AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Looks exactly like the last CS in terms of style.

Which is what every CS fan wanted anyway, so meh.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Everyone play Call of Duty on the 360 now.. spec: the multiplyr zombies game.   worth buyin?
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5029|Massachusetts, USA

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Everyone play Call of Duty on the 360 now.. spec: the multiplyr zombies game.   worth buyin?
TBH, BLOPS zombies gets old real fast. Also, people on the 360 are retarded, so unless you have friends who play consistently. Not worth it.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
lol
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Yahoo Games wrote:

GameStop under fire for removing free coupons from Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The battle over digital game distribution just took a turn for the ugly.

Video game retail giant GameStop has been opening up brand new PC game boxes of the critically-acclaimed shooter Deus Ex: Human Revolution and removing packed-in coupons granting free copies of the game to users of the OnLive cloud gaming service.

OnLive and Deus Ex publisher Square Enix announced the coupon deal yesterday, which would let buyers of a boxed PC copy download and play another copy of the game, for free, via OnLive's cloud based network, a $50 value.

But apparently GameStop, which has its own digital distribution platform, wasn't on board with what it believes is helping to promote the competition. A letter sent out to GameStop employees instructing them to "immediately remove and discard the OnLive coupon from all the regular PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution" has been widely circulated, and GameStop has since officially confirmed the practice.

"Regarding the Deus Ex OnLive Codes: GameStop's policy is that we do not promote competitive services without a formal partnership," GameStop says on its Facebook page. "Square Enix packed a competitor's coupon within the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons."

It's pretty upsetting news for those who like to believe that when they buy a new product, they are actually, you know, buying a new product.  Knowing a retailer tampered with a game box simply to thwart a promotion geared at saving gamers money is, to say the least, a little worrying.
GameStop, however, assures you that while they're breaking the seal on your new game box, your game itself should be fine.

"While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist," the company states.

So is it illegal? That's a bit fuzzy. Wired reports that Square Enix and OnLive might be able to make a case for "tortious interference," which occurs when one party intentionally damages another party's contractual or business relationships.

GameStop has raised the ire of gamers before. Just last year, the company was hit with  a class-action lawsuit over what consumers considered deceptive used game sales.

Square Enix and OnLive have yet to formally respond.
Personally, I'm not surprised.

Over half of my in-store pre-orders there have resulted in trips to other stores for extra content or my having to accept another game's pre-order content in lieu of what I was actually due. In some cases, returning to a particular franchise a week later saw my pre-order bonus content on the shelf with a price tag on it, resulting in a light conversation about what I was and wasn't due for my efforts.

In addition to that unreliability, Gamestop's practice of opening new game boxes to squirrel away content behind their corners in the name of theft prevention has had me raising my eyebrows. This combined with the previous and the fact that they have on occasion had to dig around for discs, manuals, posters and papers has left me simply taking my business to Steam and Amazon.

That said, orders from Gamestop, shipped to your front door are usually decent. Just don't bother with the stores unless you're buying used games at huge discounts.

requote wrote:

OnLive and Deus Ex publisher Square Enix announced the coupon deal yesterday, which would let buyers of a boxed PC copy download and play another copy of the game, for free, via OnLive's cloud based network, a $50 value.

But apparently GameStop, which has its own digital distribution platform, wasn't on board with what it believes is helping to promote the competition. A letter sent out to GameStop employees instructing them to "immediately remove and discard the OnLive coupon from all the regular PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution" has been widely circulated, and GameStop has since officially confirmed the practice.
Many box-copy games sold can be downloaded from steam via CD key nowadays, so I still don't see why Gamestop has a problem with this.
UnkleRukus
That Guy

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

~
Think of it this way.

Person A purchases Deus Ex with the coupon in it from GameStop. Person B is Person A's friend and really wants to play the game as well.
Person A already has a physical copy and the coupon, so Person A either sells or gives the coupon to Person B. So instead of going to GameStop to purchase the game, Person B now has a free (or reduced cost) copy of Deus EX. GameStop loses a sale.

GameStop is just being greedy tbh, i don't agree with what they're doing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Also, they are not technically losing a sale because the spare CD key is a part of the official package they sell. Stripping it down because of some perceived wrong is fraudulent. That would be like Target ripping out access to digital copies from every movie they sold.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

https://revolt-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/graph-1.jpg
lol
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

When Steam servers "go down for maintenance shortly," the least they could do is give you some notice rather than kick you straight off.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6336

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Many box-copy games sold can be downloaded from steam via CD key nowadays, so I still don't see why Gamestop has a problem with this.
According to RPS GameStop has its own game streaming service, so the OnLive copy is a direct competitor.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

Sisco wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

According to RPS GameStop has its own game streaming service, so the OnLive copy is a direct competitor.
They bought Impulse a few months back.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I suppose they can do whatever they want with copies they sell on Impulse. They could have even been cool and given people Impulse keys with retail copies of Deus Ex HR.

What they shouldn't do is strip down box content. Everything I've learned about honest retail cries out against it. It'd be like removing driver discs from retail box video cards, closing it back up and selling it as the complete product. As mentioned before, I already have reason to be suspicious of Gamestop. This is just another jab.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6439|Amsterdam‫

RTHKI wrote:

finally
how is it?
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
TimmmmaaaaH

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I suppose they can do whatever they want with copies they sell on Impulse. They could have even been cool and given people Impulse keys with retail copies of Deus Ex HR.

What they shouldn't do is strip down box content. Everything I've learned about honest retail cries out against it. It'd be like removing driver discs from retail box video cards, closing it back up and selling it as the complete product. As mentioned before, I already have reason to be suspicious of Gamestop. This is just another jab.
I dont think anyone anywhere that doesnt work for gamestop has argued that taking the codes out is a good thing. Of course it is greedy corporate bullshit but gamestop has a reputation for being shit like that so I am no surprised.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

And again, it's not just greedy corporate bullshit: it's fraudulent.
TimmmmaaaaH

Fine it is fraudulent.

Either way Gamestop is being shitty.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
When aren't they being shitty tbh.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

When they used to sell games without the bs.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
Even when they were EB Games they were fucking the consumers.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6341|Belfast

Last edited by henno13 (2011-09-02 13:10:23)

Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6336
I highly doubt that´s real...
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

Sisco wrote:

I highly doubt that´s real...
It's AO and it says it's coming for 360/PS3... yet Sony and Microsoft both don't allow AO games on their system IIRC. Probably fake.
CC-Marley
+407|6821
Downloading Project Reality: ARMA 2 v0.1 BETA....
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Ok, I'm done with this Hearts of Iron 3 nonsense. I went from a 16MB save to 30MB...to 100MB. One out of every four or so load attempts would crash the game or force me to restart it manually. It's been a fun several playthroughs from 1936 to 1939, but I can't take it anymore. You're stuck between being afraid to save for fear of it making a huge file you can't load and afraid not to save for fear of it crashing.

Paradox has had all the time in the world to fix this shit, but all they want to do is sell sprite packs. If a computer with 16GB RAM can't handle it, fuck 'em.

e: Everyone says it's fixed in the new version. I've been playing the new version. \_/, I suppose.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard