Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5362|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

So how do I go about removing the bloatware that came prepackaged on my phone?
Root the phone and use an app like Titanium Backup to uninstall them.
Will that void the warranty?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6134|North Tonawanda, NY

Jay wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

So how do I go about removing the bloatware that came prepackaged on my phone?
Probably, but I think you can unroot fairly easily in the event that you need factory service.  I've never needed any warranty work on any phone I've owned...

How long is the warranty good for anyway?

Edit: Unroot/factory reset, I mean

Last edited by SenorToenails (2011-04-08 07:33:08)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Probably, but I think you can unroot fairly easily in the event that you need factory service.  I've never needed any warranty work on any phone I've owned...

Two years. I've had the phone six months. The battery life is starting to fade now so I'm trying to minimize the junk on it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Jay wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

Two years. I've had the phone six months. The battery life is starting to fade now so I'm trying to minimize the junk on it.
I hear ya...which phone/carrier do you have?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6501

droid2/verizon

edit; imma hijacking on this

Last edited by burnzz (2011-04-08 07:36:42)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
If I had a do-over I would've paid the extra $10 a month for verizon's service. T-Mobile is good while I'm the vicinity of NYC but out in the sticks I get nothing. Sucks on trips.
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Jay wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Look around in here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=796

I don't want to point you at a particular thread since I don't know the partiulars of your phone, etc...  Make sure you fully understand what you are doing before you do it, and make sure you make few nandroid backups along the way!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Thanks man, I'll check it out later. Right now I'm building a knife set for my wedding registry.
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

burnzz wrote:

droid2/verizon

edit; imma hijacking on this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=741

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=764950  <- This is the obvious 'How to root' thread...if you want the option to unroot, be sure to read up on that...lol
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Jay wrote:

Thanks man, I'll check it out later. Right now I'm building a knife set for my wedding registry.
No problem!  I can't stand all the crap they bundle into the phones.

Also, here is a better place to start looking!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=866175
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6346|Atlanta, Georgia
In a nutshell what exactly do roms do? Is it just a UI change or visual or what?

OC'd my DX and did a test on quadrant.

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/CAP201104110759.jpg
Microwave
_
+515|6659|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
It depends on the ROM, but in general, UI tweaks, more customisable UI, more phone options, enhanced features, performance increases and backup ability.

Pretty much.

In other news, installed CyanogenMOD 7 on my Nexus today.....mmmm gingerbread!
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
What are the biggest, best, and most supported ROMS out there? I was looking at liberty 2.0.1

EDIT: Okay i got the Liberty 2.0.1 rom on my phone. It's all pretty clean and nice. But i forgot to make a backup of my factory settings cause i was so eager. I hope i don't mess anything up in the mean time but do you guys know how i can make a back up of my phone if my phone is already flashed with another rom?

Last edited by NeXuS (2011-04-11 19:41:12)

Microwave
_
Yes, that should be pretty straight forward.

What recovery do you have installed on your phone? (You use this to flash the ROMs)

You need to create a NAND backup using Nandroid. That takes a snapshot of you phone, that way you can easily switch between your default android and a custom ROM.

Also get Titanium Backup from the market, which is a root only backup app which backups everyyyyyyyyyyything - apps, app data (which non-root backup apps miss) and system settings.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/Untitled-1-5.png

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/merc4909/CAP2011041204152.jpg
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it

Microwave wrote:

Yes, that should be pretty straight forward.

What recovery do you have installed on your phone? (You use this to flash the ROMs)

You need to create a NAND backup using Nandroid. That takes a snapshot of you phone, that way you can easily switch between your default android and a custom ROM.

Also get Titanium Backup from the market, which is a root only backup app which backups everyyyyyyyyyyything - apps, app data (which non-root backup apps miss) and system settings.
I used "Droid X Bootstrapper" to bootstrap recovery and then reboot into recovery and installed my rom through the recovery screen.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

Any opinions on Lastpass?  What password app do you guys use?
Microwave
_
There should be an option to do a nandroid backup from in your recovery.

I use lastpass exclusively for password management on my pc and laptop, and it's brilliant. Not looked at it for Android, I think you might need Lastpass premium.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Idk about you guys but it seems like Liberty 2.0.1 with a clean slate keeps my battery lasting 2x longer than normal. idk. I used GPS to go running and listen to music for the past 3 hours plus all my texting and abit of net use and its not even below 70%
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

NeXuS wrote:

Does anyone own a thunderbolt? I think i'm gonna try to get one soon to replace my droid x
Check the lte plans man. Tampa has had it for awhile now, we are a Verizon test market. IIRC the lte plans were not worth switching from my 3g unlimited for $29.99 a month.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
My 3g is $29.99 a month now.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

NeXuS wrote:

My 3g is $29.99 a month now.
Right, but check the lte cost. Last time i checked it was a capped and it cost more.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

ahh .. it seems like its matched now. That wasnt the case while it was in beta here

https://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8013/ss20110414030211.png
Xbone Stormsurgezz
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Yeah i got a little confused lol,  but thanks for showing me that chart.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard