OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
Alright guys, I'm saving for a car so my budget is low.  I'd honestly like to spend $400 at most.  

I have a Radeon 9800XT (256mb) graphic card already and wanted stuff that would be configurable with it.  I was also hoping for an 64-bit AMD.  I wasn't really sure of all the parts I'd need and what stuff I would need for it to be configurable with the graphic card.  Any help would be appreciated.
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
so u just want like agp gfx? I think the 6800 agp is pretty good.  like around 100-160 on newegg(different models)
OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
I want an entirely new computer.  I have a 9800xt currently in my Dad's.
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6701|Michigan
new egg.  I found a mobo for $35.00, and AMD 3000 64 (I think) for $117.00
That's a good deal!!!
OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
Would it work with my current gcard?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6593|Camp XRay

if your looking to ball on a budget check out tiger directs semi complete computers. i don't think that it is going to be possible to purchase all the parts necessary to build a new computer for 400 even if you rob parts out of your dads. that being said to keep the price down you might find a decent machine on ebay as well.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
Whoa, Marlbo.. didn't you play AA?

Thanks for the info too.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6646|Planet Seibertron ;)
You're going to have to do some major juggling with $400 to spare.  Are you aiming for $400 for the essentials or as the grand total?  Because little things like a computer case and hard drives can make a difference as to how much you can stretch those dollar bills.

I suggest looking up over here as I posted a lengthy list of motherboard options to choose from.  If you're planning to use the R9800 card in the new frankenstein then I might suggest going for the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard.  Not only will it enable you to use a S939 CPU right now but you'll have the added option of going with PCI Express in the future.  The motherboard will live a little longer and the transition to PCI Express video card will be easier than those who took a slow-progressing upgrade path.

I'm not sure if I can cram a S939-based system into a $400 budget... does anyone know if Asrock made a 'Dual' for the other socket as well?
OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
$400 without a monitor, and the graphic card I already have so, hopefully that helps? :s
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6565|Ohio, USA
it helps me to recommend you to save a bit more money.  I would shoot for $600 minimum in order to get some decent parts in your system.  If you want a new computer (minus graphics card and monitor) for $400, you will be struggling to get some good performance.

Here is a general idea:

ASRock 939SLI32-eSATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1697 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail: $82.00
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Socket 939, "Venice" core, retail boxed (heatsink + cooling fan, 3 yr warranty): $117.00
NEC 3550A 16X DVD (also 4X DVD+R9) burner, with burning software: $38.00
Seagate 120 GB 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache hard drive (5 year warranty), Serial-ATA version: $79.00
Crucial PC3200 1 GB DIMM: $75.00

that right there is about $400.  Add in a case+power supply (I recommend the Antec Sonata II as it comes with a strong power supply with it --- do not, do not cheap out and get some crappy aspire case or something that costs $50 or less with a power supply, those are crap).  The Sonata II costs about $100, so that comes out to $500, which of course means you supply your own keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, mousepad (if you want one), floppy drive is optional, headset, printer, etc.
vjs
+19|6741
Probably not a good idea to spend that much and include an AGP card. Personally I'd wait a little or just look for deals.

Just getting the basics your going to come up about 200 short and you'd be stuck with AGP.
OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
Alright thanks for the info guys.  I guess I'll wait until I get the car so that way I'll know how much I can spend on it.  I probably won't be spending all the money on my car and I'm working so...hopefully enough will accumulate before I go back to college.
slo5oh
+28|6631

OMG-AIDS wrote:

Alright thanks for the info guys.  I guess I'll wait until I get the car so that way I'll know how much I can spend on it.  I probably won't be spending all the money on my car and I'm working so...hopefully enough will accumulate before I go back to college.
If you live near a FRY's you can save a lot of money buying stuff when it's on sale.  I bought an antec slk1650b (look it up in newegg) case and power supply for only $15 + tax on $55 (there's a $40 mail in rebate).  Last week I got a 160 gig seagate sata 300 drive for $59 out the door... no rebates involved.  I like your idea on skipping older semperon systems and jumping into a 939 sysem, but don't completly count them out.  Fry's has a semperon 3100 CPU (proven 64bit enabled) and motherboard (ecs nforce 3) for around $70 every few weeks that's a fabulous overclocker with nothing more than a cheapo $10 HSF and will run rings around an a64 3000 chip.  If you're going to drop the extra $ to go the 939 route you should at least get an opteron 146 (monarch coputers), they've been going for around $160 and tend to overclock very easily up to 2.7 (mine's at 2.9Ghz) on air.  For the extra $40 you'll get a chip that will run as fast as (or faster) than an $800 AMD FX 57.

All that said... I really think you should built it with the semperon combo if you're going to keep your current video card (agp right?), because if you're going to drop the extra dough and go 939 you should really step up to PCI-exp... but that will add at least another $100 for a decent video card.
OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
I'll definitely check to see if I have a Fry's near me, sounds like they have some really good deals.  I think I'll just continue saving and wait until after I buy the car.  That way I'm not left with $1,000 or some ammount that I could've put into the computer.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6565|Ohio, USA

OMG-AIDS wrote:

I'll definitely check to see if I have a Fry's near me, sounds like they have some really good deals.  I think I'll just continue saving and wait until after I buy the car.  That way I'm not left with $1,000 or some ammount that I could've put into the computer.
sounds like the best option

@ slo50h, the motherboard I recommended has both an AGP slot and a PCI-E slot that way when he gets a bit more money he can upgrade to PCI-E.
slo5oh
+28|6631

Janus67 wrote:

OMG-AIDS wrote:

@ slo50h, the motherboard I recommended has both an AGP slot and a PCI-E slot that way when he gets a bit more money he can upgrade to PCI-E.
I'm very hesitant to recommend such a board since I've never used one.  I usually find that an inexpensive board like this with too much tech and not enough R&D all thrown togehter mix up to make a bad board.  Have you used one of these boards?  and are there any issues?
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6565|Ohio, USA

slo5oh wrote:

Janus67 wrote:

OMG-AIDS wrote:

I'm very hesitant to recommend such a board since I've never used one.  I usually find that an inexpensive board like this with too much tech and not enough R&D all thrown togehter mix up to make a bad board.  Have you used one of these boards?  and are there any issues?
I personally have not, although I can dig up some reviews, and all of them that I have read have said it was a solid board (I was skeptical as well).

here is one at anandtech

Last edited by Janus67 (2006-05-20 21:42:03)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard