Reciprocity
+721|6733|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Clash of the titans(2010)   1/10

-one of the shittiest movies I've ever seen.  I never had high expectations but the plot and script were just fucking terrible.  But this was an action movie so a nonsensical plot and flat out confusing dialog could be forgiven if the action was actually decent.  The action was just as bad as the plot.  battlefield earth is a slightly better movie than this piece of shit.  The 1/10 is just for the visuals.

Super 8  7/10

-fun movie for what is was: a deliberate homage to Spielberg's late 70's/early 80's alien/kid adventure shit.  Abrams is a Mediocre director who'd be better off cutting his teeth on the new Star Trek property(which is mostly just a Star Trek shell filled with the snarky light funness of Whedons's Firefly/Serenity).  This was a fun but forgettable movie from a forgettable director.  I'd like to see what someone like Tarantino or Boyle could do with the genre.  Hell, I think it'd be fun to see what Spielberg could do with it 30 years later, as more than just a producer.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4995|Amsterdam

Macbeth wrote:

Inception 9/10

Different, creative, and smart. Greatest movie eva mindfuck zomg? No.

I remember when the movie came out people were posting graphs to explain the continuity of the movie and other things and were going on about much of a mindfuck the movie was supposed to be. I went in thinking I would be amazed by it but I'm kinda disappointed. The plot wasn't difficult to follow and was kinda contrived at points. Don't get me wrong it was very entertaining and a great movie but a little bit overrated.
yah i had teh same thing.
I really liked it but i dont see why so many people found it hard to understand. It was pretty simple, they just made it look really complex.
jord
+2,382|6831|The North, beyond the wall.

Kampframmer wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Inception 9/10

I remember when the movie came out people were posting graphs to explain the continuity of the movie and other things and were going on about much of a mindfuck the movie was supposed to be. I went in thinking I would be amazed by it but I'm kinda disappointed. The plot wasn't difficult to follow and was kinda contrived at points. Don't get me wrong it was very entertaining and a great movie but a little bit overrated.
I really liked it but i dont see why so many people found it hard to understand. It was pretty simple, they just made it look really complex.
Agreed, I had a friend say she didn't get it. It was pretty simple really.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6344|Roma

Uzique wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Schindlers List - 9/10
Brilliant film, some scenes very similar to 'the pianist' near the beginning, which I saw a few weeks ago, but then takes you in completely.
and it's fucking spielberg's fault for making his film 9 years before The Pianist?
yeah the pianist is a derivative piece of shit that doesn't come close to schindler's list
Yeah that came out wrong. I was thinking ahead of myself. Meant to say it was loooong but takes you in completely in the second half.
I was just comparing to 'the Pianist' as a separate thought.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6344|Roma

jord wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Inception 9/10

Didn't people find the Matrix hard to follow? I think I watched it when I was 12 with no problem and remember thinking I must have missed some part.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
jord
+2,382|6831|The North, beyond the wall.

PrivateVendetta wrote:

jord wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Didn't people find the Matrix hard to follow? I think I watched it when I was 12 with no problem and remember thinking I must have missed some part.
I used to watch it when I was 12 just for the action, I never "got" it. Then I turned 14.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4995|Amsterdam

jord wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

jord wrote:

I used to watch it when I was 12 just for the action, I never "got" it. Then I turned 14.
Yeah matrix was the exact same thing. used some fancy words and cgi to make ir look complex, but it was very simple. Both are very good movies imo, dont get me wrong. But the way people reacted to it and how complex it was and hard to get was just retarded.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6152|...

Kampframmer wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Inception 9/10

I don't think it's nolan's best either, that one goes to the dark knight imo. fantastic film.
inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4995|Amsterdam
You know.. i gave the phantom of the opera an 8, but i cant help but regret giving it that score.

Its a 9/10
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4995|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Inception 9/10

I don't think it's nolan's best either, that one goes to the dark knight imo. fantastic film.
yeah TDK was better than inception, but that was also because tdk had a much stronger cast (no, im not just talking about derp derp y so srs heath ledger)
restrepo - 7/10
the kids are allright - 8/10 almost a mindfuck movie
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6890|Oxferd Ohire

Kampframmer wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

yeah TDK was better than inception, but that was also because tdk had a much stronger cast (no, im not just talking about derp derp y so srs heath ledger)
and just like inception its only really good the first time
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6894|OctoLand
Black Swan - 9/10

Waited a while to watch this (let the hype die down), knew nothing about it apart from the ballet theme and Portman in the lead. Really not what I expected, It's disturbing, very intense and beautifully filmed, and leaves you with a lot to ponder. I'll definitely give it another watch, there are certainly a lot of theories flying around, especially with regards to the relationship with her mother.

What struck me most was what an amazing job Aronofsky does of taking the viewer inside the world of a ballet dancer. We see nothing else but the dark stages, the intense training and atmosphere, and then Nina's problems at home in between that, and of course all the problems in Nina's mind. We see almost nothing of the outside world( apart from the bar scene) and that helps so much in relating to Nina's worsening psychological problems. One of the filsm that leaves you feeling pretty drained afterwards.

Gotta say also, a lot of people are giving Portman stick because of revelations that a lot of the dance scenes were done with a body double, some even calling for her oscar to be retracted. Honestly I don't care if she didn't do one single bit of dancing, it's her brilliant expressions and emotional displays that won her the oscar, nothing to do with dancing. She was amazing.

Last edited by justice (2011-06-20 21:05:16)

I know fucking karate
jsnipy
+3,276|6675|...

still have yet to see that. looking forward
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4995|Amsterdam

RTHKI wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Shocking wrote:

and just like inception its only really good the first time
I have the ability to watch almost every movie a 100000x times, so that wasnt a problem to me.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6623

justice wrote:

Black Swan - 9/10

Waited a while to watch this (let the hype die down), knew nothing about it apart from the ballet theme and Portman in the lead. Really not what I expected, It's disturbing, very intense and beautifully filmed, and leaves you with a lot to ponder. I'll definitely give it another watch, there are certainly a lot of theories flying around, especially with regards to the relationship with her mother.

What struck me most was what an amazing job Aronofsky does of taking the viewer inside the world of a ballet dancer. We see nothing else but the dark stages, the intense training and atmosphere, and then Nina's problems at home in between that, and of course all the problems in Nina's mind. We see almost nothing of the outside world( apart from the bar scene) and that helps so much in relating to Nina's worsening psychological problems. One of the filsm that leaves you feeling pretty drained afterwards.

Gotta say also, a lot of people are giving Portman stick because of revelations that a lot of the dance scenes were done with a body double, some even calling for her oscar to be retracted. Honestly I don't care if she didn't do one single bit of dancing, it's her brilliant expressions and emotional displays that won her the oscar, nothing to do with dancing. She was amazing.
it's a great film as far as cinematography goes, but not a great advance on anything aronofsky has done before. but that's fine, i like the way he's developing his work with a cohesive auteur identity.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6893
Blubberella

Don't ask 0/10
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6845
Precious

what a fucked up movie

7/10
HITNRUNXX
+220|6862|Oklahoma City
Ok, after seeing the last few pages of "ratings" let me explain how *I* rate movies...

On a scale of 1-10.
10 equals perfect. There is NOTHING about this movie I would change.
5 equals ok. I am left with a blah feeling. Not like I wasted my time, really, but not like I gained anything from it either.
1 equals no redeeming value whatsoever.

Therefore, most movies I like will be a 6-7. Something that really impresses me will be an 8. A 9 would be something that amazed or blew me away. Out of thousands and thousands of movies, there might be 2 10s.

Most movies I dislike will be a 3-4. If I really hate it, and was a total waste of my time, it will get a 2. If there was nothing whatsoever I liked in it, not a single funny scene, cool action shot, or at least a hot chick to look at, making it slightly more bearable, it will get a 1. Out of thousands and thousands of movies, there are maybe 3 movies with a 1.

Ok, now that is out of the way:

Hall Pass:
3/10 - I actually ended up hating the characters in this movie by the time it was over. What a bunch of douchebags. When will the movie industry figure out that in order to make someone LIKE your character, he needs to have some kind of redeeming value, and probably be somewhat nice to people... Not just say wittier mean things about everyone they know. Dude, if you hate your friends, quit doing stuff with them, get knew friends, don't just walk around and talk about them behind their back all freaking day... Blah. This movie actually managed to put me in a bad mood. Comedies shouldn't do that. Plus the random crap like "Oh look, lets have a 30 second shot of this guy's penis for no reason" or "the movie isn't interesting enough, let's add a psychotic guy for no reason." BLAH. BLAH I SAY.

Battle Los Angeles:
8/10 - Wow... I was impressed. I thought this was going to be another crappy sci-fi wannabe shootem-up ala Skyline. But the characters in this movie actually had depth. The acting was great. The special effects were impressive. I don't want to say too much for those of you that haven't seen it, but it was MUCH better than I thought possible.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I really thought this would be a bunch of humans running around, no aliens actually ever really seen, just some shaky news footage, no interaction with the aliens, no actual combat scenarios, but it was actually done REALLY well. I was amazed at the combat mentality of this movie... I could see this being exactly how it happened in real life... With the only exception of: I would expect the alien tech to be good enough that they didn't miss as much... They were lousy shots. lol
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4995|Amsterdam
How am i supposed to take your rating system seriously when you give Battle:LA an 8?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5738

I give Fight Club an 8. My favorite movie sure. Different and unique? Yes. But fantastic? No. Battle: LA is no fight club.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6862|Oklahoma City
I was really impressed by it. You don't have to be. If I thought it were good for all people it would be a 9. It isn't. I don't think everyone will enjoy it. But I really did. The humanity side of the movie was amazing.

Meanwhile, Fight Club was different and unique. And slow as hell.

To each his own.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6623
fight club was 'slow'? do you think michael bay is this generation's film genius?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6837|United States of America

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

restrepo - 7/10
the kids are allright - 8/10 almost a mindfuck movie
I thought you were talking about The Kids Are Alright for a minute. Didn't make sense cause I don't reckon you're a Who fan (though Tommy is out there).
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6301|'straya

Kampframmer wrote:

How am i supposed to take your rating system seriously when you give Battle:LA an 8?
This.

That film had TERRIBLE acting, about every Cliché possible, terrible plot. The only things that weren't completely terrible were some of the helicopter/mass attack scenes, but you might as well just watch the trailer and save 90 minutes of your life.

Admittedly it was better than Skyline and a few others of that genre, but that's like saying "Oh good I have the best type of cancer".

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-06-21 17:42:27)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard