Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691

Kmar wrote:

If true those particles are traveling backwards in time.. right?
blowing my mind dude
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Superior Mind wrote:

Kmar wrote:

blowing my mind dude
and perhaps, if you subscribe to a varying speed of light, they are under those rules.. so maybe they created ancient particles traveling in to the future... ie our relative observation
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney

Kmar wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Kmar wrote:

blowing my mind dude
and perhaps, if you subscribe to a varying speed of light, they are under those rules.. so maybe they created ancient particles traveling in to the future... ie our relative observation
I think I need to spark up a number and read this thread some other time
BVC
+325|6694
Pubic to Voyager, beam down Seven of Nine and a bottle of Tequila.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6731|Cambridge, England

Kmar wrote:

I dont think so

....thinks....lol.

V = ds/dt as v is not -ve then they haven't travelled back in time? i.e. time has passed since the particles were sent, they did not arrive before they were sent?

The particles themselves will not have "aged" very much at all due to the very high speed, i.e. for them time would have stood still.

...thinks some more....

Even if you could travel instantly i.e. many times the speed of light, I dont think you would go back in time, you would not see any passage of time whereas an external observer would. I think that is right?

Im pretty sure that travelling at lightspeed gives you a one way ticket to the future, everything else ages quicker than the traveller.

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2011-09-27 09:09:05)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Heinrich Paes, a physicist at Dortmund University, has developed another theory that could explain the result. The neutrinos may be taking a shortcut through space-time, by travelling from Cern to Gran Sasso through extra dimensions. "That can make it look like a particle has gone faster than the speed of light when it hasn't," he said.
.. but really
But Susan Cartwright, senior lecturer in particle astrophysics at Sheffield University, said: "Neutrino experimental results are not historically all that reliable, so the words 'don't hold your breath' do spring to mind when you hear very counter-intuitive results like this." .. read more
If a report of particles traveling faster than the speed of light turns out to be true, it will rock the foundations of modern physics — and perhaps even change the way scientists think about time travel.

But don't fire up the DeLorean just yet. Physicists are skeptical that the tiny subatomic particles, called neutrinos, really are breaking the cosmic rule that nothing goes faster than light. And even if they are, neutrinos don't make the best vessel for sending signals to the past because they pass through ordinary matter almost unaffected, interacting only weakly with the wider world. [Countdown of Bizarre Subatomic Particles]

So you may be able to send neutrinos back in time, but would anyone notice? "If you're trying to get people's attention by bouncing neutrinos off their head, you could wait for quite awhile," Seth Lloyd, a physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told LiveScience.

That hasn't stopped physicists from imagining the possibilities in a world where faster-than-light travel is possible. If the neutrino experiment is confirmed, it opens the door to at least sending messages through time using those neutrinos, physicists say. You might even be able to send messages to "past you" with neutrinos, one physicist suggests. Experiencing time backwards, once thought impossible, might be outside the realm of sci-fi, another imagines. Of course, this is all predicated on the finding being true — and it raises thorny questions of how the universe would work if people were able to go back in time and, say, erase their own existence.

"You're talking about a tidal wave hitting physics if it's true," Kaku told LiveScience. "There are two rocks upon which modern physics is based. One is quantum theory and one is relativity. If one of the pillars falls, we're in deep trouble."

What does that mean for time travel? In theory, it might be more possible than scientists had thought. Einstein pointed out that time is relative: As you approach light speed, your experience of time is not the same as it is for the folks chugging along at their usual speed. What feels like a second to you will feel like much longer to them. This idea, called "time dilation," spawned such sci-fi classics as 1968's "Planet of the Apes," in which what feels like 18 months to Charleton Heston and his crew is enough time for gorillas, chimps and orangutans to evolve language and complex societies back on Earth. [Top 10 Scary Sci-Fi Series]

There are a lot of barriers to approaching light speed, much less breaking it, but if you could, you could theoretically experience time running backward, Kaku said. Here's how it would work: As you approach light speed, you might time goes slower in the outside world than it does for you. When you hit light speed, the outside world goes so slow in relation to you that it stops (again, in relation to you; people in the outside world feel as if time is the same as always). So if you could push past that speed limit, the outside world would be so slow as to be moving backward in relation to you.
.. read more
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HITNRUNXX
+220|6708|Oklahoma City
My thoughts: Maybe going the speed of light doesn't actually have anything to do with time... I mean, seriously, if this were true, it debunks a theory that Physics have been based on for years. Why not debunk the time-lightspeed correlation also?

Seriously, as something approaches the speed of light, time slows down for it? What ridiculousness. Why only that speed? Why doesn't time get a microfraction slower when I am in a jet?

Hey Billy, you look exactly the same as last time I saw you.

Yeah, I know, I drove 88 m.p.h. on the way over...

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilat … e_velocity
Satellites (like gps) that travel at very fast speeds over long periods of time have to account for it in order to remain accurate..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CC-Marley
+407|6827
Doesn't time move slower the further you are from Earth? Or faster? I forget which.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6731|Cambridge, England

HITNRUNXX wrote:

My thoughts: Maybe going the speed of light doesn't actually have anything to do with time... I mean, seriously, if this were true, it debunks a theory that Physics have been based on for years. Why not debunk the time-lightspeed correlation also?

Seriously, as something approaches the speed of light, time slows down for it? What ridiculousness. Why only that speed? Why doesn't time get a microfraction slower when I am in a jet?

Hey Billy, you look exactly the same as last time I saw you.

Yeah, I know, I drove 88 m.p.h. on the way over...

It does, if you put an atmoic clock on a jet and fly it around the world then it is out of sync when it lands.

As time passes slower for the traveller than the observer I am struggling to see how that does anything other than put you into the future?

If we built a train that went at the speed of light and the passengers sat on there for 2 weeks, when they got off they would be over 100 years in the future. So for those not on the train, it would be travelling around the earth for 100 years, but on the train only 2 weeks has past.

Dont get how it gets you into the past tho..
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6461|Tyne & Wear, England

CC-Marley wrote:

Doesn't time move slower the further you are from Earth? Or faster? I forget which.
It's called time dilation.

Time is relative, according to Einstein's theory.

When it comes to velocity time dilation, the faster you travel, time slows down relative to everything not moving as quickly.

Gravity also has an affect on time.  The closer you are to a gravitational mass, the slower time goes relative to everything else.  If you had one atomic clock on Earth and one on Jupiter, time would tick away more slowly on Jupiter because it is more massive.

In theory, someone in the event horizon of a black hole could observe the universe through 'life and death', whilst only seconds pass relative to them.

I think

Last edited by Switch (2011-09-27 16:47:23)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

I am glad some of you took the time to explain that ..lol. I've been explaining this to my friends irl since this made mainstream news.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

If it can be exceeded, I won't be surprised. I'm no theoretical math whiz, but history is pockmarked with dozens of broken rules of science.

iceman785 wrote:

Fucking cool. Star Trek is a reality now.
Didn't Star Trek's engines phase the ship into a different dimension when travelling at warp? There's been a ton of quasi-science workarounds to THE speed limit in that show.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
I'm fascinated to see the difference in the way this is being treated within the scientific community and outside. Everyone's all amazed and starry eyed outside, but inside all the talk is about where on earth they could have fucked up so badly. To their immense credit, the scientists themselves take great pains in their paper to point out that this is a VERY tenuous result and that it is highly likely that they are in error.

@unnamednewbie: Okay, but IF (IF IF IF) this turns out to be legit, then we're probably looking at the biggest scientific discovery since the heady days of the early 20th century, probably since the big breakthroughs in QM or even earlier to General Relativity itself. We need to invent an entirely new theory of inertial motion and re-integrate it into general relativity and quantum mechanics - a process that took a lot of staggeringly talented minds a very very long time to do the first time around.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard