11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
No point for a lot of people to go there anymore I reckon. 

"The Dutch government on Friday said it would start banning tourists from buying cannabis from "coffee shops" and impose restrictions on Dutch customers by the end of the year."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110527/wl_ … h_cannabis
11 Bravo
Banned
what does this say about pot?  i mean one of the most liberal places for pot is laying the smack down.  and we here in the US are trying to free its use.  confusing.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Probably to stop the drug trafficking... lots of people go there and try to smuggle it back from wherever it came from.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

what does this say about pot?  i mean one of the most liberal places for pot is laying the smack down.  and we here in the US are trying to free its use.  confusing.
My personal view is some of the strict laws the US has regarding drug use and possession are too draconian. Users and small time dealers should not get harsh penalties nor mandatory minimum sentencing, it just ends up costing the tax payer more money and makes more people part of the criminal justice system. Big time dealers, sure, throw the book at them. The police force could be better focussed on catching the bigger fish than trying to bust anyone with a bag of pot.

Spearhead" wrote:

Probably to stop the drug trafficking... lots of people go there and try to smuggle it back from wherever it came from.
Wouldn't use in a cafe restrict smuggling though? I don't know how it works but from friends who have been there you order and smoke in the cafe, not buying it in bulk to take some home.
Wreckognize
+294|6455
I like how they're trying to fight crime by creating an illegal underground market.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
the cockroach wilders. still, am sure you can get what ever you want in holland as a tourist.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
I guess I might have to go this year instead of next then.

Gonna hit their economy I bet.
CC-Marley
+407|6798
18 year old Hot Asian girls??
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Spearhead wrote:

More likely they don't want low-grade tourists coming to their country to take drugs.
I doubt they give a toss about drugs being shipped abroad, other than the pressure they come under from other countries.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Benzin
+576|5968
Yea, Wilders is a right git. He's probably one of the most hardcore right wingers in all of Europe and he's in power...

Jaekus: You can buy bags of weed and take it home with you for personal consumption. You don't have to buy it and keep it there. Certainly you can buy prerolled joints (€3.50 for a 50/50 and €6 for a pure was the going rate when I was there in March 2008), but it's not required.

Amsterdam is an awesome city, though, and you should go there but not for the drugs. It's one of those cities where you can truly feel the history everywhere around you.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2011-05-28 01:10:07)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
I actually dont give a shit.

I find it fun that we have something that other countries dont and that were known for it, but on the other hand, i find it annoying that its drugs and that lots of people come here only to smoke weed and fuck hookers.
11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

More likely they don't want low-grade tourists coming to their country to take drugs.
I doubt they give a toss about drugs being shipped abroad, other than the pressure they come under from other countries.
but tbh not too many people would otherwise go there.  ive been there and its a cool place, but im not a pothead.  so, i bet they would take a big hit in money.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

11 Bravo wrote:

No point for a lot of people to go there anymore I reckon. 

"The Dutch government on Friday said it would start banning tourists from buying cannabis from "coffee shops" and impose restrictions on Dutch customers by the end of the year."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110527/wl_ … h_cannabis
o_O wut.

Spearhead" wrote:

Wouldn't use in a cafe restrict smuggling though? I don't know how it works but from friends who have been there you order and smoke in the cafe, not buying it in bulk to take some home.
Can also just buy it and take it with you. You don't actually have to smoke inside the cafe.

Last edited by RDMC (2011-05-28 07:37:49)

menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6416|Amsterdam‫
the big cities will probably ignore the rule, like they always do. they dont want to lose al the tourism.

it is more of a thing for town at the border so ppl dont smuggle it to germany etc
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Whilst I can't say it affects me one way or the other, it seems utterly stupid in terms of the damage it will do to tourism, and flies in the face of everything that Amsterdam and Portugal have shown about effective drug policy.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

but tbh not too many people would otherwise go there.  ive been there and its a cool place, but im not a pothead.  so, i bet they would take a big hit in money.
I agree. I think a lot of their tourist dollars come from the fact you can legally smoke pot in a cafe - it certainly has it's own niche in this regard that makes it world famous as a result.
Wreckognize
+294|6455
No ones gonna wanna see the Ann Frank house sober.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

if they shut down the hookers down, consider it a ghost town
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Blue Herring
+13|4774
It's things like this that make it difficult for me to consider myself a conservative.

How can one be for self responsibility while simultaneously pushing more and more moral babysitting of people's lives?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Blue Herring wrote:

It's things like this that make it difficult for me to consider myself a conservative.

How can one be for self responsibility while simultaneously pushing more and more moral babysitting of people's lives?
Because you are a conservative, it's just the people who are loudest on the subject and people in office who aren't true conservatives.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

I don't see the two being related: legalization of marijuana in this country and the crack down on it Amsterdam. Like others have said it is probably to keep crime from outsiders/smugglers out of their country.

I think when you spend most of your life being told something is wrong, it is earth shattering to accept anything else. Let's face most of have been handed the majority of our thinking (parents, military, etc).
11 Bravo
Banned

jsnipy wrote:

I don't see the two being related: legalization of marijuana in this country and the crack down on it Amsterdam. Like others have said it is probably to keep crime from outsiders/smugglers out of their country.
you dont see the relation between one of the most liberal pot cultures in the west cracking down and our country trying to be more liberal about it?  so say we legalize it.  wouldnt we then get the smugglers/outsiders then?
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

11 Bravo wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

you dont see the relation between one of the most liberal pot cultures in the west cracking down and our country trying to be more liberal about it?  so say we legalize it.  wouldnt we then get the smugglers/outsiders then?
I think we would see less smugglers/pot related criminals. I imagine the USA is biggest customer of smuggled pot.
11 Bravo
Banned

jsnipy wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

I think we would see less smugglers/pot related criminals. I imagine the USA is biggest customer of smuggled pot.
so...then how can you say there are smugglers where it is legal being a problem?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

so...then how can you say there are smugglers where it is legal being a problem?
The Netherlands is surrounded by countries where possessing marijuana is illegal. Is the United States? No? Ok then. You're making a big deal about nothing.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard