unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Charged headlong into this one.

I'm not too irked about it, but here's the issue:

1) Installed Windows 7 onto 128GB SSD.
2) Initialized 3TB drive as GPT (which Windows cannot be installed on).
3) Found out later in Intel Rapid Response Technology that I needed Windows installed on a drive other than the SSD.

I was hoping to split the SSD between a ~64GB Windows 7 volume and a ~64GB cache volume and put the bulk of my software on the 3TB (backed up externally, of course). With what I currently know, I don't think this can be done.

However, since I run many so many programs, I doubt I'd see much of a SSD cache boost. Instead, I'm going to use the SSD to capacity on core professional software (and non-steam games that I want to run more quickly) and keep Steam, other games and non-essential media on the 3TB drive.

Steam really does need to step up and allow people to select drive location for specific game installs. This has been an issue since 2004 and low-capacity Raptor hard drives.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6447|Brisbane, Australia

1)http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/ is a super handy tool that lets you click two buttons to move steam installs around. I agree that steam should integrate it though.

2)I admittedly know nothing about Intel Rapid Response Technology but I have windows installed on my SSD and every non program (and steam) on another harddrive and programs open extremely fast. Just my experience, I dont use any particularly huge programs though so obviously this is purely anecdotal.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Always a good link to throw out there. I've heard of a variety of workarounds, but it would be vastly preferable to simply have it built in.

If I ever accumulate a couple more small-capacity SSD's and decide to take my pair of 2TB's out of my older computer, I may give it a shot. But for now, I'm going to leave SSD caching alone. It's about time that I play some games! (as soon as I transfer all my documents. ugh).
TimmmmaaaaH

Steam already has issues with redownloading games etc, I am not sure it could handle that as well honestly. I know for a fact I have had multiple games redownload (and actually redownload not just do that "download but actually just check files" thing) when they havent been patched. For example, fired up Company of Heroes for the first time since I reformatted and although all the files were there and there hadnt been a patch, it redownloaded the whole game (for both opposing fronts and vanilla even though they share content). Obviously a lot of this is out of Valves control as far as expansions and what not (see: GTA:IV's horrific double up and FEAR's) it happens often enough that I am wary of letting steams file management break even more installations.

A lot of this would be solved by having an actual install/uninstall ability rather than straight up deleting the files and redownloading them. I guess I could back them up then delete content, then restore but fuck thats a lot of shitting around for something that should be 2 clicks.

The only SSD setup I did was move the page file to the other harddrive because I have 8GB RAM and I didnt want it taking up precious space on my SSD. Maybe disabled superfetch/indexing on the SSD as well. I think I followed some "10 tips for your new SSD" guide.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Steam is very good for small libraries, but it certainly is a pain once your collection grows a bit. Would love a "download all" button that I could leave running overnight, rather than manually waiting for each game's files to prep for transfer before I start on the next. That plus its quarantine to single hard drives is a huge point of annoyance that has bothered me for years.

I've started buying the retail boxes again where I reasonably can.
csmag
+92|6455|Canada
You can install windows on GPT partitions!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Steam really does need to step up and allow people to select drive location for specific game installs. This has been an issue since 2004 and low-capacity Raptor hard drives.
ntfs file system allows you to link anything you want anywhere you desire. how to.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK
The thread title violates forum rule 8: Use descriptive and appropriate titles when creating a thread.

change it.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

1)http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/ is a super handy tool that lets you click two buttons to move steam installs around. I agree that steam should integrate it though.

2)I admittedly know nothing about Intel Rapid Response Technology but I have windows installed on my SSD and every non program (and steam) on another harddrive and programs open extremely fast. Just my experience, I dont use any particularly huge programs though so obviously this is purely anecdotal.
I installed steam on my storage drive.. Guess I'll have to delete steam+all my games to be able to use that program correctly?
TimmmmaaaaH

Jebus wrote:

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

I installed steam on my storage drive.. Guess I'll have to delete steam+all my games to be able to use that program correctly?
Nope my steam is also installed on my second drive. I dont remember if I set it up or not, maybe edited an .ini file or something.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard