfish douche, period.

I'll comment on why later but right now I have a freaking pizza to eat and a job to do.

Freaking shane...only cares about carl's life for his penis' sake (Lori)
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
It was either both of them or one of them making it back. But I think this is going to send Shane way further down the chute into the land of insanity.

Younger, in-shape man with experience in firearms and hand to hand combat vs. an aging, overweight guy. I know who I'd take on my side if I was trying to survive. Yes Otis had the medical experience, but considering it looks like they're going to be leaving soon for Fort Benning (their original destination), it doesn't matter much.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
They were making it away just fine, he didn't need to shoot him for a while. They had time to struggle for a good half minute before the zombies got within 6 feet of Otis so Shane took the shot way too soon.

I agree with the logical choice of shooting Otis if somebody had to die. He needs more food, he's slow on his feet, he's old, etc.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4833|Amsterdam
The 30 second struggle is no excuse to say that his initial plan was shit.
The struggle wasn't part of the plan. He would shoot him, Otis would go down and serve as a distraction and Shane would be able to escape

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard