Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5704|College Park, MD
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/world/afr … ?hpt=hp_t1

President Barack Obama is sending about 100 U.S. troops to Africa to help hunt down the leaders of the notoriously violent Lord's Resistance Army.

"I have authorized a small number of combat-equipped U.S. forces to deploy to central Africa to provide assistance to regional forces that are working toward the removal of Joseph Kony from the battlefield," Obama said in letter to House Speaker John Boehner and Daniel Inouye, the president pro tempore of the Senate. Kony is the head of the Lord's Resistance Army.

"I believe that deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa."

Obama notes that the group "has murdered, raped, and kidnapped tens of thousands of men, women, and children in central Africa" and "continues to commit atrocities across the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and South Sudan that have a disproportionate impact on regional security."
That was really fucking random. Meanwhile a war is still raging right south of our border and uh, I don't hear much talk of fixing that.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
i think stamping out some coked up african warlord is slightly easier on the wallet and for the public to swallow, than assuming control of a country approx 112m people

just maybe
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
>implying border security = taking over a country
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
it's all just a bit ironic for Mr. Nobel Peace Prize to be doing all these wars
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6692|Tampa Bay Florida
Aside from sending in troops to Mexico (which doesnt seem like too bad of an idea, if we could get away with it) you can be certain that Mexico is swarming with DEA as well as other Feds.  As we've seen with that informant in the Iran assassination thing.  I read somewhere that we're training Mexicans troops inside the US, too.

my take on this African thing?  Good.  Better to deploy a small number of efficient killers and take out these thugs than to invade and destabilize entire regions with hundreds of thousands of troops.  We have CIA and paramilitary people all over the place, probably in every single third world country.  Highly doubt this is "out of the blue"
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

FatherTed wrote:

keep swallowing the blue pills
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Henry Kissinger also got a nobel peace prize.  Politics is full of bullshit.  Surprise surprise.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

Obama hates black people
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
so do i
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

Spearhead wrote:

Henry Kissinger also got a nobel peace prize.  Politics is full of bullshit.  Surprise surprise.
I like Kissinger
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

FatherTed wrote:

so do i
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/3001718657_6bae7f895f_o.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

Mexico has a civil war on it's hands, not a human rights issue. Generally states do not intervene in civil disputes because it is of relatively little interest to their foreign policy. Granted, instability in one country can lead to issues for another, but these issues are met by modifying domestic policy in the effected state(s).

Increasing boarder control is a domestic policy. Here we are talking about US foreign policy initiatives. Generally the budget is divided between domestic and foreign initiatives, so to say that the money should go elsewhere is to approve an entirely new budget, which the US is not about to do.
There's two sides to the coin though. If we went in and achieved a measure of stability in Mexico, they'd prosper from it. Stability generally brings prosperity.

Fuck it, just annex Mexico and be done with it already. There's so many of them living here we might as well become one country
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
The United States of North America
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
trying too hard hurricane
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They have 31 states, give them the same representative rights as the rest of the US.

Last edited by Jay (2011-10-14 12:26:53)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

The United States of North America
We can invite our hat to join the union too
-Frederick Bastiat
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5752|شمال
very interesting
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

"I applaud our nation's military for making this a priority and taking the steps outlined in our legislation that will eventually protect the children and people from Joseph Kony's reign of terror," Inhofe said.

"I have witnessed firsthand the devastation caused by the LRA, and this will help end Kony's heinous acts that have created a human rights crisis in Africa. We must work to bring justice to the children and victims in Uganda devastated by Kony and the LRA. I have been fervently involved in trying to prevent further abductions and murders of Ugandan children, and today's action offers hope that the end of the LRA is in sight."

Kony claims he is a prophet sent from God to replace the Ugandan government with a democracy based on the Ten Commandments.

The website GlobalSecurity.org says the group has been "notorious for kidnapping children and forcing them to become rebel fighters or concubines."

The International Criminal Court has issued arrest warrants against Kony and four other group leaders for crimes against humanity and war crimes. Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Campo said that the "LRA is an involuntary army and the majority of the fighters are formerly abducted children. "

Obama's plan in dealing with the LRA calls for increasing "protection of civilians," apprehending or removing Kony and senior LRA commanders from the battlefield, promoting the "defection, disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration of remaining LRA fighters" and increasing "humanitarian access."

"Each day that goes by without a solution to the problem of the LRA is another day of terror and pain for those of us living under constant threat of renewed attacks. Already, the LRA has brutally killed more than 2,300 of our family members and abducted over 3,000 others since they began their latest wave of killings in September 2008," the letter said.

"Many of our children are still in the hands of the LRA. We do not know if they are alive or dead. Those who have managed to escape the LRA bear the physical and mental scars of what they have suffered and will never be the same again. We have few means to help them readjust and integrate back into our communities, but we are trying to do what we can."

The letter cites massacres in 2008 and 2009.

"During these attacks, our family members were killed in unimaginably savage ways: their heads crushed with clubs or machetes; their faces disfigured; and their genitals, mouths, ears, legs and arms cut off, for no reason other than to terrorize."
but Yea.. those 100 troops could have really changed the border situation..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Roc18
`
+655|5793|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
Wow I just realized South Sudan Seceded from Sudan. Man I'm slow.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6718|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I could be wrong about this, but didn't US action in Vietnam start with the US sending a few advisors trying to help supress an insurgency?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
from wikipedia

"Lord’s Resistance Army is just the name of the movement, because we are fighting in the name of God. God is the one helping us in the bush. That’s why we created this name, Lord’s Resistance Army. And people always ask us, are we fighting for the [biblical] Ten Commandments of God."

Obummers a mooslim
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Spearhead wrote:

from wikipedia

"Lord’s Resistance Army is just the name of the movement, because we are fighting in the name of God. God is the one helping us in the bush. That’s why we created this name, Lord’s Resistance Army. And people always ask us, are we fighting for the [biblical] Ten Commandments of God."

Obummers a mooslim
hmmmmmmmmmm wonder if they will break the 6th
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Good for Obama. Now take care of the rest of the corrupt bastards in the rest of the world. At the very least, stop throwing money and favors at them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

That said, I wonder what kind of national interests are being protected by this move. My guess is there's some company doing business in Uganda that is being jeopardized by the LRA

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard