Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
The father of a 20-year-old “gamer” – who died after playing a marathon session on his Xbox – has launched a campaign to raise awareness about the health risks of playing video games for extended periods of time.

An autopsy revealed that 20-year-old Chris Staniforth from the U.K. was killed by a pulmonary embolism, which is a condition that occurs when one or more arteries in your lungs become blocked.

In most cases this happens when a blood clot travels to your lungs from another part of the body – most commonly the deep veins of your legs. This is called deep vein thrombosis or DVT, according to the Mayo Clinic.

This is a condition that can occur in otherwise healthy people, just like Staniforth.

Risk factors include long periods of bed rest and sitting in a cramped position for an extended period of time. That’s why people are told to get up and walk around and stretch their legs when they’re on long flights.

Professor Brian Colvin – an expert on blood-related conditions – said it’s "unhealthy" for kids to spend long periods in front of their consoles.

"There's anxiety about obesity and children not doing anything other than looking at computer screens," he told The Sun.

Colvin and other medical experts are now urging kids to take regular breaks when they spend hours in front of their video consoles.

Staniforth’s father, David, is hoping this new campaign to warn parents about the dangers of these marathon video-gaming sessions will sink-in after the death of his son.

"Games are fun, and once you've started playing it's hard to stop,” he told the newspaper. “Kids all over the country are playing these games for long periods — they don't realize it could kill them.”

Staniforth, who had no underlying medical conditions, was complaining of a low heart rate before he collapsed. His father said his son would spent up to 12 hours a day playing his Xbox.

This isn’t the first death related to “gaming.” In 2005, a South Korean died after playing online games for three days without taking a break.

Microsoft – the manufacturer of the Xbox – said it "recommend gamers take breaks to exercise as well as make time for other pursuits."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/0 … z1TpRbcuOa

Shitty parent that allowed his kid to play video games for 12 hours a day wants to warn us of the dangers of marathon sessions? How about the dangers of being a shitty parent? Holy fuck.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
natural selection.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
RIP Mek
Tu Stultus Es
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Another article indicated that he was also fairly fat.
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire
Did he not need to go shit or piss?

inb4 southparkwow.jpg
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Sturgeon wrote:

inb4 southparkwow.jpg
Poopsock.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Ilocano wrote:

Another article indicated that he was also fairly fat.
12 hours a day in front of an xbox? Nowai!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire

Jay wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

inb4 southparkwow.jpg
Poopsock.
wtf did you just call me?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
How many lives does a Mek have?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City

Jay wrote:

Shitty parent that allowed his kid to play video games for 12 hours a day wants to warn us of the dangers of marathon sessions? How about the dangers of being a shitty parent? Holy fuck.
Exactly...

A women refuses to leave her toilet for two years and eventually dies there and the boyfriend gets arrested for not doing something to help. Meanwhile, this dude let his kid game from sleep to sleep apparently and they just want him to help warn others. I feel bad after a single marathon day of gaming, and I get about one of those a year (Usually right after CoD is released). The rest of the time, I play an hour here, or an hour there. My kids play their DS as much as I let them. They always want to play it... But I let them play it for a couple hours (which is a full charge) maximum on any given day, and usually only under special circumstances (like driving to grandma's house, two hours away). They get about one good game day per week, and only if they have had plenty of outside playtime and chores done.

I can't imagine wasting my life away playing video games, but even more, I can't imagine watching your kid do it and just sitting back and watching. What do you say? Wow, this kid is easy to raise? All I gotta do is have his electronics running and throw food in his room regularly... Dude, you don't need a kid, you need an effin fish.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
The parent should be charged with neglect.  At the same time, where's the warning to fat adults sitting on the couch all day watching tv?  Gamers are always the easy target.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438

Stingray24 wrote:

The parent should be charged with neglect.  At the same time, where's the warning to fat adults sitting on the couch all day watching tv?  Gamers are always the easy target.
The kid was 20 years old, he wasn't 11 or something.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

I doubt his dad would have let his son sit and play xbox all day if he knew it was going to kill him. He was letting his son do what he wanted to do. Its not like he was not feeding him or putting him in a dangerous household.

Son was killed in a motorcycle accident, Father should be changed with neglect for letting his son ride a motorcycle. Fucking shitty parents not holding their child's hand all throughout his life.

Hey 20 year old son can you make your bed and run around outside instead of playing your xbox. That would go over well.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

I don't believe he went 12 hours or the SK kid on 3 days straight
You're going to get up and take a piss or shit or get something to eat
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The kid was 20 years old, he wasn't 11 or something.
Exactly.

Bad parenting, pfft. You gonna blame any crime or misdemeanour by 20 year olds as "bad parenting"?
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
an adult died as a result of a fairly rare, freak occurance.  oh noes.  Unless his parents were seriously enabling him, to some kind of perverse, southparkwow level, it sounds like this man just drew a shitty card.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6779|Marathon, Florida Keys
i used to do 12 hours a day on bf2 all the time nonstop for 3 years. Fucking pussy ass bitch kid.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

eleven bravo wrote:

RIP Mek
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

i used to do 12 hours a day on bf2 all the time nonstop for 3 years. Fucking pussy ass bitch kid.
So HARDxCORE
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
What a dickhead.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6779|Marathon, Florida Keys

Lucien wrote:

So HARDxCORE
intarnatz warrior
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Not really something to brag about...
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
You know... It says 20-year-old twice in the first 2 paragraphs, and yet, I still misread the whole thing as a 12 year old, cause I saw the highlighted 12 first... I retract my earlier statement... The kid... No... The ADULT was a dumbass. Sorry... My bad.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
Somehow I also missed the age, I must be tired.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock

eleven bravo wrote:

RIP Mek

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard