Benzin
+576|5988
Bought a few games on Steam today and the download servers are SLOOOOOOOOW. Guess what with the sales and everything, EVERYONE is installing their new purchases immediately... I just wanna play one game! lol

Holy crap on a cracker! I'm not even downloading at 1KB/s at the moment. WTF Steam?

Last edited by CapnNismo (2011-07-02 12:09:49)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6680|Devon, England
Mine was stuck at 30kbps, but I restarted and deleted the blob file and am now on a solid 100kbps
Benzin
+576|5988
I finally got mine finished. I'll remember that tip for next time, though, thanks. Bought Just Cause 1 and 2 and CS: Source today. I haven't played CS 1.6 in so long and now starting fresh on Source is weird. Just played for a bit on Assault and got my ass handed to me...
Benzin
+576|5988
Just bought AvP 2010 for €5, normally €20. Fucking Steam is really lightening my wallet but hell, I've gotten 4 games already for the average price of 1!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6459
my processor idles at like 60 degrees but i'm way too lazy to remove it and reseat the heatsink / reapply thermal paste

i think it definitely came loose in transit home, and so needs to have the contact remade. but literally out of all my hardware tasks, dealing with the heatsink is my most troublesome...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FFLink
There is.
Ugh, you're lucky it's at 60.

My room is so fucking hot. Idles at 70 and peaks at 90-100 sometimes (If I forget to turn on Awesome Mode).

And I'm too lazy to change all my shit around to put my PC in the coolest place.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6459
my room at home-home is definitely a lot warmer than my previous room at university... down there i had a huge 3-side bay window that my computer desktop was sat in, which was always very cold and had a great airflow because of its location (complete opposite side of room to heating/radiators, too). but it's a little alarming that it has jumped up 10-15 degrees at idle temps... will probably have to reseat it at some point. anything over 80 on load is pretty harmful, long-term, afaik.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6731|London

just reformatted my pc and cleaned all the dust out

the fans sound much quieter now
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Benzin
+576|5988

Dauntless wrote:

just reformatted my pc and cleaned all the dust out

the fans sound much quieter now
I need to clear the dust out of my fans, too. Weekend project, no time any evenings this week with this new job...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6590|132 and Bush

FFLink wrote:

So lately on my Twitter account, somehow "I" am posting spam ads.

I don't "Tweet", I just stalk famous people whose words I care to hear, so I don't really know if this is normal or if I've been targetted somehow.

I'm very security aware, too, so I'd be pissed if somehow my Twitter account has been compromised as this would be the first of probably hundreds of accounts.

Any help, please?
Dumb question but I have to ask. You're not using a dictionary based password are you? Last I checked Twitter does not protect against brute force attacks. (No lock out after unsuccessful attempts). Foxnewpolitics just got hacked and I suspect that is why.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FFLink
There is.
No, my own completely unique password combination of numbers and and letters.

I changed it to a new password, anyway.

So far so good...
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6163|Sydney | ♥

Uzique wrote:

my processor idles at like 60 degrees but i'm way too lazy to remove it and reseat the heatsink / reapply thermal paste

i think it definitely came loose in transit home, and so needs to have the contact remade. but literally out of all my hardware tasks, dealing with the heatsink is my most troublesome...
Ergh, Especially if you use a stock heat sink.

Those clips are a joke.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6764|Moscow, Russia

FFLink wrote:

So far so good...
then it's most likely a trojan / keylogger on one of the machines from which you accessed your twitter account. time to check.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Benzin
+576|5988

FFLink wrote:

So far so good...
You might also want to see what apps you have given access to your Twitter account. Could be likely that one of those got hacked.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6459

tazz. wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Those clips are a joke.
nah this is a noctua. but still those annoying clips. any accidental nudge to my tower when i'm sat in my chair and you can guarantee at least 1/2 of the corners will become disloged, making the heatsink fan 25-50% shittier at its job/contact.
alexb
<3
+590|5929|Kentucky, USA

Uzique wrote:

tazz. wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Those clips are a joke.
nah this is a noctua. but still those annoying clips. any accidental nudge to my tower when i'm sat in my chair and you can guarantee at least 1/2 of the corners will become disloged, making the heatsink fan 25-50% shittier at its job/contact.
Then they're improperly installed.
FFLink
There is.

Shahter wrote:

FFLink wrote:

So far so good...
then it's most likely a trojan / keylogger on one of the machines from which you accessed your twitter account. time to check.
I have all my scans going at every morning (6am), but I shall do a full scan now you've mentioned it.

This really didn't even occur to me - I'm quite security conscious.

CapnNismo wrote:

FFLink wrote:

So far so good...
You might also want to see what apps you have given access to your Twitter account. Could be likely that one of those got hacked.
Unless there are any 'installed' by default, I assume I have none.

I just made it, followed a few people and left it at that.
Benzin
+576|5988
And if your account was hacked, it might have been paired up with some spamming apps. Again, check your apps list.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5739|شمال
https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Middleeaster/IMG_7216.jpg
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Benzin
+576|5988
noice
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6459
i had those speakers. they sucked.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4831|Amsterdam
I got this 2tb external drive and it started to make strange sounds.
Its like theres an elf with a typewriter in there, typing real slow and short sentences.
*click click click click slide click click click click slide click click click click slide* and so on and on and on.
So it strated doing that and now it stopped working. Pretty fucked up.
Anyone know what it is?

I would really love to be able to recover the files on there. The drive itself isnt that important, it stil has a 1 year warranty i believe.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4831|Amsterdam
i think i'll take it to the stre tomorrow, see what they can do.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6459

Kampframmer wrote:

I got this 2tb external drive and it started to make strange sounds.
Its like theres an elf with a typewriter in there, typing real slow and short sentences.
*click click click click slide click click click click slide click click click click slide* and so on and on and on.
So it strated doing that and now it stopped working. Pretty fucked up.
Anyone know what it is?

I would really love to be able to recover the files on there. The drive itself isnt that important, it stil has a 1 year warranty i believe.
clicks of death. this is the platter inside your hard-drive failing. back it up immediately and prepare to say your last goodbyes.

i would say unplug it and save it but i can't even guarantee that would do any benefit. i've unplugged an external when it went into those death-knells before and then it... wouldn't start up again at all. my best advice is to just start backing up all of your stuff any way that you can right now. don't take the hard-drive to a store (removing it and transporting it may just be that little bit too much)... just get a means to copy your data and DO IT. i've had the death clicks loads of times with different hard-drives... sometimes they stumbled on at about 25% performance, super slow, for about 3 months... other times i've had about 2-3 days before it just fails.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4957|Dundee, Scotland.
freezer. now.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard