FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6558|'Murka

Roc18 wrote:

He got fucked up by 2 Oklahoma defenders leading head first with their hits.
He's fine.

It's called tackle football, btw.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Roc18
`
+655|5938|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

FEOS wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

He's fine.

>Get sent to the hospital
>He's fine, herp derp it's tackle football

wait until that one hit that ends up paralyzing a player.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,738|6884|Oxferd Ohire
ow
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
13rin
+977|6627
Yea that was vicious cheap shot.  Officiating was a tad biased, but so am I...  That was way better than any bowl game in recent memory.  We coulda taken em.

Funny how Jimbo wouldn't let emanuel back after he went out with that stinger..

Side note, kid's team was victorious.  2 tackles and no false starts on offense.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
FEOS
+1,182|6558|'Murka

Roc18 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

He's fine.

>Get sent to the hospital
>He's fine, herp derp it's tackle football

wait until that one hit that ends up paralyzing a player.
Was there a flag thrown on the play? No.

Were there flags thrown for "going in high" on other plays? Yes. Both sides of the ball.

It's part of the game. If the officials thought those guys had been intentionally leading with their heads, they would've been flagged/tossed out of the game...particularly when you look at the way the game was called, as a whole.

Players get paralyzed by clean hits every year. It's a risk of the game.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13rin
+977|6627
I watched that game, both players led with their heads, and helmet to helmeted the guy.  Yes flags were thrown, personal foul on Harris.

Last edited by 13rin (2011-09-18 17:57:20)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
FEOS
+1,182|6558|'Murka

13rin wrote:

I watched that game, both players led with their heads, and helmet to helmeted the guy.  Yes flags were thrown, personal foul on Harris.
Was putting my daughter to bed at the time, so I missed the play. They certainly didn't make a big deal out of it afterward...didn't even mention the penalty.

I'll look for the clip. My bet is it's like most of the hits that get flagged: clean hits that are just part of the game.

E:just watched the clip.Both Harris and Wort hit him with their shoulder pads, not their helmets. In fact, their helmets hit each other, behind Shaw. Too bad you can't do instant replay on a bad call...
― Albert Einstein

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6748|132 and Bush

I wonder were they're going to put USF after yesterday's game. Yea it was FAMU, but what a trouncing. 18 sounds good.. prolly no more than 19 though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6471|New Haven, CT
They are 18 in the AP and 17 in the Coaches poll.
13rin
+977|6627

FEOS wrote:

13rin wrote:

Was putting my daughter to bed at the time, so I missed the play. They certainly didn't make a big deal out of it afterward...didn't even mention the penalty.

I'll look for the clip. My bet is it's like most of the hits that get flagged: clean hits that are just part of the game.

E:just watched the clip.Both Harris and Wort hit him with their shoulder pads, not their helmets. In fact, their helmets hit each other, behind Shaw. Too bad you can't do instant replay on a bad call...
Love ya FEOS, but you need yer' eyesight checked.  Both players put their helmets into his.  It was a cheap shot.  Pass plays over the middle....
FEOS
+1,182|6558|'Murka

13rin wrote:

FEOS wrote:

13rin wrote:

Love ya FEOS, but you need yer' eyesight checked.  Both players put their helmets into his.  It was a cheap shot.  Pass plays over the middle....
No eyesight check needed. Just watch the clip. Watch what hits Shaw. It's their shoulder pads. Their helmets hit each other...behind Shaw. Because they hit him with their pads, not their helmets. It's crystal clear.
― Albert Einstein

OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6797|Washington DC

FEOS wrote:

13rin wrote:

FEOS wrote:

No eyesight check needed. Just watch the clip. Watch what hits Shaw. It's their shoulder pads. Their helmets hit each other...behind Shaw. Because they hit him with their pads, not their helmets. It's crystal clear.
That's what I saw as well ... they weren't leading with their helmets but with their shoulders.  Clean hit, but just unfortunate for the receiver.  Also, I can understand how the ref might have seen it as an illegal hit in real-time.
FEOS
+1,182|6558|'Murka

OrangeHound wrote:

FEOS wrote:

13rin wrote:

That's what I saw as well ... they weren't leading with their helmets but with their shoulders.  Clean hit, but just unfortunate for the receiver.  Also, I can understand how the ref might have seen it as an illegal hit in real-time.
I can agree with that, as well. Just like the other poor calls later in the game.
― Albert Einstein

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6471|New Haven, CT
Did Florida State score on the play? It was clearly a legal catch followed by a touchdown.
FEOS
+1,182|6558|'Murka

nukchebi0 wrote:

Did Florida State score on the play? It was clearly a legal catch followed by a touchdown.
Dropped the ball, IIRC.
― Albert Einstein

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6471|New Haven, CT
He did, but after he crossed the goal line. He certainly came down and had possession of the ball before the two Oklahoma defenders hit him. The hits, I do agree, were legal.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6438|Washington St.
my poor cougs suck but we don't suck this bad

https://i.imgur.com/wk2Kl.jpg
FEOS
+1,182|6558|'Murka

nukchebi0 wrote:

He did, but after he crossed the goal line. He certainly came down and had possession of the ball before the two Oklahoma defenders hit him. The hits, I do agree, were legal.
Nope. Ball clearly came out before he crossed the goal. Incomplete pass.
― Albert Einstein

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6471|New Haven, CT

FEOS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ah yeah, I rewatched the video and from one angle it was pretty clear he lost it before crossing the goal line. With that said he did catch it and have possession before he was hit so why was it incomplete rather than a fumble?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2011-09-21 04:53:24)

OrangeHound

nukchebi0 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Ah yeah, I rewatched the video and from one angle it was pretty clear he lost it before crossing the goal line. With that said he did catch it and have possession before he was hit so why was it incomplete rather than a fumble?
It was a play with a penalty, so whatever happens on the field is immaterial.

Without the penalty, instant replay would have ruled it a reception and a fumble, recovered by OU in the endzone (overturning the incomplete pass that was ruled on the field).  And, Oklahoma would have the ball at the 20.

And, with regard to FEOS' comment, many times referees will rule a pass incomplete if it comes out after a hit like that.  Perhaps this is for mercy.  That is, receivers have to "control" the catch and referees want to see sufficient time with control of the ball after the hit. So if the play is bang-bang (catch-hit) resulting in a loose ball, they'll call it incomplete rather than complete and fumble.
OrangeHound

Wow hurricat ... I think your clown uniforms at Maryland are starting to translate into on-the-field performance.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6471|New Haven, CT

OrangeHound wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Without the penalty, instant replay would have ruled it a reception and a fumble, recovered by OU in the endzone (overturning the incomplete pass that was ruled on the field).  And, Oklahoma would have the ball at the 20.

And, with regard to FEOS' comment, many times referees will rule a pass incomplete if it comes out after a hit like that.  Perhaps this is for mercy.  That is, receivers have to "control" the catch and referees want to see sufficient time with control of the ball after the hit. So if the play is bang-bang (catch-hit) resulting in a loose ball, they'll call it incomplete rather than complete and fumble.
Play with a penalty doesn't mean the result is necessarily ignored. Defensive offsides or pass interference, for example.
OrangeHound

nukchebi0 wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Play with a penalty doesn't mean the result is necessarily ignored. Defensive offsides or pass interference, for example.
True ... the offense can accept the "play" rather than the "penalty".

My point, in case I was not clear, is that the only two possibilities for this play will be bad for the offense.
(1)  If the ruling on the field stands, it is an incomplete pass - the penalty would be a better choice.
(2)  If instant replay changed the on-the-field ruling to a catch, then it is also a fumble (the ball came out at the 1 yard line) with a recovery by the defense - the penalty would be a better choice.

Therefore, there whatever the call might be or become is immaterial because the penalty will be accepted in either case.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6645

LSU takes #1 away from Oklahoma.

anyone surprised?
CC-Marley
+407|6976
yes

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard