Poll

Do you think this could become a reality?

Ya thats awsome47%47% - 91
yes but im not gonna play it8%8% - 16
no never but i wish it would12%12% - 23
no nor would i play it31%31% - 60
Total: 190
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6628
Original link
http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/Vi … l&id=6
Written by: Paul "Stealth97" Uppal

A friend of mine mentioned an idea to me. He said, “Imagine what Battlefield would be like if it was a Massively Multiplayer Online First-Person Shooter; MMOFPS.” I thought to myself, “This idea is crazy.” Yet, as days, weeks - months passed, I thought about this idea and asked myself if it could work. The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that someday this could happen.

Well, to begin with, what is a Massively Multiplayer Online First-Person Shooter?
“Unlike a traditional online or multiplayer FPS, an MMOFPS can use interconnected zones, or areas, to create a larger world in which thousands of players can interact.” – Wikipedia

Now, imagine creating a world in which a battle takes place that involves armor, aircraft, naval vessels, and land vehicles. This battle would be played 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; two teams conquering bases, land, perhaps even continents.

Battlefield 2 currently averages somewhere between 30,000 to 50,000 players every night. Now, consider how many players would be involved in this game. Ten to Fifteen percent would be knocked out, as Mommy and Daddy aren’t likely to offer their credit card so the little kiddies can play. Most MMO games have a monthly fee of around 15 dollars. Why a monthly fee? The servers hosting this couldn’t be ordinary servers. Each team would probably consist of roughly 10,000 players. It would certainly cost in the hundreds of thousands to expect a lag-free environment.

An obvious question would arise, “Wouldn’t certain classes become overpopulated – flooded?” This is where training would come in. Before entering the Battlefield with a particular class, appropriate training must be completed and qualifications met. Once a certain number of spots are filled-up that class would no longer be accessible. For example, from a pool of 15,000 players, a pilot class would only allow about 5,000, while an assault class would allow 10,000 players. Certain elements could also be added to this scheme to ensure that if a spot is available candidates would be notified; the creation of a waiting list. How would people be removed from this class limitation? Well, certain rules would be put in place. Take the pilot class as an example. Say there is a jackass pilot who is really terrible and commits frequent teamkills. If a rule is in place, after a certain number of teamkills, the certification for that class would be revoked and that person wouldn’t be allowed to reapply for a specific number of days.

Once training is completed, it’s time to visit the Battlefield and fight for a team. The MMOFPS Battlefield would obviously consist of very large maps. In Battlefield 1942 the maximum size is 4 kilometers (2.5 miles for our American friends.) So, imagine maps that are anywhere from three to ten times bigger. Squads - clans could be created within this type of game for obvious reasons. (Ten-thousand people on one team without any organization might get a bit hectic.) Now, it’s time for a scenario.

In Battlefield 2 there is a fictitious army called the Middle East Coalition (MEC). Well, in this type of MMOFPS, the MEC and the US go at it again. One of the battlegrounds could be a country similar to Iraq. Within this country would be several cities. Twenty cities is a good, round figure. The US team has established a base camp, which would be their uncaptureable point at one end of the country. The MEC team has their base camp at the other end of the country. Along with these base camps might be several mini-camps throughout, such as a harbor where a naval battle could occur, an aircraft carrier, and so on. The battle begins.

A concern that is most likely running through the minds of several players is the lack of vehicles. This is where helicopters and planes could play a huge role. Imagine seeing a C-17 or C-130 overhead with 100 players parachuting onto the battlefield. Mini-camps would contain an armory spawning tanks, light-armor vehicles, etc. There would be some sort of system in place so everyone can have a vehicle that is either near, or in the base. If not a tank, perhaps a light-armor vehicle, or a jeep. Of course, if a player screws-up with a tank (such as teamkilling or dying,) a timer might be placed on that character who then couldn’t just keep taking tanks before other players who may have been waiting for a long while.

All the classes could play key roles if this type of game was to be built. Engineers could build repair pads so a tank doesn’t have to travel for about ten minutes to be repaired. Medics could build a medic/revival station. (A battle happens about 5km away from a mini-camp and troops end-up dying. Getting back into the battle, of course, might easily become a pain on such a huge map. A good idea would be to allow medics to build a small medic station that could even be a spawn point.) These are only a few of the possibilities. Imagine what could be done with the other classes.

The Rank System could also play an important role. Instead of having the usual “Level X” in a MMORPG, there could be a “Private First-Class.” The higher the rank, the more duties could be taken on, the more weapons unlocked, etc.

Integration of all the elements, such as armor, naval, aircraft, and land units, would go very deep to make this a fun game for everyone to enjoy. Take a simple radio call as an example. A player makes a radio call for an air strike. This would, in turn, notify nearby pilots (on your team) that help is required. Notification of the distance and estimated time of arrival of the pilot who accepted this air strike would be sent to the caller. Other elements could be added to this mission, as well, such as awarding the pilot points toward his/her next badge if he/she completes the mission. That specific radio call could only be issued by those who have reached a certain rank. After that certain rank has been reached, the higher one rises, the more pilots could be assigned to this air strike. Instead of one pilot being able to respond, five could go along with helicopters, and other air assets if required.

So, how can players succeed in this style of Battlefield? As was mentioned earlier, there will be roughly 20 cities. The US would have to invade these cities attempting to capture them. Having successfully captured a city, it becomes a spawn point for that team where then can be created more armories, maybe an airfield, and other elements. Of course, this means the MEC team would be able to recapture the city. As this battle would be on-going, 24 hours a day, it would be quite some time before one team can capture all the cities, were that at all possible. While all this is going on for about a year, or so, an expansion pack could then be released. This pack either providing a new army, such as China, or a new territory into a new country.

This is all a design idea. Players must imagine how the Battlefield series could be expanded into a MMOFPS. I would, personally, enjoy playing this type of game with its constantly changing environment. Merely picturing an armor-rush, along with an infantry-rush of about one-thousand players, is cool; with more than twenty helicopters supported by thirty jets, or more, flying ahead. On the other side of this rush, an opponent with another thousand players would be waiting for battle.

Feel free to leave your comments below. I hope you enjoyed reading this article.

Edited By: Planet Battlefield Staf
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Imagine if Pamela Anderson was in my bed when I got home.    Nice idea though.  I would play a game like that forever.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2006-05-15 11:24:55)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6605|Seattle

I would never leave home again. And I would definitely have to lose the GF
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

See now, WTF, why don't companies make a game like this?  Especially with BF2 quality?
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6760

usmarine2005 wrote:

See now, WTF, why don't companies make a game like this?  Especially with BF2 quality?
Ummm... afraid that noone will work anymore and that noone will reproduce the population ?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Dr.Battlefield wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Ummm... afraid that noone will work anymore and that noone will reproduce the population ?
You can jerk off in a cup while you wait to respawn!  Problem solved.
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6760

usmarine2005 wrote:

Dr.Battlefield wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

You can jerk off in a cup while you wait to respawn!  Problem solved.
lol
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6662|Westminster, Colorado
This would be insane.  I would love to be in a battle with 100+ people invading.  That's when the real teamwork would come in and communication would be vital.
JohnnyBlanco
+44|6579|England
pamela's getting on a bit, still would though.
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6760
You will have to maintain a good discipline. I do not know how they will be able to do it and actually MAKE people follow orders.

Last edited by Dr.Battlefield (2006-05-15 11:39:09)

-EcS-Blade
Mr.Speakman
+153|6648|Manchester UK
oh......................my.....................god that would be the best thing since sliced bread. I hope tht a game like this will be made in the future
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6737|Louisiana
Sounds pretty similar to Planetside, from what I saw of it... yeah it would be cool but the cost of creating and maintaining a game like that would be enormous. Probably too big of a risk for EA, who would rather just put out another BF game with five expansion packs where they know they'll make easy money.
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6683|Moscow, Russia
That's the game for the future man, the game of dreams. I think weapons would need to be adjusted from regular BF2 to be more realistically effective at greater ranges. And as it's a MMOFPS I think there should be lvl ups and some skill points, to make your character a better shooter maybe. That would be extremely hard to balance though, so it may be better to give everyone equal chances.
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6643|South Jersey
i agree it could happen.  With the way gaming technology(graphics, sounds, effects. etc) has advanced in the past 20 years since Atari it could definitely be done.  But by a professional company(phff, EA isn't profoessional). 
If a game like that ever came out(which I believe will one day happen), I would put a piss bucket underneath me, a feeding tube connected to me, and trucker pills that keep you awake and I would never see the light of day again playing that game.  Just my $0.02.  I passed algebra, woohoo!
MooseRyder
+37|6663|Montréal, Canada
imagine the computer needed to run that though adn the internet connection.

Last edited by MooseRyder (2006-05-15 11:56:13)

ThePriest1750
Tank commander
+83|6743|DUTCH snap ik!
yes it could happen gonna be addicted like wow the one that started topic is a wow player or something but i dont like the idea of it i think it would really suxx ( and yes i played wow for 10 months )
Greetings
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6737|Louisiana

MooseRyder wrote:

imagine the computer needed to run that though adn the internet connection.
It wouldn't be that steep. Planetside did the same thing, albeit with graphics that weren't nearly as good as BF2's. But they were decent for the game's time. There would have to be zones like in MMORPGS.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

xintegrityx wrote:

Sounds pretty similar to Planetside, from what I saw of it... yeah it would be cool but the cost of creating and maintaining a game like that would be enormous. Probably too big of a risk for EA, who would rather just put out another BF game with five expansion packs where they know they'll make easy money.
Yeah, first thing I thought of was Planetside as well. Just more awesome. Man, I would love it if something like that came out.
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6628
The only problem i see with the idea is dice and ea...... I think blizzard should make it they seem to be the only ocmplany that doesn't care on cost to make it.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6713|Antarctica
NO thats a horrible idea + DICE is already adding so many ranks and unlocks in 2142.  Can you imagine all the stat padding and whining that would happen?  I would rather have Battlefield: 1342 or something than that.
Jools Rulez
+1|6582|uk

xintegrityx wrote:

yeah i played planetside, the massive battles(100+) are really something but in bf2 style it will be even better
i hope it happens!
petethecheese
+9|6771|England
A great idea - isn't there already a WWII MMORPG out?  Can't remember the name, but I'm sure there is one about.  I don't agree that you should restrict the number of classes - that's missing the point of a MMORPG.  What you do, though, is have certain skill levels you must first reach before you can qualify.  Only the dedicated can attain that class, so a new pilot could control, say a UAV, but wouldn't have the skills to fly a F-15 until he's trained some more or done time on, say a C-130 Hercules before moving up to play with the big guys.

Same with ships and to a lesser extent, vehicles.  This would also get people to form their own squads, as you could say need a driver, gunner and commander for Armour and more for a ship/large aircraft.  You need a team to get ot to work and at the same time you build your skills up to allow you to go from say 'driver' to 'commander'.  medics and SF need training in their own skill set - so you can't class jump so quick, but it means a squad undertaking a 'mission' would recruit a medic, support, Sf and an AT guy before leaving their base to ensure they had the full party skills necessary to complete the task.

This is the element all RPG's have - look at Everquest and Star Wars and WoW.  You can be what you want, but it takes time and you need certain requiremnts forst and to achieve something, you need to team up.

Once you get that cracked, it'll work

Come on EA - pull your finger out!
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6605
I'd quit in a heartbeat.  You could already do running battles with a few modifications, map rounds get a FEW MILLION TICKETS, mapsizes get increased, stuff like that.

Global warfare would be nice, but I don't want to be involved with the LIFER LOSERS that seem to populate games like that.  Then next thing you know some poor fat white kid offs himself because he was voted out as uberleet general of his continent. 

But who needs e-mail, tells, virtual property, or any of that?  And how would you justify levels?  Epic weapons?  Spear of Destiny?  Right now, there's some people with lower rank and better skill levels than some higher ranking players.  So a general or czar or whatever knows how to do grenade juggling, and shoot through the eye level 15?  You end up taking away individual talent for whoever can spam their high level combos fastest.

Can you custom design your own uniforms? 

Nobody's going to pay for it unless it's "like Warcraft" or "like EQ." 
Then it's going to take thousands of points to traverse levels.  Forget that.
Who has that kind of time.  And if you do have that kind of time, why aren't you working towards something that counts in the outside world.  Like a good job, or the ever elusive girlfriend, or learning to snowboard, or rock climb.

Forget it.

I have nothing positive to say on this idea.
benben10
+20|6723
there was a WWII game like this called AIRWARRIOR. this was back almost 10 years ago. it had mostly aircraft but had tanks too. it was awesome and scaled correctly but there were no ranks and no infantry roles whatsoever. but it was a 24/7 game with capturable bases and the like. the idea is not new just hard to implement.

anyways i would definitly like to see it.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6663|Brisbane, Australia

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard