prototype
+52|6281
long story short....I have a cable connection and I am the admin

I share this connection with my room mates and i want to limit the amount/speed of their connection

I have a stock netgear router that came with the cable subscription for which I am the superuser

I want to be able to limit their bandwidth abilties so they stop slowing me down while i am playing BC2

I dont want to cut them off but I am almost at that point, I would rather just limit what they can use so it doesnt slow me down

anyone know how I can do this ?

I am a notso novice with computers

thanks for any input
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Yeah, because you playing a video game is way more important than whatever the hell they're doing, right? Get a life.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
prototype
+52|6281
I pay for the cable connection so theres that plus all my room mates do is browse the web/email etc
prototype
+52|6281

Jay wrote:

Yeah, because you playing a video game is way more important than whatever the hell they're doing, right? Get a life.
you dont play video games ?
you are posting on a video game forum
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Jay wrote:

What an obnoxious comment to make. Limiting any reputably high speed connection to play games online is not going to harm other people's web browsing whatsoever. They quite probably won't even notice a difference while someone watching a youtube video can fuck up a game totally without QoS.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
do they pay or get it for free?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

OP:

QoS, as said before. No idea if your router supports it from what information has been given, though.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Why not use OpenDNS and just restrict the bandwidth hogging sites?
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Kmar wrote:

^ the thinker
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
i use netlimiter
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

QoS as said before. If your router doesn't support it, check to see if you can run DD-WRT or Tomato on the router. They will give you loads and load of options to muck about with the connection.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

max wrote:

QoS as said before. If your router doesn't support it, check to see if you can run DD-WRT or Tomato on the router. They will give you loads and load of options to muck about with the connection.
https://i.imgur.com/nN0EO.png

Never used it though, as my internet seems to do just fine for the 3 people in the house

20mbit down // 1mbit up.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6561|Reisterstown, MD

Kmar wrote:

I use this to limit website activity at some clients I have.

As others have mentioned, you can use QoS.  Most routers have a setting that can be configured.

Last edited by killer21 (2011-06-30 06:18:56)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DUnlimited wrote:

Jay wrote:

What an obnoxious comment to make. Limiting any reputably high speed connection to play games online is not going to harm other people's web browsing whatsoever. They quite probably won't even notice a difference while someone watching a youtube video can fuck up a game totally without QoS.
And my point is, what makes that youtube less important than the video game? Frankly, if I found out someone was limiting my bandwidth so they could play a video game I'd probably kick their no life ass. Get over yourself.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

It makes sense to prioritize low latency low bandwidth apps over stuff like youtube where a couple ms extra latency make no difference whatsoever. A properly done QoS will have next to no negative impact on normal web activity and make gaming and other low latency stuff possible.

Last edited by max (2011-06-30 07:38:28)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

Gaming bandwidth is VERY minimal. It only requires a small amount, that, if prioritised, would mean not only does the applications of another node not hog the network, but also provide a balanced environment.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

Think of it like this,

fuck i'll even make an image for you

https://i.imgur.com/iM1TD.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Hey, thanks asshole. I'm not an electrical engineer with years of telecom experience or anything...
-Frederick Bastiat
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

Oh, sorry, i thought you didn't know
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tazz. wrote:

So you're the big swinging dick tech guy on this dead forum. Cool. Carry on.
-Frederick Bastiat
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

Jay wrote:

tazz. wrote:

I think the term you are seeking is knowledgeable.

It's also note worthy that I don't talk shit without backed up reason and fundamental understanding, to which you have proven that otherwise is an embarrassment.

Last edited by tazz. (2011-06-30 09:06:29)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tazz. wrote:

Jay wrote:

tazz. wrote:

I think the term you are seeking is knowledgeable.

It's also note worthy that I don't talk shit without backed up reason and fundamental understanding, to which you have proven is an embarrassment.
Hardly. I'm well aware of how packet switching occurs. I just had a problem with a selfish no life having a negative impact on his roommates so he could burrow even further into his antisocial coccoon. The fact that the rest of you were cheering him on is what i found most disturbing. Go outside.
-Frederick Bastiat
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6555|England

prototype wrote:

I pay for the cable connection so theres that plus all my room mates do is browse the web/email etc
Doesn't seem like that selfish a guy if he pays for the connection.  I'd say it's his right to do what he wants with it.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

Jay wrote:

negative impact
This is where I disagree, and have also outlined in the image above.

Who are you to question and further remark anyone's preference in how and why they live their life.

Live and let live, brother.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KingCheese wrote:

prototype wrote:

Doesn't seem like that selfish a guy if he pays for the connection.  I'd say it's his right to do what he wants with it.
If he pays for the entire thing, I would have no problem with shutting down their link completely while he plays. I seriously doubt he pays the entire bill though. In that case, all he deserves is equal access, not priority.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard