csmag
+92|6455|Canada

Shahter wrote:

holy macaroni, people, stop talking about stuff you don't know shit about. the k version only gets the unlocked multiplier. nothing else. the only thing an unlocked multiplier might allow you to do is continue overclocking your CPU past your RAM capabilities. that is, when you cannot raise FSB anymore, because you RAM won't work with that, you might still be able to get the effective CPU clocking higher using the multiplier. all this shit would only make sence for the most hardcore overclockers out there. ordinary people who simply look to build themselves a system to run stuff on shouldn't trouble themselves with this crap - if ever you decide to overclock your "normal" cpu, you'll still be able to, especially with the kind of memory listed in the OP. you won't be able to break any records, sure, but ask yourself - do you really want to? no? then don't bother with a cpu designed specifically for that.
I'm sure the OP is going to be happy when he can only up the bclock on his non-K i5 by 8 mhz . Non-K Sandy Bridge i5s will not overclock - do your research here.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia
with the appropriate RAM and cooling non-k i5's are easily overclockable past 4Ghz. do your own research.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
csmag
+92|6455|Canada

Shahter wrote:

with the appropriate RAM and cooling non-k i5's are easily overclockable past 4Ghz. do your own research.
Impossible, the multi is locked at 38x so thats 3.8 ghz max. You cant overclock by the bclock on sandy bridge because its tied to the pci clock which has no overclocking headroom.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia
that^ is not entirely true. most systems work at 105-108.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5758|شمال
Can we agree on: Yes you can OC non K models, but pretty limited?
...while a K model is born to be OC'd?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5796|Catherine Black
and having an unlocked multiplier and what have you is worth way more than the £10 price difference
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Sturgeon
+488|4949|Flintshire
Especially if you don't want to nor need to overclock and are on a budget
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

csmag wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Impossible, the multi is locked at 38x so thats 3.8 ghz max. You cant overclock by the bclock on sandy bridge because its tied to the pci clock which has no overclocking headroom.
im sat here with an i5 760 at 4Ghz stable and easy and ran 4.2Ghz for a while, too, but i had to turn my fans up too loud to deal with it
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
csmag
+92|6455|Canada

Shahter wrote:

Thats a pretty pittyful overclock no?
And Uzique you don't have one of the newer locked i5s so of course you can oc it.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia

Beduin wrote:

Can we agree on: Yes you can OC non K models, but pretty limited?
yes
...while a K model is born to be OC'd?
yes

csmag wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Thats a pretty pittyful overclock no?
if it gets you another 200-300 MHz, why not?
And Uzique you don't have one of the newer locked i5s so of course you can oc it.
this is true.

anyway, with sandy bridge intel did yet another dubious schtick with regards to overclocking, nobody's disputing that. but saying "you can't overclock a non-k cpu" is still wrong. you can.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard