HG_TheTank
+2|6736
Problem is, again, Dice did a half arsed job implementing the stuff. (IMHO)
Why is it that people can rack up kills by doing whatever they want?
I mean commanders can tell people what to do but if you do it or not, you will still get points.
They could have done a system where, when you give a job (attack, defend, whatever) everyone doing their thing in that area get points.
Likewise commanders would get points for the people doing their jobs and the commander giving them stuff.
If such a thing were implemented, a commander should get ZERO points for art kills (for instance).

Now either BF2 is an action game and then there is no need for a commander or it is a team-based tactical game.
Lawk
+2|6745

dsb wrote:

i had a round where I got 315 as commander.

Big server, big ticket ratio, few people = long game for lots of points
Shit, do i ever need a server like this.  I cant get basic command badge to save my friggin life.
Lazarus Tag'lim
Have Wrench, Will Travel
+1|6751|Alabama Coast, USA
Do your search with only "Large Maps" selected, and pick a server with 32 or fewer players...  don't pick a server using Wake Island (as it's only a 64-player map, so all the other rounds may be 32 or 16 maps), or Karkand (if the server is like 30/64, and it's on Karkand, I don't think it'll take long to fill).

But yeah, I hate that stuff...  my first time commander I tried it one round (cause I noticed the guy the previous round wasn't doing crap), and had a fun go of it.  Sat hidden spotting targets, dropping UAV and artie and supplies...   We went from loosing the previous round to winning that one, same map (Kubra Dam).  3rd round on the map another guy who had been out flying the chopper (crashing the chopper) all the last round got commander by outranking me.  What's the first thing he does?  Gets in the jet!

I quit the server not long after that.  Commander hopping in a jet is a bad sign, unless he's just using it to hide in the corner of the map.
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6798|Australia
i love commander now, i spent 10 hours last weekend and got over 1500 kills. all you need to do is know how the arty works.
just drop supplies, even if thhey dont need it, set uav, if they loose they loose, swap teams and command there. they will learn.
as for the basic commander badge, getting forty points isnt to hard. first wait a few rounds, is there some going commander straight up??
if not, get some kills get a small score then hit commander for the last half. give them everything wither they need it or want it.
Omnimalice
All Hate
+1|6750|Northern VA

kontrolcrimson wrote:

i love commander now, i spent 10 hours last weekend and got over 1500 kills. all you need to do is know how the arty works.
just drop supplies, even if thhey dont need it, set uav, if they loose they loose, swap teams and command there. they will learn.
as for the basic commander badge, getting forty points isnt to hard. first wait a few rounds, is there some going commander straight up??
if not, get some kills get a small score then hit commander for the last half. give them everything wither they need it or want it.
Am I the only guy left trying to play as a teammember and not as a point-monger?
HG_TheTank
+2|6736
@Omnimalice:
nope!
Last night on the Duck-Server:Dragon Valley. I was chinese commander both rounds and we destroyed the imperialist army! 119:0 and 98:0 and that second round the enemy was a lot tougher.
First round, all I mostly did was sit in the AA (as engy) command my troops and shoot down the occasional heli.
Second round I tried to do similar but an enemy linebacker broke through and got me.
After that I tanked for most of the round.

A thing I noticed was that if both work together, squads and commander, it greatly enhances the combat strenght of the force.
Artillery is either used to slow the assault of an enemy force, as a last ditch effort to stop the enemy from taking a flag or simply to convince them that they should not camp their heli spawn.
UAV I tend to use to either help my teammates find hidden forces or, when used well, to spot oncomming forces. A poorly placed UAV can sometimes hurt more then help!
Resupplies. As long as not requested (they get first prio) I destribute them as I think they would be needed. i.e. if someone just took a flag or stopping an enemy advance, they will probably need supplies.
Scans, while only visible to the commander can help a lot since you can tell your squads what you just saw.
Might not last long but then they can 'see' the enemy and react.

Unfortunetly many players do not join squads. I wish dice would place all unassigned troops into a dummy squad.
rusti
+0|6798|Bavaria
I still like being a commander but I agree that people seem to be even more reluctant to command then before. As for kill points my observation is that:

a) The in-game stats will not show your artillery kills.
b) Nevertheless you will get the kills in the stats (definitely), so your K:D improves (at least in my case, because I suck with hand weapons)
c) Because of that you can still earn badges that require kills IAR by killing with the arty.
d) I am pretty sure that you do get points for repairs. I observed that it does not say "You got a repair point" in-game but at the end of round I was credited for x repairs. I am not sure whether these repairs count towards your Engineer badge, because I did not get 10 repairs IAR as commander yet.

As for the guy who struggles to get command badge: AFAIK the commander points are calculated as the average of points your team gathered. So it is a bit a matter of luck to get enough points for the badge. You should find a server without time limit and preferably with evenly balanced teams and as suggested above which is not very populated. This way the round will last long and your teammates will sum up tons of points which is good for your commander score. If you really are a stat whore you could even reduce your efforts if your team gets to strong just to prolong the battle (but of course no one would do that). So a lot of things that influence your commander score are completely out of your control. Of course you should still struggle to win. The badge requirements are before x2 but for the bronze/silver/gold stars it's a different story.

I disagree with the guy who said commanders get points for sitting around. If I command I do not fly around, run around or even worse sit in a tank for protection and block it for my team. I find a "save" spot not to sit around but because I am busy scanning, spotting, supplying, and directing. From time to time I have to go shoot a SecOps guy and repair my assets. That's not sitting around. Apart from that: If there were no benefits for commanders at all, why should anyone bother (at least on ranked servers). And I think you agree a good commander can mean the difference between winning and loosing if teams are nearly even and squads obey the orders.

Long message (sorry) but I wanted to point out that not all commanders are lazy stat-whores and commanding is not so bad points-wise as some may think.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6763

rusti wrote:

I still like being a commander but I agree that people seem to be even more reluctant to command then before. As for kill points my observation is that:

a) The in-game stats will not show your artillery kills.
b) Nevertheless you will get the kills in the stats (definitely), so your K improves (at least in my case, because I suck with hand weapons)
c) Because of that you can still earn badges that require kills IAR by killing with the arty.
d) I am pretty sure that you do get points for repairs. I observed that it does not say "You got a repair point" in-game but at the end of round I was credited for x repairs. I am not sure whether these repairs count towards your Engineer badge, because I did not get 10 repairs IAR as commander yet.
a) Yep
b) Yep
c) Yep, got my basic sniper combat badge as a commander, not with a sniper rifle
d) Got my basic engineer badge as a commander, repairing stuff.  The wrench gets you repairs, the supply box doesn't.  (would be wrong if it did, you could get the engineer and resupply badges at the same time).

Best I've had is 8 repairs and 7 resupplies as a commander, in different rounds.  However, going commander gets me more points than straight combat.

I guess it's a case of every person doing what they're best at.
Obadiah
+0|6730|Wisconsin - Mooo...

Omnimalice wrote:

I never want to be commander, ever. But I still do it when my team has none. Last night I busted my ass as commander, only got 5 points, kept the UAVs rolling, arty going, spotting, everything, worked my ass off- and what did I get? A loss and a mutiny.
I happen to like playing commander. But you are absolutely right, a good, team player commander works his tail off!  In fact, often as commander I have to literally take off my top shirt because I'm sweating so hard working the controls with such intensity.  You are constantly watching and monitoring.  You are trying to pay attention through all the chatter in the net, your droppin' supplies, providing UAV, and trying to inflict massive casualties with arty.  Watching your tickets.  Whew.

A good commander can really help turn the tide of the battle for your side.  I know I have done help turn the tide of battle a number of times, but you are correct that if you have a weaker team, (guys running around and unproductively waiting for specific vehicles forever) sometimes all the hard work as commander gets you is a mutiny vote by those you are trying to assist.  Sheesh!
Lawk
+2|6745
Yeah, I know how to get the command badge.  I have been on the ideal servers and won the rounds numerous times, while only achieving close to the required points.  One round I got freakin 39 points.  I was pissed off. 

It seems when you cap a base while commander it counts as one point for your score.  Will this be included in my command score?  If it will, then this may be my ticket to the badge since I know I could mix capping bases with commanding.
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6767|Barrington, RI
go bug this guy about tips on being a commander.  it's all he does.  http://bf2s.com/player/48375184/
pfcilng
+0|6737|Northern Illinois University
I got my silver command badge, but long hard road to it.  I usually find that people dont want to be commander and rather call mutiny votes to whoever is in command.

You can always tell when a team has setup leadership or not - we were winning as USMC - we had a steady commander and more than one squad, so it was possible to do maneuvers.  I was switched to the PLA - and I wasnt surprised when I saw that nobody was commanding and there was a swuad of two people.
Lawk
+2|6745

pfcilng wrote:

I got my silver command badge, but long hard road to it.  I usually find that people dont want to be commander and rather call mutiny votes to whoever is in command.

You can always tell when a team has setup leadership or not - we were winning as USMC - we had a steady commander and more than one squad, so it was possible to do maneuvers.  I was switched to the PLA - and I wasnt surprised when I saw that nobody was commanding and there was a swuad of two people.
Dude, the vet command would be simple.  Just gotta get 1000 total command and spend atleast 25 min on a server as commander.  I can score as commander all day long, just cant get freakin 40 dang points.
rusti
+0|6798|Bavaria
@Lawk: I am pretty sure you know how to get comander points. All I am saying is that you need luck also. :-) And some patience maybe. I had to give it many trys before I made my basic command and my staff officer ribbon.

@sewermasta: Unbelievable! I knew some people only play a little fraction of the game most of the time but HOW ON EARTH did that guy get a win:loss of 12.46 : 1 ?

Last edited by rusti (2005-10-26 22:03:29)

springchiken
+0|6728
I play Commander all the time and if you do it right you should get a gold y not . a good  Commander can help u get a gold or lower by telling you stuff like theres a tank coming. Or if u run out of stuff there a supply crate. i also keep flags from geting caped bye artying the base before they take the frag down. ive played it for over 200hrs and am good cant say that for the guys you have played with. but if you get a good Commander and the your team does not suck you will win.

the_heart_attack wrote:

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

I see a lot of people getting points for being commander. most of the time taking golds away from me.
I think Commanders get way too many points.. and  if they don't tone it down, atleast make it to where they don't get gold/silver/bronze medals for sitting on their ass dropping supplies.
i agree totally, although having said that...its there so why not exploit it?

iv only just atrted to go commander but i i agree shoulnt get the medals at end of round.

Last edited by springchiken (2005-10-26 23:25:16)

DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6729|Brixham, UK
As a commander i've found that it's frustrating when over half the team is not in a squad. Maybe i'm mistaken, but there's no way to give orders to these people. This in turn means that you are already at a disadvantage becasue the enemy could have more people in squads, which means more people doing helpful stuff.

I've found that more often than not, people DO tend to gravitate toward attack/defence markers, which is why the more squads that there are, the better. It's no good trying to co-ordinate an assault on wake if half your team are lone wolves.

I'd love to see a system that Automatically puts players in a squad, unless they choose the sniper class, at which they are free to do their own thing.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6812|Cologne, Germany

DUFFKING wrote:

As a commander i've found that it's frustrating when over half the team is not in a squad. Maybe i'm mistaken, but there's no way to give orders to these people. This in turn means that you are already at a disadvantage becasue the enemy could have more people in squads, which means more people doing helpful stuff.

I've found that more often than not, people DO tend to gravitate toward attack/defence markers, which is why the more squads that there are, the better. It's no good trying to co-ordinate an assault on wake if half your team are lone wolves.

I'd love to see a system that Automatically puts players in a squad, unless they choose the sniper class, at which they are free to do their own thing.
that would be a dream come true...
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6729|Brixham, UK
Well, I've just been given another incentive to play as commander:

I got my second gold star
KillerAFET
+3|6751|Abilene, Texas

DUFFKING wrote:

As a commander i've found that it's frustrating when over half the team is not in a squad. Maybe i'm mistaken, but there's no way to give orders to these people.
That's what the K button is for - team messaging. If they don't have microphones you can always type suggested courses of actions.

I love being commander and helping my team mates.  I'm still a noob at heart and at my age lack the coordination that players like my son have in close combat so commaner is an optimal way for me to advance.  I certainly can multitask in defending my arty and direct squads, its just like running a maintenance squadron when I was in the Air Force.

I also find its the best way to accrue time in kit when sitting in the command chair.  I'd never get a sniper advanced badge, for example, unless I sat as a sniper commander.

Let everyone shun the command chair, I'll take it every time!!!
zhaman
+1|6728|Malmo, Sweden
Hi all.

I agree with most ideas in here. Some improve their stats being commander, mostly because they are GOOD at their job. My experience tells me that being commander is not always easy, but communication is the thing!!!

I'm letting all knowing when they do a good job, giv' 'em credit . Then asking them, please join up in squads.. some times the quadleaders also are really good, and we have a very nice teamwork. Commander - Squadleaders - squadmembers..

Since latest patch 1.3, things have changed, accept it?, I did.. some things went worse, some better.
My experience tells me, please let me know if Im totally wrong, there are good's and bad's about every role in this game.. Some are good commanders, some better of with camping at the airfield.. LOL.

STAT padding, or just trying to increase average scores.. well I just generally want a NICE game. To have fun.
At the beginning of my so called " BF2 Military Career".. of course I wanted that "Medal".. Nowadays.. a nice game with good teams is much more fun.

Over and Out.
Zhaman (at the moment Master SGT).
Lawk
+2|6745
Yo, thanks for the tips.  Got my Command badge last night.  Woot!
Sgt.RageBull
+0|6741
i think since the new patch commander points is a lil better but what a about teamkilling without reason with arty??????
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6767|Barrington, RI

rusti wrote:

@Lawk: I am pretty sure you know how to get comander points. All I am saying is that you need luck also. :-) And some patience maybe. I had to give it many trys before I made my basic command and my staff officer ribbon.

@sewermasta: Unbelievable! I knew some people only play a little fraction of the game most of the time but HOW ON EARTH did that guy get a win:loss of 12.46 : 1 ?
Raxor said that the guy owns his own server.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6726
The Commander's real power is not the commander objects (UAv , Satallite, etc...), but the ability to oversee the whole battlefield.He is like a god: see everything.That means,if he gave an order he did it with a reason.The problem is that only very few players realize this.I love to be commander( i started commandering about 2-3 weeks ago) but no one obey my orders. I would not give a damn if the enemy blew up my toys(they can be very useful though) coz i still could see whatever i wanted.No one goes tactical these days, but if there is a good commander who has skills in tactics and a team which obey his orders, then the enemy has less chance to win...
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6753|The Hague, Holland
I'd like to see ONE MATCH just ONE MATCH where everybody DOES WHAT THEY ARE TOLD AND SUPPOSED TO DO. The commander THINKS and doesnt fly or camp or whatever and gives out Orders to the SquadLeaders, wich will obey these orders with their squadmembers. The opposing force will do the same. Not ONCE have I seen this, or even heard some1 talk about it. God I would love to see this happen.

My geuss is this only happens on Clan vs Clan fights.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard