Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

1.The ones who were supporting the cut didn't because they couldn't.
1. So they didn't do it. Glad we cleared that up.

2.This is why the vote to send troops in to action can never be underestimated. This is why if you're against the war it's important to hold everyone accountable for their votes of military action. It should never be an easy decision to put lives in danger.
2. Voting to send troops into action is not the same as reviewing the situation years after the event and questioning the writing of endless blank cheques. Rumsfeld promised it would be over in a few weeks and cost next to nothing IIRC.

Years later, when they found they've been misled over the reasons, a quick cheap invasion has turned into a decade long multi-trillion dollar quagmire, people are allowed to revise their position without being accused of being traitors who would dance on the graves of the troops.

Cutting funding doesn't even necessarily 'put lives at risk', thats GOP hyperbole, it just requires the military to adjust the tempo of their operations.

Keep setting them up. I'll keep knocking them down.
Always funny.
1. Intent matters.

2. You don't really buy the "misled" defense do you? Those same democrats decrying they were misled sat in on the same intel meetings as the GOP did. They were proclaiming Saddam was a threat long before Bush was in office. In fact I suggest you read up on the Carter doctrine which essentially said, "yea, we'll go to war for oil". Then go ahead and consider the fact Clinton also attacked Iraq under the guise of developing WMD's. Claiming they were duped in to supporting the war is even something the Dems don't stand by anymore. The reality is not only did the Dems support the war, they laid the ground for the invasion. You need to revise your talking points Dilbert. They're way outdated man.

When you consider that the troops were not properly supplied to begin with, cutting funding absolutely puts lives at risk.

You're so committed to attacking one side that you're still not getting the larger point. Which happens to be considerably more sinister then Bush being the devil for shits and giggles.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lets see the figures, I bet it hasn't.

Compare and contrast with govt spending on the military and private investment in technology generally.
Consider all of the jobs that have been created from NASA spinoff technology.
Let me give you a quick handful of products NASA has had a role in developing.
  • Implantable Heart Aid
  • Cardiac Imaging System
  • Laser Angioplasty
  • Thermal Video
  • Blood Analyzer
  • X-Ray Imaging System
  • Collision Avoidance System
  • Air/Wastewater Purification Systems
  • Solar Energy
  • Cordless tools
  • Memory Metals
  • Heart Rate Monitor
  • Water Filter/Conditioner
  • Digital Image Processing
  • Laser Technology
  • Satellite Dish
  • Advanced Plastics
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Thermal Gloves and Boots

.. and on and on and on.
Now consider all of the taxes paid as a result of those jobs that manufacture, use, and sell those products everyday. It's exceedingly obvious that NASA pays for itself.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Nice op kmar, too bad it got fucked up by the daily show watchers.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6408|Germany
to the OP

Today I read an article in a German newspaper. It said that the major problem at the moment aren't the different opinions between Democrats and Republicans, but the different opinions within the GOP. Apparently there is a guy called Eric Cantor who is quite close to the Tea Party Movement who only wants to get publicity for his side without really thinking about the real problems.
It said in the article that normally dems and reps would find a solution every side could live with, but this is prevented by these ultra-conservatives. Can anybody confirm whether that article is right or not?

I for one can't understand that the budget ceiling hasn't been raised long ago. Obviously it isn't the problems solution, but neither cuts in social programs nor taxing the rich are. Yet, the negative effects if nothing is done are in my opinion far greater.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

mr.hrundi wrote:

to the OP

Today I read an article in a German newspaper. It said that the major problem at the moment aren't the different opinions between Democrats and Republicans, but the different opinions within the GOP. Apparently there is a guy called Eric Cantor who is quite close to the Tea Party Movement who only wants to get publicity for his side without really thinking about the real problems.
It said in the article that normally dems and reps would find a solution every side could live with, but this is prevented by these ultra-conservatives. Can anybody confirm whether that article is right or not?

I for one can't understand that the budget ceiling hasn't been raised long ago. Obviously it isn't the problems solution, but neither cuts in social programs nor taxing the rich are. Yet, the negative effects if nothing is done are in my opinion far greater.
Compromise in this case means kicking the debt can down the road... again, instead of dealing with the issues. Raising the debt ceiling and passing a budget is the easy path. The consequences will be felt long after the current administration is out of office. Our government needs to be fixed and its spending reigned in. This showdown is 30 years in the making. Your own country is well down this path already. Your economy looks strong now but your debt sits at 80% of GDP. That's unsustainable.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

Kmar wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lets see the figures, I bet it hasn't.

Compare and contrast with govt spending on the military and private investment in technology generally.
Consider all of the jobs that have been created from NASA spinoff technology.
Let me give you a quick handful of products NASA has had a role in developing.
  • Implantable Heart Aid
  • Cardiac Imaging System
  • Laser Angioplasty
  • Thermal Video
  • Blood Analyzer
  • X-Ray Imaging System
  • Collision Avoidance System
  • Air/Wastewater Purification Systems
  • Solar Energy
  • Cordless tools
  • Memory Metals
  • Heart Rate Monitor
  • Water Filter/Conditioner
  • Digital Image Processing
  • Laser Technology
  • Satellite Dish
  • Advanced Plastics
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Thermal Gloves and Boots

.. and on and on and on.
Now consider all of the taxes paid as a result of those jobs that manufacture, use, and sell those products everyday. It's exceedingly obvious that NASA pays for itself.
And where's the proof that NASA provides a better Return/Tax $ than other forms of govt spending?

'Advanced Plastics' - They'd never have been developed without NASA
Applies to many of the other items you mentioned
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6408|Germany

Jay wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

to the OP

Compromise in this case means kicking the debt can down the road... again, instead of dealing with the issues. Raising the debt ceiling and passing a budget is the easy path. The consequences will be felt long after the current administration is out of office. Our government needs to be fixed and its spending reigned in. This showdown is 30 years in the making. Your own country is well down this path already. Your economy looks strong now but your debt sits at 80% of GDP. That's unsustainable.
It's true that there is no easy solution. It's only that from my (european) perspective it seems like that everybody knows that there is real trouble ahead but that nobody knows how to deal with it. The only thing every party or political organization seems to care about right now is to make it look like that it's the other's side fault, only to get elected in the next election, when the whole crap will start over again, only with the protagonists switched.
Here in Europe we currently also have problems with some states (Greece, Portugal, Ireland etc.) but there seems to be a broad consensus over all moderate parties on the fact that they must help (they don't know how to do it though). I don't have the feeling that any group wants to use the situation for its own advantage.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
This, basically, is the problem with the American two-party system.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Nice op kmar, too bad it got fucked up by the daily show watchers.
I thought the post about spinoff technology was particularly informative.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yes, because having even narrower viewpoints is what we need. Who is unrepresented under the current system?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Dunno, anyone who doesn't like either of the parties?

Could be why turnout is so low.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So what is standing in the way of a third party? Talking point with zero substance, the dilbert special. I feel honored.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The US democratic system, its why you haven't had a third party in 200 years.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
basically admitting you dont know everything about our system
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whatever, no third party has made a shred of progress in 200 years, the system just suits two parties.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The American populace clearly desires two parties. They are both umbrellas that pretty much represent everyone. Gun rights? Vote Republican. We don't need a distinct party to represent gun rights. Abortion? Same thing. The vast majority of Americans are single issue voters. Someone that cares enough about abortion to vote based on that issue generally doesn't give a fig about economics.

Like I said, you're all talking point, zero substance.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
the way the republicans have been acting these last few years have ensured my future vote going somewhere else
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

the way the republicans have been acting these last few years have ensured my future vote going somewhere else
I'm no fan of the temper tantrums or the social conservatism, but this country can't handle anymore of the Keynesian economics his administration pushes. Obama and Bernanke need to be shown the door.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
eric cantor looks as bad of douchebag as really is.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

eric cantor looks as bad of douchebag as really is.
Perhaps, but in this instance he is right. Raising taxes is not an option. They need to gut social security, medicare and the military.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
taxes are the lowest theyve been in 60 years
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
I disgaree jay, youre stuck on your ayn randism
Tu Stultus Es
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5970|...

mr.hrundi wrote:

It's true that there is no easy solution. It's only that from my (european) perspective it seems like that everybody knows that there is real trouble ahead but that nobody knows how to deal with it.
Healthcare is issue #1 that needs to be tackled in European countries. Our national statistics bureau calculated that the healthcare budget has had an average growth of 8% annually for the last 35 years & the budget has been growing faster each year. That's absolutely unsustainable, I'm sure the politicians know about that but what can you do? Expanding the healthcare budget and welfare state has been -the- major talking point for many, many parties in parliament for decades. Thus far it has been made possible at the expense of national security & by raising taxes continually.

mr.hrundi wrote:

The only thing every party or political organization seems to care about right now is to make it look like that it's the other's side fault, only to get elected in the next election, when the whole crap will start over again, only with the protagonists switched.
Welcome to politics

mr.hrundi wrote:

Here in Europe we currently also have problems with some states (Greece, Portugal, Ireland etc.) but there seems to be a broad consensus over all moderate parties on the fact that they must help (they don't know how to do it though). I don't have the feeling that any group wants to use the situation for its own advantage.
Meh. Long before the euro was adopted by many EU countries economists & political advisors knew that if they wanted the currency to be stable and truly succesful the EU was going to need a finance ministry and national governments would have to be stripped of some of their functions. Due to the reluctance of member states to relinquish any power whatsoever to the EU - Greece, Portugal etc were allowed to happen. Now the politicians of all the 'stable' member states have been trying to shift the blame on the failing countries while actually it was made possible by their complacency & subsequent inaction. They ignored all warnings they were given, it was bound to happen and now we're in a mess.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

I disgaree jay, youre stuck on your ayn randism
I'm not stuck on anything. Social Security and Medicare are godawful programs, not because of philosophical reasons, but because of the way they are set up. Take care of old people? That's fine. But they set up the system so that current revenue pays out to current beneficiaries. We're about to be in a situation where we have more people retired than we have in the work force. Each one of us is going to be supporting like 1.5 retirees and providing them with monthly checks and checkups. It's too fucking expensive. The money that was taken in should've been dumped into individual retirement accounts that are invested. I don't care if the investment is in treasury bonds or in the stock market, but the way it is set up now is as a ponzi scheme rather than the pension system it should've been. Don't take that for a talking point either, I barely pay attention to politics, it's just common sense.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
ann coulter said those exact same words on bill maher last week.
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard