atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA
This looks like a decent system for someone on a budget. It does expect you to already have some components (speakers, kb, mouse, monitor) and you would need to buy a sound card unless you wanted to use the subpar onboard sound, but it is a good starting point.
CPU: AMD Athlon 3700+ $230
RAM: 1GB Corsair PC3200 $75
Videocard: nVidia 7600 GT $225
Hard Drive: WD Caviar SE 16 250 GB $110
Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Optical Drive: BenQ DW1655 $55
PSU: Antec TruePower 2.0 550W $115
Case: Kingwin SK-523BKW $55

Total: $975

It won't break any benchmarks, but what do you expect for $1000?
I would probably upgrade the CPU to an X2 and the video to a 7900 GT...
0akleaves
+183|6605|Newcastle UK
i alredy have that ram, video card and got mine for £600 all of ebay except v.card
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6559|NYC / Hamburg

looks nice. make sure to get the 90 nm version and not the 130 nm version of the CPU. If you dont overclock you can use valueram. try to fit 2 GB into your budget. The videocord is a personal preference but i would also look into an ATI solution. For the mobo you could also get an nForce 4 ultra board (SLI is economical nonsense, and the extra pci-e lanes dont help you at all). PSU is ok. Case is again personal preference.

Also look into the forumz on www.tomshardware.com all the tech geeks meet there

EDIT: especially for dual cores the 939 versions of the operons can make sense, especially they overclock very well (higher quality chips go to opteron, the lower quality ones become athlon64).

On toms there was just an article on overclocking a Pentium D 805 to 4.1 GHz. You might want to look into intel for a cheap dual core solution (is that me suggesting that? what has happened to me? i think im going crazy.)

Last edited by max (2006-05-10 12:23:39)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
max
Vela Incident

also remember that for recent games the gpu is more important than the cpu (not to say that that it is not also important)
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6587|Ohio, USA

atlvolunteer wrote:

This looks like a decent system for someone on a budget. It does expect you to already have some components (speakers, kb, mouse, monitor) and you would need to buy a sound card unless you wanted to use the subpar onboard sound, but it is a good starting point.

good post, although I would have to disagree with what you said about the onboard sound.  It has drastically improved over the past couple years and most people, except for audiophiles can really tell the difference.  That is it does depend on the quality of your speakers and other such factors.
max
Vela Incident

Janus67 wrote:

good post, although I would have to disagree with what you said about the onboard sound.  It has drastically improved over the past couple years and most people, except for audiophiles can really tell the difference.  That is it does depend on the quality of your speakers and other such factors.
yes i agree with you on that. the onboard sound is really ok. you dont need a soundcard. You can always add one in later if you feel that you need it

Last edited by max (2006-05-10 12:33:10)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA
It has been my experience that onboard sound does not work well in games like BF2.  I use a USB headset normally, but I broke the one I had been using and had to go to the onboard sound for a short period of time.  It was horrible!  I may have had the in-game settings too, high, though...
EDIT: also, onboard sound uses the CPU.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-05-10 12:41:07)

max
Vela Incident

atlvolunteer wrote:

so do the cheaper soundcards
arson
+99|6628|New York
acdc
+37|6567|SEATTLE, WA

atlvolunteer wrote:

Why pick the Deluxe when you're planning on using a single 7600GT?  I've heard better things about the Asus Premium if you want sli.  Also, three of my friends had the A8N-SLI Deluxe and the fans on the board went out causing everything to overheat.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA
Well, the CPU you found is a socket 754 and wouldn't work with the mobo.  And I'm sure we can all find componenents out there that are cheaper than those chosen for the system.  What's the point, though, especially if it means going down in quality?  $1000 too steep?

acdc wrote:

Why pick the Deluxe when you're planning on using a single 7600GT?  I've heard better things about the Asus Premium if you want sli.  Also, three of my friends had the A8N-SLI Deluxe and the fans on the board went out causing everything to overheat.
Not sure why they chose that mobo.  I'll look when I get home tonight.

max wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

so do the cheaper soundcards
True, but I've seen X-Fis on sale for as low as $80.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-05-10 14:38:07)

arson
+99|6628|New York
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 819103535R  here is the 939 socket , i was a little tired b4 and didnt realize i was on the wrong one...This is a nice overclocker w the  venice core.
The case is better IMO, the psu is a much higher quality and the cpu is arguably a better value  becuse it can overclock to the same speeds for less $
I dont understand your lower  quality statement because your going up in quality and value.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6587|Ohio, USA

arson wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535R  here is the 939 socket , i was a little tired b4 and didnt realize i was on the wrong one...This is a nice overclocker w the  venice core.
The case is better IMO, the psu is a much higher quality and the cpu is arguably a better value  becuse it can overclock to the same speeds for less $
I dont understand your lower  quality statement because your going up in quality and value.
1) the San Diego core will still beat out the Venice in performance while running at the same speed because it has double the L2 cache (1mb versus 512k I believe).

2) I would have just gotten the Antec Sonata II case that comes with the 480W (I Believe) Antec power supply which would be fine for running this lesser-powered computer.

3) Antec and OCZ have about teh same quality power supplies, and they cannot be looked at as all-encompassing either.  I am sure that some models are better than others.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

atlvolunteer wrote:

You could downgrade the mainboard to non-SLI and get a 7900GT, and still come out at around the same price. The 3700+ is adequate.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6704
WHY DO YOU PEOPLE ALWAYS GET NEW RIG (2 weeks before the release of am2 and 2 month-ish before the release of conroe)?????

god !!

if you want to spend thousand bucks on something that will last about 2 months, go ahead
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6748|Hell, p.o box 666

atlvolunteer wrote:

I would suggest the following components:
CPU: AMD64 4000+ tray (X2 isnt as fast for the same price)
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Ultra64 Pro
Mobo: Asus A8 N-SLI SE (the Deluxe and Premium is too expensive)
Videocard: nVidia 7900GT
arson
+99|6628|New York
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6797|Portland, OR, USA

Evil-fruits|ST4R wrote:

i alredy have that ram, video card and got mine for £600 all of ebay except v.card
I think eBay is a bad idea for computer hardware as it's hard to get a warranty and such.

Hell, and Newegg is even cheaper a lotta the time.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Lib-Sl@yer
+32|6705|Wherever the F**k i feel like

atlvolunteer wrote:

No offence but i will wait the new AMD AM2's are comming out in less than a month and they are very inexpensive (for prossecors of course.)im getting an AM2 4000+ X2 for roughly $365.
jaymz9350
+54|6569

washow wrote:

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE ALWAYS GET NEW RIG (2 weeks before the release of am2 and 2 month-ish before the release of conroe)?????

god !!

if you want to spend thousand bucks on something that will last about 2 months, go ahead
because new releases always have bugs in them.
vjs
+19|6763
Personally I think when your on a budget like that spending 50 bucks on a sound card is a little too much and you can always upgrade the sound later. It's not the old days where if you don't buy a sound card you don't get sound.

I also think the prices for the optical drive, powersupply and case are a little high.

Should be able to find a dvdr for about 30 bucks on sale or with a redate, don't need to go for some high end pioneer or sony just a generic.

As for the powersupply and case wow that's alot to spend on a budget, 17% of your money just for a case and P/S? With that setup you wouldn't need the 550W anyways. (Good choice sure but you don't need it... I'm guessing this is part of the starting point? If so good choice.)

The drive is decent but I'd get a raptor 10K drive even if it cost more.

1G of memory... not good choice at all.

but it is a good starting point.
No can't say a good starting point, decent computer yes but not a good starting point. I personally think you did well at spending 1000 bucks but you don't have a starting point you have a decent 1000 machine.

A starting point is not purchasing alot of middle road stuff which you have listed with the exception of the power and case.

A good starting point has obvious drawbacks that are easily upgradeable and other points that are beyond the current computer.

Good starting points in current rig are the, power and case, as well as the board. Depending on how you look at it maybe the video not sure.

Too make it a better starting point...
Get a raptor with the intention of later installing a larger harddrive for storage.
Get 2G of ram since the rest of the system will build into it and 2G should be enough for a couple years.

Then cheap out in places:
Get a 3200+ or the cheapest used dirty 939 since it's going to be the first thing you yank! (E-bay b/c you don't care if its junk or used)

--------------------------------------------------

Personal suggestion on the above to make it a good starting point yet spending around $1000 starting point machine.

First that optical drive is too much Sub $55 with $30 I get $25 bucks back.
Spend that $25 and the cost of the 250G and upgrade to a raptor 72G might be short a little here.

The XP3200 is about 80 bucks cheaper than the 3700 and the 3200 is probably enough for now (<-- Here is your weak point that will later need an upgrade)
Take that 80 bucks and upgrade your memory from cheap 1G stuff to really good high performance 2G stuff (this makes another strong point).

I'd leave the video and board alone I think they are both good choice, when the 7600's come down to ~100 bucks you can SLI it. But isn't the 6800GS cheaper and about the same performace? (Not sure on this if you have the budget for the 7600 go for it otherwise cheap out on this last)

Now with what you have listed and my changes you have a solid system... probably overclock that XP3200 (you don't care about it right) to 3500 speeds with the decent memory.

Then get a dual core later that's your first obvious upgrade path and you didn't waste too much money on the first CPU.

Second upgrade path would be another harddrive, another not throwing away anything.

GPU's are tough, I'd consider a video card that could be throw away for later but the 7600 might make a nice SLI system later and you havn't broke the bankl with it.
slo5oh
+28|6653
You guys are all nuts.

#1 I use onboard audio and have since I retired my SoundBlaster AWE because it would not fit in the dual PII system I built.  My current ECS built in 8 channel audio works perfect along with the 7.1 creative speakers.

#2 for $1000 you can build a MUCH BEEFIER rig than this.
My current system cost me around $900 and smokes everything...
Since I started activly watching I've not seen 1 person load a new map on BF2 before me. 

cpu: opteron 146 (running at 2.9Ghz)
hsf: XP-90 with a generic 92mm fan
mobo: ECS KN1 SLI Lite
video: evga 7800GT
ram: 2 gigs ddr500 kit
HDD: seagate 160gig sata
optical: NEC 16x DVD RW
2nd DVD: asus silver 16x dvd
case: antec super lan boy
... I'm sure I'm forgetting something... but that's everything important
mustangjason
+0|6547
I'd agree that the prices quoted are a little high but don't you agree on the 2G and drive?
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6712|California

slo5oh wrote:

You guys are all nuts.

#1 I use onboard audio and have since I retired my SoundBlaster AWE because it would not fit in the dual PII system I built.  My current ECS built in 8 channel audio works perfect along with the 7.1 creative speakers.

#2 for $1000 you can build a MUCH BEEFIER rig than this.
My current system cost me around $900 and smokes everything...
Since I started activly watching I've not seen 1 person load a new map on BF2 before me. 

cpu: opteron 146 (running at 2.9Ghz)
hsf: XP-90 with a generic 92mm fan
mobo: ECS KN1 SLI Lite
video: evga 7800GT
ram: 2 gigs ddr500 kit
HDD: seagate 160gig sata
optical: NEC 16x DVD RW
2nd DVD: asus silver 16x dvd
case: antec super lan boy
... I'm sure I'm forgetting something... but that's everything important
lol @ exactly my comp - the case and mobo
vjs
+19|6763
sol5oh,

Well your overclocking he was asking for his current rig setup and yes his prices are high.

I don't see how you managed to buy all that for 900 but congrats.

Can you provide links and prices you paid, seriously I'm not say you can't do it but wow that's shopping around.

Part of the reason I only upgrade my current system. Never buy entirely new wait for the deals and overclock etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard