Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Reddhedd wrote:

43. And about 15 that I always say "I should read that...." and never do
Ya, about 15 of them are sitting on my kindle because they were free
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6351|Troy, New York
56/100
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6410|Belgium
Inferno is not a book, it's a cantica. Why don't they just put "The Divine Comedy"? Or does everyone just read Inferno and then skip Purgatorio and Paradisio?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

I got 16/100 on the BBC Book List Challenge.

I usually read nonfiction. History and science for the most part.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone
9 finished.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
To Kill a Mockingbird
Catch 22
Romeo and Juliet
The Hobbit
The Wind in the Willows
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Animal Farm
Brave New World

A few others started. Some seen the movie adaptation (I know it doesn't really count).
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

19. Bleaug. List is pretty questionable though.  I mean sure I haven't read any Jane Austen but I've read things like Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Old Man and the Sea and A Clockwork Orange, even things like Aristophanes' The Birds and Homer's Odyssey which are more classic than Bridget Jones' Diary or the Da Vinci fucking Code will ever be.

A couple on the list I kind of remember reading as a kid - when I was too young to understand them but I used to read a lot of classic stories as a kid. Mostly because it was the only way my folks would happily let me see the movie adaptation. I don't count them though because I can barely remember anything about them.

A lot of books on that list that I want to read. Should steal my Mum's electronic book thing.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

Inferno is not a book, it's a cantica. Why don't they just put "The Divine Comedy"? Or does everyone just read Inferno and then skip Purgatorio and Paradisio?
a 'book' can be a canto/cantica. a 'book' is a general term. one volume of the lord of the rings is a 'book'. a collection of poetry or an anthology is a 'book'. printed drama and plays are 'books'. a collection of essays is a 'book'. i think they're using the term very lightly... and they didn't say the entire divine comedy because of the insane length, i imagine.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

jesus christ talk about auspicious reading before you're deployed to the fuckin' middle-east to kill muslims

american crusades
Nah, they stripped us of all personal belongings, right down to our underwear. They couldn't take away religious texts because of freedom of religion and stuff.
shhhh let him think his thoughts
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

27 apparently. There's a lot of weird choices on there.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma
Guess I should have made this a poll really, and way a mod can do this?
I think it would be best to do it a bit like 75+, 60-74, 45-59, 35-44, 25-34, 15-24, 5-14, less than 5
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio
why isnt bill o'rlys book on that list
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5034|Massachusetts, USA

11 Bravo wrote:

why isnt bill o'rlys book on that list
You can't explain that.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

Whilst on the subject of books, what do you guys think about Kindles? I'd much rather have a physical collection of books, but it also seems like a really cheap and easy way to acquire a lot of books. Just because I'm going to have a lot of spare time on my hands this summer, so I may as well do some reading.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
a bookshelf > a piece of a5-sized circuitboard

the only advantage of a kindle is price... and, well... i like paying a lot of money for good hardcover books. so it's pointless.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5034|Massachusetts, USA
Having a bookshelf packed with hardcovers is a lot more classy than having a kindle.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
even a cheap paperback mass-print edition for $5 bucks is worth more than a kindle... a book you have for life, no matter how fancy the print or how rare the edition. you can pick up a 20 year old paperback edition of a classic and read it, enjoy it, put it on your shelf... and take it down and read it again in the future. reading is an 'experience'. a kindle just turns reading into a novel (no pun intended) experience - a bit of a techno-gadget gimmick, if you ask me. great for having works for reference on the move, though... the search feature and stuff comes in very handy in lectures/seminars when trying to find a particular quote/passage/theme (but that's pretty specific to students)
Brasso
+1,549|6628

Uzique wrote:

everyone is dissing the da vinci code but i bet it was one of your minute fraction . if 1/18th of all the classic literature that you have ever read is dan brown... dare i even venture to guess how much in terms of actual page-proportion... then you need to seriously look at yourself!
yes it was lol.  but i swear it's the one book i've read by him.  meanwhile i've read almost all of the late michael crichton's books, so if we're looking at page proportion, he would take the majority most probably...
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
michael crichton? seriously?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

Whilst on the subject of books, what do you guys think about Kindles? I'd much rather have a physical collection of books, but it also seems like a really cheap and easy way to acquire a lot of books. Just because I'm going to have a lot of spare time on my hands this summer, so I may as well do some reading.
I like my kindle, but not everything is in digital format as of yet. Unless you're trying to build a library or something, it's a lot more convenient. And if you are trying to build a library, it's a fantastic way to weed out the rubbish before you go and lay out money on hardcovers that you may not like.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
'reading' to me is about more than consuming the text-in-itself, though... it's about sitting down in an armchair, or outside in the sun, with a drink and some music... leafing through a book, flicking over pages. sitting and peering at a screen defeats the entire magic of wrapping yourself away in isolation with a good book.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

even a cheap paperback mass-print edition for $5 bucks is worth more than a kindle... a book you have for life, no matter how fancy the print or how rare the edition. you can pick up a 20 year old paperback edition of a classic and read it, enjoy it, put it on your shelf... and take it down and read it again in the future. reading is an 'experience'. a kindle just turns reading into a novel (no pun intended) experience - a bit of a techno-gadget gimmick, if you ask me. great for having works for reference on the move, though... the search feature and stuff comes in very handy in lectures/seminars when trying to find a particular quote/passage/theme (but that's pretty specific to students)
Do you own a Kindle or a Nook? I used to be a guy that walked around with a paperback bulging out of his pocket or stuffed into his backpack. While I still prefer holding a physical book in my hands, my Kindle isn't all that far off, and the convenience factor more than outweighs whatever sensory attachment I still have to physical books.
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

Jay wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I like my kindle, but not everything is in digital format as of yet. Unless you're trying to build a library or something, it's a lot more convenient. And if you are trying to build a library, it's a fantastic way to weed out the rubbish before you go and lay out money on hardcovers that you may not like.
Yeah that's kind of how I was thinking about it. For the moment it gives me access quickly and cheaply to a ton of books, and then once I'm not moving around once a year and am a little more stable I can rebuy everything in paper.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

'reading' to me is about more than consuming the text-in-itself, though... it's about sitting down in an armchair, or outside in the sun, with a drink and some music... leafing through a book, flicking over pages. sitting and peering at a screen defeats the entire magic of wrapping yourself away in isolation with a good book.
Total fucking bollocks.

Translation: "What I care about is the image I project, not the contents"
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
nah but i've had a pretty good hands-on experience and general concensus with the kindle...

they were launched over here in the UK pretty much as soon as i started my degree...

tons of media-savvy, gadget-friendly, middle-class students taking english = tons of kindles being bought eagerly in the first year

now, by the end of the third year, i reckon i see about one kindle a week, max. bit of a gimmick, as i said.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4840|Amsterdam
Theyre handy when travelling

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard