Uzique wrote:

ITT floppy doesn't have a clue, as per usual
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

burnzz wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

I'm sorry, but I see no development cycle that could send a software program into the operating system pricebracket...

If they sold it for half they would make up the losses in private sales easily... I don't see how it could possibly cost as much as Windows to develop...
because u haz no clue.

photoshop is the standard for the graphic arts industry, and one artist working 8 hours on the cover art to a retail game . . . oh, my bad. you don't pay for those either.

ok, one artist, working in photosh . . . fuck me, you don't pay for anything, do you?

carry on. on some other forum, preferably . . .
Seriously.  Specialized software costs a lot...a real lot...and people pay it because they are quality products.  Look at MATLAB..its like $2k for a single seat commercial license...with no add-ons.  Mathematica, $2.5k.  At work, we have some gene analysis software that's over $2k each year...for one seat, and thats the academic price.  To analyze flow cytometry data, we use software that costs $2.5k per seat, which we have 6 of.  If you need it to do work which generates more income, you'll pay.

See Maya, Lightwave, Solidworks, AutoCAD, SPSS, Statistica, MathCAD, Maple, and countless other pieces of software that cost far more than Windows.
My company gave me an AutoCAD license for home use. I was terrified that I was going to have to spend the $4k out of pocket 
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

JohnG@lt wrote:

My company gave me an AutoCAD license for home use. I was terrified that I was going to have to spend the $4k out of pocket 
our lead surveyor has a dual xeon with 24gb ram, scsi raid beast of a machine. the surveying software he uses can pull down three million points simultaneously, and the output is 3D. the machine that shoots the points is probably 80k, and his job is to get it into a working autocad design file.

yeah, we're gonna jeopardize that by installing autocad the floppy way . . .
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mathematica 8 Home is about $295. I think it's a fair price, considering. $130 for the student edition.
Yes, for a limited license.  The full commercial version costs a metric fuck-ton in comparison.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

our lead surveyor has a dual xeon with 24gb ram, scsi raid beast of a machine. the surveying software he uses can pull down three million points simultaneously, and the output is 3D. the machine that shoots the points is probably 80k, and his job is to get it into a working autocad design file.

I dunno why people even give him real answers. Isn't he a high school dropout that lives in his moms basement and plays video games all day?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

burnzz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The thing is that for the academic world (and I'm sure industry as well), software licenses are the cheap costs.  My lab has a $250,000 piece of research equipment that has a $30,000/year support contract.  That makes the one-time $15,000 cost of the software to analyze the data nearly insignificant in comparison.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5238|Cleveland, Ohio

JohnG@lt wrote:

burnzz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I dunno why people even give him real answers. Isn't he a high school dropout that lives in his moms basement and plays video games all day?
lol
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mathematica 8 Home is about $295. I think it's a fair price, considering. $130 for the student edition.
Yes, for a limited license.  The full commercial version costs a metric fuck-ton in comparison.
Yeah indeed. I'd be proper fucked either way without the Uni license. I think I'd get about a third work less done without it given that I do a fair amount of modelling and stupidly involved integrals etc that would take 15 minutes to do by hand (each!) and take about 15 seconds on Mathematica.

But there's no way I could afford the full license.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Spark wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yeah indeed. I'd be proper fucked either way without the Uni license. I think I'd get about a third work less done without it given that I do a fair amount of modelling and stupidly involved integrals etc that would take 15 minutes to do by hand (each!) and take about 15 seconds on Mathematica.

But there's no way I could afford the full license.
Allowing cheap student licenses is a good way for vendor lock-in, lol...No way would I have been able to learn either Mathematica or MATLAB without university site licenses for students.

Of course, before I used Mathematica aggressively, I had a book of Integral tables....but the computer is much easier, especially with Simplify[...] or FullSimplify[...]!
here's a related story on the decline of audiophiles http://www.npr.org/2011/03/05/134256592 … audiophile
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

Would you steal a tip off a table a fancy French-Japanese fusion restaurant?
why would there be a cash tip at a fancy French-Japanese fusion restaurant?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

why would there be a cash tip at a fancy French-Japanese fusion restaurant?
#WINNING

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-03-06 07:39:42)

-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
Yes, I don't like tips.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
Do your damn jobs properly. FUCK
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6522|Istanbul-Turkey
Same thread was opened 5 years ago, yet you are so lazy to make a search before opening a new one.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=8337

Last edited by Ottomania (2011-03-09 11:30:16)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK

Ottomania wrote:

Same thread was opened 5 years ago, yet you are so lazy to make a search before opening a new one.
I should think that people's opinions have changed in the last 5 years.
11 Bravo
Banned

Ottomania wrote:

no because mods yell at you for necro.  or yell at you to search.  meh
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

11 Bravo wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

No, mods yell at you if you necropost with nothing new to add. If you add something new--like peoples' opinions changing on the matter after five years--then it's not a problem. "Yeah, I still think this is bad, mkay" is not something worthy of reviving a 3-5 year-old dead thread.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
11 Bravo
Banned

FEOS wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

No, mods yell at you if you necropost with nothing new to add. If you add something new--like peoples' opinions changing on the matter after five years--then it's not a problem. "Yeah, I still think this is bad, mkay" is not something worthy of reviving a 3-5 year-old dead thread.
again.  i thought it was a very good OP.  i added an expansion to it of banning all religions in the US.  go wave your edick somewhere else.  im sure there are actual real rule violations happening right under your nose right now.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

No e-dick waving going on. Add something useful to a thread that hasn't been posted to in 3 years other than "I still think this is bad" and you probably won't get any questions about necroposting.

QQ
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard