Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4852|Amsterdam

I believe i posted this a few times before when the subject of flaws in the educational system would arise, but i believe this deserves its own thread.

I cant say that i agree with every single thing in the animation (like the whole 'ADHD epidemic') but it has some good points. the whole age determines your class thing seems a little useless as ive been in class with people that werent quite able to keep up with it all and then there were also people that were getting bored.
Now i know that its hard to just change a whole system that has been around for so long and seems to be working, but i do feel that it at least requires some improvement here and there.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6724|US
There are a lot of factors. 

If you want to redesign an education system to maximize student learning, you need to figure out how to advance students at their level and have an incentive for them to maximize their own performance.  If you only advance students based on performance, sooner or later they will realize they can just do "average work" and not have to study as much.  Only the internally motivated students would actually work hard (although that is somewhat the current case, as well).
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4852|Amsterdam
Well, you cant give every single child custom education designed to perfectly fit their educational needs, but you can create a system that relies more on actual intelligence rather than age.
even though the ones that are smarter and/or work harder get rewarded later on, that reward still feel very small and its something that will only happen later on (end of high school or uni).
they dont get the intellectual stimulation they require throughout their entire life (in the school system)
rdx-fx
+955|6601
In the US, "No Child Left Behind" = "Every Child Held to the Level of the Dumbest Fucktard"

The difference in academic performance between my generation and the current generation is staggering.
Stimey
­
+786|6129|Ontario | Canada
Yes it should be.
Often in class in elementary school I was bored shitless, I would play my gameboy almost every day.
Always did well, was the valedictorian in elementary school and got a 94% average and I never glimpsed at homework more than mandatory assignments.

But I don't know what to do about it at that age. The answer isn't simply "move the child ahead a year or two" or "Just give them more work" (which, sidenote, was done for me but the teacher assigned me more homework, didn't actually teach me anything new). Although it would have made school more challenging and I would have developed a much better work ethic, I would most likely be an outcast in every social situation imaginable.
It seems like a good idea to have intelligence based grades, but that means that the more intelligent younger kids would be stuck with the "dumber" if you will older kids. And not to be critical but I find its usually the lower performing children who are 90% of the time the bad eggs in the class, which makes it much more likely that they would drag down the younger kids, not build them up. Especially when the jump in maturity at elementary school ages is so drastic, where as later in life 1 or 2 years makes little to no difference.

I feel it should be reformed and I have been thinking about this for a while, but I don't see any practical way of doing so until one on one education becomes a viable possibility.

(Also wrong section?)
­
­
­
­
­
­
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
i got jumped 3 years in my first school because of performance but then had to do the final year of school 3 times over repeatedly because of the law/regulations. that's inefficiency for you.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6008|...
Nice video and all, but what he proposes would require a complete overhaul of society because everything is dependent on the current educational system. Besides that, I disagree with his statement that judging people individually is bad because there's always going to be someone in a group who's not contributing, thereby slowing down the others or getting a free ride.

Uzique wrote:

i got jumped 3 years in my first school because of performance but then had to do the final year of school 3 times over repeatedly because of the law/regulations. that's inefficiency for you.
Going to uni at 15 would've alienated you. I'm glad I didn't go at 16.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-08-03 14:44:07)

inane little opines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
first school, not pre-uni. im talking like age 12-13.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6008|...
Didn't know there's age restrictions for jumping classes there as well, strange imo.
inane little opines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
we have 2 schools before university and it is illegal to hop into the bigger 'secondary' level before a minimum age.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England

Kampframmer wrote:

Well, you cant give every single child custom education designed to perfectly fit their educational needs, but you can create a system that relies more on actual intelligence rather than age.
even though the ones that are smarter and/or work harder get rewarded later on, that reward still feel very small and its something that will only happen later on (end of high school or uni).
they dont get the intellectual stimulation they require throughout their entire life (in the school system)
Take it back to the pre-public school days where people were tutored individually (or in small groups). Voila! Problem solved.

Yes, it's completely unrealistic and socially stratifying but that is your alternative. Democratizing schooling made it mediocre, but more 'fair'. That was the tradeoff.

Last edited by Jay (2011-08-03 15:28:12)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
i much preferred it in the day when the sons of rich leisure could be packed off to oxford at age 14 to matriculate and then become polymaths and leading statesmen by 22. those were fairer, more enlightened times.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

i much preferred it in the day when the sons of rich leisure could be packed off to oxford at age 14 to matriculate and then become polymaths and leading statesmen by 22. those were fairer, more enlightened times.
I never said it was fair. Democratization made it more 'fair' in that everyone has a relatively equal opportunity, it has just watered down the results tremendously due to the nature of democracy. Whether that tradeoff is worth it is a matter of opinion. I happen to lean towards stratification based on ability.

Last edited by Jay (2011-08-03 15:46:17)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4852|Amsterdam
its the whole age/intellect ratio that bothers me.
Skipping classes is really difficult here.
here you have pre-school, elementary school, high school and then uni,college or do whatever you like.
Pre-school is done by most in 1 year, but they give certain children 2 years because theyre either young or not smart enough yet. After that point there is almost no way to get any form of intellectual lead on the rest no matter how smart you are.

Some skip 1 year in elementary, but thats only when theyre really smart and ahead and wen theyre older so the age difference wont be so big.
So someone like me (being born in june) would never be able to skip a class no matter how smart i would be because they would feel that the age difference would become to big.

Seems stupid.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kampframmer wrote:

here you have pre-school, elementary school, high school and then uni,college or do whatever you like.
Pre-school is done by most in 1 year, but they give certain children 2 years because theyre either young or not smart enough yet. After that point there is almost no way to get any form of intellectual lead on the rest no matter how smart you are.

Some skip 1 year in elementary, but thats only when theyre really smart and ahead and wen theyre older so the age difference wont be so big.
So someone like me (being born in june) would never be able to skip a class no matter how smart i would be because they would feel that the age difference would become to big.

Seems stupid.
A lot of that has to do with maturity though. A person may be more intelligent but be far behind in physical and emotional maturity. I remember there were a handful of people that had skipped a grade during my public school days, and they were all socially awkward and bullied because they were smaller.

This argument comes from Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers", yes?
-Frederick Bastiat
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4852|Amsterdam

Jay wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Seems stupid.
A lot of that has to do with maturity though. A person may be more intelligent but be far behind in physical and emotional maturity. I remember there were a handful of people that had skipped a grade during my public school days, and they were all socially awkward and bullied because they were smaller.

This argument comes from Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers", yes?
I'm not familiar with Outliers.

Its true that right now, people that skip a grade tend to be bullied, especially when theyre a lot younger than the rest, but thats because they are quite rar and often the only person in that class with an age difference.
But if they woudl switch all the classes around based on intellect (social skills should be involved in this progress, but thats quite hard to measure especially at a young age) then they wouldnt be considered a 'freak' because there would be many different age-groups in a class.
So i belive that the bullying has a lot to do with being different, rather than something specific like being younger.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6449|Brisbane, Australia

I guess I agree with the concept in general but there is a lot more going on at school than just getting marks in maths etc. The factory line comparison is quite intriguing.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6577|Mountains of NC

US school systems need to go on a year-around bases

45 days on 15 days off kinda deal but ultimately they should get no fucking time off but the weekend ........... I've got a fucking career, I don't get 3 weeks off for every 6 weeks

Last edited by SEREMAKER (2011-08-04 07:24:41)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
rdx-fx
+955|6601

SEREMAKER wrote:

45 days on 15 days off kinda deal but ultimately they should get no fucking time off but the weekend ........... I've got a fucking career, I don't get 3 weeks off for every 6 weeks
This would be a start.

You want 3 months of vacation a year, move to France.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6577|Mountains of NC

rdx-fx wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

This would be a start.

You want 3 months of vacation a year, move to France.
or become a teacher that isn't part of the year around schooling
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard