Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6237|NSW, Australia

You have to find out the right rpm, so the engine isnt labouring...(under lots of load) but not high enough so you arent just wasting fuel that way either

I get 10L/100kms, its a 55L tank but only ever fill up 50L max and getting 500kms minimum. If all I do is drive on motorways I get well over 600kms.

2L turbo 4cyl

98octane is $1.52 - $1.58 /L (highest octane fuel on pump) in Aus, this is RON not Roz or whatever

Last edited by Nappy (2011-04-20 05:43:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I'd bet a lot less than 10% of people who own pickup trucks are in one of those trades.
why do you care anyway?  you aint paying for their gas.
They're the ones blubbing though.

OP wrote:

Gas prices are crazy so Post what you do to save gas. I put a cold air intake in my GMC sierra 1500, I get about 15-16 mpg now as opposed to 13-14
Honestly, its like the 400lb guy complaining Big Macs are too expensive and don't have as much cheese in as they used to.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5245|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

They're the ones blubbing though.
not true.  i dont like it either
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6199|Roma

Jay wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Does anyone know what the best rpm range is for fuel economy? I know you shouldn't rag the shit out of it, and you shouldn't up shift too early, but I guess it also depends on the engine, right?
Each engine has its own sweet spot but generally between 1800-2200 rpms is ideal. My CR-V has a fuel consumption gauge that shows me the derivative mpg
My car isn't new enough to have a fancy gauge, and the odometer is busted so I can't even measure how far I get on a tank.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4976|Dundee, Scotland.

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Jay wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Does anyone know what the best rpm range is for fuel economy? I know you shouldn't rag the shit out of it, and you shouldn't up shift too early, but I guess it also depends on the engine, right?
Each engine has its own sweet spot but generally between 1800-2200 rpms is ideal. My CR-V has a fuel consumption gauge that shows me the derivative mpg
My car isn't new enough to have a fancy gauge, and the odometer is busted so I can't even measure how far I get on a tank.
Oh well, at least you can sell it and not give the proper mileage figure
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6199|Roma
I don't think it's going to get sold.
It's more of a run-it-into-the-ground jobby
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Also, the people who drive a huge truck because they tow a dirt-bike trailer occasionally are kidding themselves they need a truck.

I get 10-11l/100 around town and ~8 in the country.
Uh, not only do you not need the trailer to tow a dirt bike if you have a huge truck. You don't even need a huge truck, a tacoma or ranger will do just fine. I wouldn't want to drag a sled around in the back of a ranger all the time though.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6675

Nic wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Also, the people who drive a huge truck because they tow a dirt-bike trailer occasionally are kidding themselves they need a truck.

Uh, not only do you not need the trailer to tow a dirt bike if you have a huge truck. You don't even need a huge truck, a tacoma or ranger will do just fine. I wouldn't want to drag a sled around in the back of a ranger all the time though.
Because it's fun to only bring one bike, jetski, sled, etc., to a family outing.

While not pickup truck, per se, regarding full-size SUV, no other soccer mom/dad's in the house.  Sometimes it's your turn to take to or take from the game, the kids in your team.
GR34
+215|6553|ALBERTA> CANADA

Nic wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mid-sized of full sized trucks are just nice to have. especially when you get 30-40cm of snow and the roads are icy as hell. I have my truck because It was my grandpas truck I am sure all of you would want your grandpa's vehicle, especially if alot of your childhood memories are in the passenger seat of said truck

Last edited by GR34 (2011-04-20 12:31:04)

UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5044|Massachusetts, USA
Family needs our '95 Silverado. Always a new home renovation project happening. Be it a new sink for the bathroom, putting new tile down for the kitchen. Taking the wallpaper off an old bedroom (wallpaper steamer.) For the practical person, a truck is the way to go.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

UnkleRukus wrote:

Family needs our '95 Silverado. Always a new home renovation project happening. Be it a new sink for the bathroom, putting new tile down for the kitchen. Taking the wallpaper off an old bedroom (wallpaper steamer.) For the practical person, a truck is the way to go.
You don't need a truck for any of that.

Again, people who kid themselves they need to commute all week in a truck because they occasionally need it at the weekend are daft.
Reciprocity
+721|6589|the dank(super) side of Oregon
i got so many guns they only way to transport them is in my 1 ton dodge diesel dually.

oh yeah, volvos suck.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
Edit: @ dil
What, so they should by a car for the weekday, and truck for the weekend. You just seem to be hating on trucks because you have some bias against them. Personally, if I had a truck at the moment, 3 days of the week there would be a snowmobile in the back of it. If I could afford a bigger truck, there would be 2 snowmobiles on it. Big trucks aren't just for people you think want to look macho.
And no, you don't "need" a truck for what uncleruckus said, it just makes it a hell of a lot more convenient to use one. Ever try to drive down the highway with plywood strapped to the top of your car? slightly easier to throw it in a truck bed.

Last edited by Nic (2011-04-21 00:36:24)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada

GR34 wrote:

Nic wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Mid-sized of full sized trucks are just nice to have. especially when you get 30-40cm of snow and the roads are icy as hell. I have my truck because It was my grandpas truck I am sure all of you would want your grandpa's vehicle, especially if alot of your childhood memories are in the passenger seat of said truck
Yeah, a good truck would be really nice for the roads out here in the winter. I've made it through some pretty hairy drives in my Golf (just barely, Once this winter only because a guy in a F150 blew a hole in a snowbank to drive though). But I'm sure my Focus wouldn't make it through a lot of those drives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Nic wrote:

What, so they should by a car for the weekday, and truck for the weekend. You just seem to be hating on trucks because you have some bias against them. Personally, if I had a truck at the moment, 3 days of the week there would be a snowmobile in the back of it. If I could afford a bigger truck, there would be 2 snowmobiles on it. Big trucks aren't just for people you think want to look macho.
And no, you don't "need" a truck for what uncleruckus said, it just makes it a hell of a lot more convenient to use one. Ever try to drive down the highway with plywood strapped to the top of your car? slightly easier to throw it in a truck bed.
Of course its easier, but then people shouldn't whine about getting 13-14mpg when they're commuting to work.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-04-21 00:42:21)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Nic wrote:

Of course its easier, but then people shouldn't whine about getting 13-14mpg when they're commuting to work.

GR34 wrote:

Gas prices are crazy so Post what you do to save gas. I put a cold air intake in my GMC sierra 1500, I get about 15-16 mpg now as opposed to 13-14
Doesn't really sound like whining to me. Sounds like he did something to make up some of the difference of something that is effecting people, no matter how fuel efficient their vehicle is. He then went on to ask what other people do to save in this area. Fuck, what a whiny bitch :rollseyes:

Hell, I'm annoyed at what gas is costing and I get double his mileage.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6636|IRELAND

The Female Unit's 1.6L petrol Ford Focus does 30-35mpg
My Landrover defender 2.4TDI Desiel does 30mpg up to 45mph. 15-20mpg 45mph plus.
Landrover is fixed 4 wheel drive so if you put your down it drinks the fuel. Its basically 2 seats in a shell and off the line is quicker than most cars.

I spend
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He's boosted his economy by 14% and he's still grizzling.

Three things you can do to improve economy:

Put a thinner oil in your engine.

Keep your tyre pressure up, bear in mind the factory figure is a tradeoff between economy and comfort.

Use tyres with the minimum tread, reduces hysteresis - knobbly 4x4 tyres are shit.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6636|IRELAND

Dilbert_X wrote:

He's boosted his economy by 14% and he's still grizzling.

Three things you can do to improve economy:

Put a thinner oil in your engine.

Keep your tyre pressure up, bear in mind the factory figure is a tradeoff between economy and comfort.

Use tyres with the minimum tread, reduces hysteresis - knobbly 4x4 tyres are shit.
I agree. I had to put snow tires on this winter or I wasn't eating. They brought the mpg down by 10mpg. Handling was rubbish when the thaw came. So I bought extra rims and now have two sets of rims one with snow tires one with standard.

If your car has a turbo, try not to use it too much. My Turbo only kicks in at about 2000rpm and you have plenty of rpm to make a gear change. That's assuming you are a real man and use a stick shift.
The only people I know who drive automatic in this country are women and disabled people. An auto gearbox also uses more fuel.
UnkleRukus
That Guy

Dilbert_X wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Again, people who kid themselves they need to commute all week in a truck because they occasionally need it at the weekend are daft.
I don't think you quite understand how much easier it is with a pickup truck. You can get all the materials you need in one go, and you can get rid of all the waste from the project in one go (sometimes two, depends on the size of the project.) If we need to take something in to get repaired like the lawnmower, pressure washer, table saw, or some other large power tool. Then we can load it into the back and take it to the shop. No mucking about.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

UnkleRukus wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

I don't think you quite understand how much easier it is with a pickup truck. You can get all the materials you need in one go, and you can get rid of all the waste from the project in one go (sometimes two, depends on the size of the project.) If we need to take something in to get repaired like the lawnmower, pressure washer, table saw, or some other large power tool. Then we can load it into the back and take it to the shop. No mucking about.
He doesn't care. He just wanted to troll you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
UnkleRukus
That Guy

Jay wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

He doesn't care. He just wanted to troll you.
It's funny because I only use it on the weekends.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6134|So Cal

pirana6 wrote:

walk my ass to work.

spring has sprung.
Wish I could do that as I need the excercise.
How much do you walk? More than a mile?
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6388|MN
I drive one of these.  09' Super White Touring Prius.  45 average right now, but should get better with warmer temps.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/25206/Prius.jpg

Real story:  My wife pulls up alongside me at a stop light, I see my wife is calling me on the cell.  I am looking at her talking to me as she says "You look gay in that car!"  I hung up on her.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6675

LividBovine wrote:

I drive one of these.  09' Super White Touring Prius.  45 average right now, but should get better with warmer temps.

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/25206/Prius.jpg

Real story:  My wife pulls up alongside me at a stop light, I see my wife is calling me on the cell.  I am looking at her talking to me as she says "You look gay in that car!"  I hung up on her.
Yes.  Guy + Super White Prius is gay.

San Diego.  I needed to borrow my sisters Maxima (5 seater) for a few days.  So, she used my 3000GT (impractical back seats).  On the road, to see how she drives the 3000GT.  Stop light.  Jeep Ranger full of sailors on next lane.  Sailors whistling and arm waving.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard