unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

So you're saying that because you like pasta, rice isn't worth anyone else's notice? No matter your arguments, I can't find it within me to resent the notion that Valve may adopt new technology.

You can create smaller maps for online gameplay in an engine that can support larger maps, and likely with even more fluidity.

That would make sense if you completely ignored the history of PC gaming. The /only/ games to enjoy considerable longevity with considerable communities around them, with very few or no exceptions, are MMOs, and extensively moddable games. The engine, and how it's presented to enthusiasts, has /everything/ to do with the longevity of a game.
I don't see anything in that comment that sets me against the fluidity of larger maps. L4D and TF2 are great and all, but they're not the only way to do things.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
Sooner or later Valve will change their engine anyway, and then they will add streaming capabilities.

You simply have more possibilities and options then:
You can still make small level multiplayer games like TF2 or CS, but also can create big worlds for immersive single-player games.
IIRC, Gaben said something about the latter and how they want to merge multiple franchises (Half-Life & Portal?).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I can see a merger between Half-Life and Portal. I just hope they don't try to plug L4D or TF into it.

It's going to be tough, though. How many zeros did the facility add to the amount of years Chell had been sleeping? Christ.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6239
In the 'Final hours of Portal 2' thing they mention 50,000 years as an idea of how long it's been to try and differentiate it from Half-Life.

But it's completely up in the air. She could have been there 50 years or 50,000 years. The machine could have been broken.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
50,000 years? really? come on, that's a stupid amount of time. the half life universe is already pretty advanced/modern . . .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6239
It certainly didn't look like 50,000 years had passed anyway. I would've thought everything would just be dust by then.

But a quick google search showed me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJbwFY8gv9M

Note that that is an unused line of dialogue so maybe they scrapped it and left it as open as possible.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-05-27 09:24:36)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662

Spamtheban wrote:

i'm shit
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
stupid writing if it's the case that they set it +50,000 years in the future.

i mean, jesus, 2.5k ago we were philosophising in ancient greece. look how far we've come! 50k is overkill.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York

Uzique wrote:

i mean, jesus, 2.5k ago we were philosophising in ancient greece. look how far we've come! 50k is overkill.
Don't forget about G-Man though. He doesn't exactly have any boundaries. Assuming Chell ties into HL3, I'm sure G-Man could find a way to work around a 50K timespan.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

But it's completely up in the air. She could have been there 50 years or 50,000 years. The machine could have been broken.
This.

The facility certainly didn't look that old, but there's no real way to tell. Who knows what kind of paper or light bulbs they were using, if the facility replaced bulbs in the 'old' area, how long the facility had been exposed to atmosphere or how bugged the computer that told you you've been out for 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 [etc] years was.

Uzique wrote:

A number of disasters could, if they didn't kill us outright, wipe out our intellectual progress as a species but for possible artifacts and data caches.

If the Portal universe was tied to the Half-Life universe and Chell did emerge a stupid number of years into the future, humanity could have even left the planet. The next thing she might have run into would be a pack of hungry ant lions.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard