Capt. Foley
+155|6596|Allentown, PA, USA
I want to get a new computer that will let me run BF2 on high along with all the mods that will come out with it.
The few things I know I want are:
2GB of RAM
Geforce 7800 or 7900 video card
X-Fi sound card
atleast a 80GB hard drive(about 10 games and 10 mods that I want to install so far, expect atleast another 5 of each plus the regular windows and microsoft programs)
Can someone please point me to a good site where I could customize my own computer but that is user frendly(Im not smart on tech stuff).
Capt. Foley
I just checked the Dell site and the only thing they have that even has 2GB of ram is 3,100$.
My max is about 1000$ and would prefer the cheapest possible that would meat my needs.(I dont wanna have to buy a new computer for 3-4 years.
Capt. Foley
Just checked Alienware also, they dont even have anything with 2GB of RAM as far as I can tell.
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6605

Capt. Foley wrote:

I just checked the Dell site and the only thing they have that even has 2GB of ram is 3,100$.
My max is about 1000$ and would prefer the cheapest possible that would meat my needs.(I dont wanna have to buy a new computer for 3-4 years.
Well you get what you pay for, but what from your other computer can you bring over to save costs?
Optical Drives?  Hard Drives? 

Main Cost will Run Processor, Motherboard, Heatsink, Ram, Video Card.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6603|Ohio, USA
that's going to be hard to get the 7800/7900(300+) card + 2GB of ram(150-200+), and a good processor (150-250-350+) and motherboard (125+) and an xfi card (100+), and case+power supply (100+) right there assuming a 150 set of ram and 250 processor you are already at 1025.  add a dvd +/-rw (35), keyboard/mouse (50), hard drive (100), monitor (200+).

that is if you would buy all the parts and build it yourself.  Now if you wanted to get one from a reputable company pre-built, don't expect less than 2000.
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6605
Have you also seen this thread:

$1000 Gaming PC

Last edited by MaddOps (2006-05-18 12:54:15)

Capt. Foley
The Dell site has 1 that I found now, 4GB of RAM???? and a 256MB 7800 video card.
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6784|Kansas, USA
If you go to one of the main manufacturers sites and look for a computer with 2GB RAM, of course it is going to cost an arm and a leg. I don't suggest Dell or Alienware, but no matter what site you go to don't even look for the ones that come with 2GB standard. Find the one with the right processor and video card and then upgrade the RAM to 2GB.
Capt. Foley
I have a monitor, KB, mouse, speakers, joystick lol, and a 15GB hard drive. Im also not smart enough to build it myself.

Right now I have some shitty sound card, 512 RAM, 128MB 6600 video card, and a 2.53 Ghz hard drive or something thats 2.53 Ghz
Capt. Foley
Look at this 1(second 1 from left at top of screen), would this work for me?
http://www.dell.com/content/products/co … amp;~ck=mn
Capt. Foley
Didnt Dell used to let you customize your own computer, I cant find the link to do that.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6603|Ohio, USA
hmm, no idea what you are talking about with the 2.53 ghz hard drive, I assume you are referring to a pentium 4 processor.

Trust me, and not to be demeaning, but anyone, and I mean anyone can build a computer.  Do a google search for a how to guide, you will get thousands upon thousands... upon thousands of hits on how to do it, and save yourself a good deal of money in the process.  You just need to make sure that you have everything, and all of the software that you need (drivers, windows, etc).
Capt. Foley
If I try to build the computer my self, would there be anyway to get help, like a phone number to walk me through it or a guide that is customized for my computer, something like that?
Capt. Foley
OK, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to build it my self now, can anyone give me a price idea and a place I could buy those things I need?
Oh, I don't know if it helps but I live in Allentown, PA
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6576|NYC / Hamburg

that is going to be tricky to get a good gaming pc for 1K if you dont build it yourself. Can I somehow pursuade you to do it yourself? Its not that difficult and you get much much much much much better value. You cant do anything really wrong as all components are built in a fashion that everything only fits in one position in one way. I can try to walk you through it. I built my first pc with a close to zero knowledge, but its still happly working as my dads pc. if you can add ram or a sound card, you can build your own pc.

feel free to pm me if you want help

Last edited by max (2006-05-18 13:14:17)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
max
Vela Incident

CPU: AMD X2 3800+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103562

Mobo: something similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131530

Graphics: geforce 7600gt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814150145

RAM: Corsair Value select 2 x 1GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820145579

roughly 760$ (now you need also a case (100), psu (100), mouse/kb/monitor, ...)

good place where you can get help is the forums on www.tomshardware.com

That system will give a very solid performance (though low to no overclockability). A good shop in the us would be newegg (see links)

EDIT: I'm just building a similar (read a bit faster and way more expensive system). I can make you some pictures while i build it. With these anybody should be able to build one

forgot hd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6822148105 75$

this is all just something i quickly put together. while it is all compatible, enhancements can be made, so dont sue me if you buy exactly this

Last edited by max (2006-05-18 13:30:06)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Capt. Foley
Well I made 1 update to my old computer and that required a new HD so I let Circuit City install it lol.
I am going to Build it myself and I think I found a good guide, any links to sites where I could buy the things I need or ways I could find stores in my area that have the things I need.
Capt. Foley
Do you have a link for a 7800 or 7900 video card, I dont want to spend money on this for atleast1.5 years after I build it.
max
Vela Incident

Capt. Foley
Thanks, will those be up there for a while, I dont think I will be able to buy them until Sat-Sun.
max
Vela Incident

Capt. Foley wrote:

Thanks, will those be up there for a while, I dont think I will be able to buy them until Sat-Sun.
sure
Capt. Foley
Good, being 14 I kinda gotta find my money, get some out of the bank, make deal with parents, get there credit card.ect
max
Vela Incident

Capt. Foley wrote:

Good, being 14 I kinda gotta find my money, get some out of the bank, make deal with parents, get there credit card.ect
I build my 1st pc when i had just turned 14 (got it for chrismas/birthday; they are only 1 week away from each other). Great age to start.

Make sure you dont skimp on the power supply (here it is important that you buy a high quality one). many first time builders make that mistake.

before you buy send me the list of the stuff you want to buy (i'll send you my e-mail in a pm) and ill check everything for u
Capt. Foley
Just a questiong, do you think it would be better to just get more RAM, new sound card, and more memory?
max
Vela Incident

RAM = Memory

at least for the beginning the integrated sound will do very fine (you can always add in a sound card later)

your prioritys should be 2 GB RAM (and no more is needed) > Graphics (no dual solution though) > CPU (should be dual core thogh so you are furture proof) > the rest

Last edited by max (2006-05-18 13:43:55)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard