Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney
That's interesting you say that, because I was doing flyes for months until my shoulders started hurting. So I don't do them any more.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
i dunno zimm...i get a better burn with db's
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium
Possibly. Although I've watched countless videos, read several books, asked people in the gym etc. They all told me my technique is fine..

Did 130KG x 5 Deadlift last week.
Attempted 132KG today, but only got to 4 reps.  Meh
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6658|The darkside of Denver
Woah, I was wondering where this thread went!

11 Bravo wrote:

Marine, sometimes its easier to squeeze the pectorals at the apex of the lift with dumbells as oppsed to a barbell lift.  I think this is mostly due to the individual balancing of the dumbell compared to the linear balancing of a barbell. 

In my experience training incline is most certainly more difficult than a flat bench and will develop your upper chest and that nice pectoral sweep from the chest to shoulders.  Its a great exercise, just make sure that on the lift to bring the weights down all the way to just about shoulder level and then press up.  Your elbows should be below parallel when you begin your drive upwards, one thing I also like to do is start with the weights perpendicular to your body and as you reach the apex slowly begin turning the weights to a parallel position to your body.  This will allow a tighter squeeze of the chest at the apex and also bring your triceps into the lift a little more.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2011-03-16 09:15:27)

11 Bravo
Banned

SonderKommando wrote:

it moved like a month or more ago.  put down the weed, hommie

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-03-16 09:09:09)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium
Wow, Sonder, finally you dropped in!

What's up buddy?
SonderKommando

Jebus wrote:

Wow, Sonder, finally you dropped in!

What's up buddy?
I couldnt find the tread.  Thought it just died. 

Nothing much.... just rocking operation swol upper body.  I destroyed my left foot in a football game... no squatting or DL for awhile.  Its almost healed up though.
11 Bravo
Banned

SonderKommando wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Marine, sometimes its easier to squeeze the pectorals at the apex of the lift with dumbells as oppsed to a barbell lift.  I think this is mostly due to the individual balancing of the dumbell compared to the linear balancing of a barbell. 

In my experience training incline is most certainly more difficult than a flat bench and will develop your upper chest and that nice pectoral sweep from the chest to shoulders.  Its a great exercise, just make sure that on the lift to bring the weights down all the way to just about shoulder level and then press up.  Your elbows should be below parallel when you begin your drive upwards, one thing I also like to do is start with the weights perpendicular to your body and as you reach the apex slowly begin turning the weights to a parallel position to your body.  This will allow a tighter squeeze of the chest at the apex and also bring your triceps into the lift a little more.
below parallel.....thats interesting.  i will make sure i do that.  not sure if i do or dont right now tbh
SonderKommando

11 Bravo wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

below parallel.....thats interesting.  i will make sure i do that.  not sure if i do or dont right now tbh
It just seems to give your chest muscles a nice stretch and they have to work harder to get back above parallel.  You'll see alot of guys do incline presses and barely bring the dumbells down to forehead level.  All the body builders I have trained with have taught me to go below parallel.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/exerciseImages/sequences/380/Male/m/380_1.jpg 

see how his elbows are slightly below parallel to his body, thats good form.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2011-03-16 09:20:48)

11 Bravo
Banned
what about flys?  incline?  flat?  or both?
SonderKommando

11 Bravo wrote:

what about flys?  incline?  flat?  or both?
Im with Zimm, flies are a great exercise, but you need to be careful.  Its easy to use too much weight and use improper form, and you can easily hurt yourself doing them.  generally I will do flies towards the end of a chest day when my im already fatigued to get a good final pump in my chest.  Ill do a light weight with three sets of 12 reps.  I rarely use more than 30lb dumbells on flies to ensure good form and controlled reps.

I usually alternate weekly between flat and incline flies BTW.  But I ALWAYS do at least one incline workout be it barbell or dumbbell.

sooo, yea... operation swoll upper body is in effect 

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12050/202238.jpg

Last edited by SonderKommando (2011-03-16 09:29:19)

11 Bravo
Banned
so what is proper fly form?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

11 Bravo wrote:

so what is proper fly form?
Never extend past your back (your arms should always be slightly bent inwards, but your upper arms should be horizontal to your back and NO MORE).

Always do the motion slowly, no power until you hit the middle. Never touch dumbbells.

Rotate shoulders so elbows are pointing outwards before beginning the motion. Keep shoulders at shoulder height.
11 Bravo
Banned
shit i touch the db's all the time.  why not touch them?
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium
Holy damn Sonder, nice work!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

11 Bravo wrote:

As do I. I have for 20 years. ... a slow controlled motion is the key.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.

11 Bravo wrote:

I think the key here is not to slam them or anything like that. Some sort of idea for bench press when you 'don't let the bar touch your chest'. If it does in a slow and controlled manner you're fine just don't bounce the bar off your chest or you're going to face problems later. Same for fly's, if you gently tap them I doubt there's going to be much of a problem.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

11 Bravo wrote:

You can do it, but it won't work out your muscles as well. This is due to the forces automatically pulling your arms in after a certain point, so touching them feels more natural. Try not touching them and you'll see how much harder it is without as much motion involved in your shoulder movements.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4841|Amsterdam
Finally getting some definition in my legs (quads, not calves)
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney

Zimmer wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

You can do it, but it won't work out your muscles as well. This is due to the forces automatically pulling your arms in after a certain point, so touching them feels more natural. Try not touching them and you'll see how much harder it is without as much motion involved in your shoulder movements.
When I was doing flyes I'd bring them up 3/4 of the way, so about a foot or more distance apart. Made it harder.
I think I was hurting my shoulders in part because I was bringing them too low. I guess I felt the lower I brought the DBs down the more it was working my chest.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium
I hope I can get my training session in tomorrow. Have to get up at 4 am. to prepare a prom I'm helping organize. Will be finished in the afternoon, so I hope I'll still have enough time for gym + short nap then so I don't end up crashing down at the prom that night..
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4841|Amsterdam
I'm waiting for my new gym equipment to arrive. The order says: Scheduled for planning. So i guess they'll call me on when to deliver it etc. No working out until then, but I'm not sad about it as my gym got more and more annoying/crowded.
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
It's great having a home gym, I think the wait will be worth it.
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6231
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but this seems like the best place to ask -

Does anyone have any experience with hernias (more specifically a sports hernia)?  I went for a run today after "working out" at home (just pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups) and had to stop after a few minutes because of a dull pain in my groin.  The pain wasn't really that bad, but I thought it would be better to play it safe than risk actual injury. 

I'm not sure if it is a hernia.  I just don't know what else it would be.   I did a little research online but it wasn't all that helpful.

Thanks
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4841|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

It's great having a home gym, I think the wait will be worth it.
I sure hope so.
I figured it out now: They'll call me within four days to see when they can deliver it. They do this because they can't send something this heavy with the regular mailing-service (which would deliver in two workdays) and they need you to be home as they can't really drop this shit off at a neighbour or the post office.
So I'm still waiting for that phone call, it should be today, tomorrow or monday if they don't call in weekends.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard